Two questions from a newbie

Colin4964

Chieftain
Hi Guys,

Firstly, how is it decided which units defend first from a stack?

Secondly, in my current game, I started on a island. I have expanded onto the mainland, however, should I more my capital to the mainland, or build the FP?

Thanks

PS, Playing PTW version

Thanks TyranusBonehead, the Island is large enough for 7 cities, however has alot of tundra.

Colin4964 said:
Firstly, how is it decided which units defend first from a stack?

The unit with the highest defence value. Same experience (reg/vet/elite).

Stack: spearman (2) + archer (1), spearman defends.
Stack: spearman (2) + swordsman (2), spearman defends (by def. even if their defence values are equal).

And of course the fortified spearman will defend before the one that is not fortified.

Now, if their experience is not equal things get more complicated.

Stack: regular spearman (2) + elite swordsman (2), elite swordsman defends.

Given that they have max hitpoints.

Thanks thetrooper, this might be really dumb but to fully understand your answer, does that also mean the best defender defends first when attacking a enemy city / stack.

The same rules apply for the AI too, if that's what you are asking for.

The first defender is the unit with the best chance of success. If damage if enough damage is done to one unit, the next round, another unit could be selected because it has a better chance of success. You will see this occasionally with ships. The destroyers or crusiers will be severely damaged and the transport becomes (unfortunately) the best defender. And when that happens, unfortuately the transport defends.

As the the question of moving your capital:
It depends on how many cities you have on the mainland. If they are even or close, I'd keep it on the island because it is harder to capture in my opionion.

How many cities do you have on the mainland? If you only have a couple, the island is fine. If you have a few, I would build the FP there. I too think that the island is easier to defend. The AI is not smart when attacking on the land, but is terrible attacking from the sea.

searcheagle & Zelda's Man, thanks for your input. I only have 4 cities on the mainland at the moment, want to expand on the mainland.

Personally, I would move your capital. It's much cheaper to build your FP in a city next to the capital and then jump it than to build the FP in a far-away corrupt city. Plus, as searcheagle mentioned, the island will be easier to defend - but that's just the thing. If your capital gets captured it moves somewhere else... if your FP gets captured it vanishes! Better to protect that than the capital, IMO.

Top Bottom