Caveman 2 Cosmos

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoy the game. I suggest next time you try it on a slower speed to get the most out of this mod. Ideally i aim for Snail but some people think thats much to slow to play on. In short normal is not normal anymore if you want to get the most out of C2C.

I'd try to finish my games in under a year :old:

Using smartmap, I had bunch of 3 strength barbarians running around with only strength 1 stone thrower to defend with in prehistoric era.

Those are Neanderthals and I would suggest you research weaving asap to get slingers, then hunting for javelineer (iirc). Also capture animals with the wanderer or scout bring them back to your city and build Animal Standard, Hunters Lodge (for Hunter line), and any other upgrade they might give like mammoth herd, etc. Neanderthals are there for a reason. ;)

JosEPh :)

Those are Neanderthals and I would suggest you research weaving asap to get slingers, then hunting for javelineer (iirc). Also capture animals with the wanderer or scout bring them back to your city and build Animal Standard, Hunters Lodge (for Hunter line), and any other upgrade they might give like mammoth herd, etc. Neanderthals are there for a reason. ;)

JosEPh :)

Also if you are lucky enough to have a stone resource near you, then you can try to build the "Neanderthal Embassy" wonder first and make some Neanderthal units of your own. :D However its hard to do since the AI always seems to get it first.

What? Its a "Great Wonder". He should only be able to build it once. You sure he built it 3 times?

Yes his built it 3 times now and had some neanderthals running around forever :)

Also right of passage does not work.
I just agreed to it with the Chineses and can not walk in their lands without triggering a war.

It happened to me too, but in fact he didn't build it 3 times. He just lost the stone ressource in the city vicinity (destroy by barbarian or something like that), and the neanderthal ambassy stop working.
Then, when he rebuilt a stone tool workshop or remake a road, regaining access to the stone, the wonder start working again (as all other building which need ressource to work).
But at this point the game misunderstund what's happening, and you have the "X has build the neanderthal embassy" again.

Once you know it, it's not really a problem :D

Yes his built it 3 times now and had some neanderthals running around forever :)

Also right of passage does not work.
I just agreed to it with the Chineses and can not walk in their lands without triggering a war.

Right of passage only allows units which can't attack to enter the other nations borders. Scouts, missionaries and such like. If you want to move attack units in without causing war then you need Open Borders agreements.

It happened to me too, but in fact he didn't build it 3 times. He just lost the stone ressource in the city vicinity (destroy by barbarian or something like that), and the neanderthal ambassy stop working.
Then, when he rebuilt a stone tool workshop or remake a road, regaining access to the stone, the wonder start working again (as all other building which need ressource to work).
But at this point the game misunderstund what's happening, and you have the "X has build the neanderthal embassy" again.

ah oki that is what happened. I got confused since the message popped up and said he built it :)

Noticed a bug with the Great Farmer:
With about 20 turns left to place a resource I changed Civics from Public Works (faster Worker Improvement Build) to Private (no bonus in Worker building) and noticed that the Great Farmer restarted the bonus placement from scratch (130 turns on a tundra).
Should that happen? And should Great Farmer placement of bonuses be tied into the Worker Speeds at all?

EDIT: Seems it could have been something else that reset the Great Farmers progress. It happened again, this time with nothing to change worker speeds. From 14 turns to 130 turns, during the time I was doing my turn, so didn't even happen between turns.

Had to stop playing my latest game.

At around 500AD, my production was so high that I would have to queue up 5 items or more if I didn't want overflow from 90% of my cities, my army consisted of dozens of cutting edge units (1000 years ahead of time) and yet was one fifth the strength of AI armies, which were hundreds and hundreds of units. War was completely unmanageable simply because I lack patience and ability to keep track of so many things at once. I had been far ahead of all AIs toward the beginning of the game, but just because I'm human, I was falling rapidly behind.

Also most cities have well over 30 pop. There are far too many buildings and improvements.

Maybe I'll try one of the absurdly long game speeds now. That run was on Epic.

@Brandonazz

Nice to see ya over here on this forum. Yeah snail speed balances things a bit better for production. The only down side is everything takes longer, thus very long games.

Ah that makes sense. The whole city vicinity stuff. I am guessing it has not been applied to wonders much. Which is why we don't see that type of message too much.

Had to stop playing my latest game.

At around 500AD, my production was so high that I would have to queue up 5 items or more if I didn't want overflow from 90% of my cities, my army consisted of dozens of cutting edge units (1000 years ahead of time) and yet was one fifth the strength of AI armies, which were hundreds and hundreds of units. War was completely unmanageable simply because I lack patience and ability to keep track of so many things at once. I had been far ahead of all AIs toward the beginning of the game, but just because I'm human, I was falling rapidly behind.

Also most cities have well over 30 pop. There are far too many buildings and improvements.

Maybe I'll try one of the absurdly long game speeds now. That run was on Epic.

As part of the vast building review adjustment, I'm going to be looking into the production costs of buildings as well.

Additionally, the date is fairly arbitrary and we need reports from playtesters to get it narrowed down to more reflective scales. In particular, I'd like all players to be posting the years that a civilization first reaches Theology in their games. This is a good start if nothing else. But just as important are the dates that your games reach new ages.

At one time, (and I'm not sure how involved Praetyre has been of late) we had someone working on that project here. Even now it's still a good place to post such date reports (along with the game speeds you're on when these stepping stones take place.)

thanks for the mod.

I was playing on deity, and by industrial age i was able to get ahead of AIs. I think there're too many buildings that give money. I currently have +5k every turn. And I can easily buy a decent army every 5-10 turns.

Another thing is, I had an AI nation in last game, that was way way ahead of me in tech and army. But once it got to renaissance it started switching civics every time it could and after 50 or so turns disintegrated into 8-10 rebel factions.

And finally, it takes about 10 min for ai to be done with its turn in industrial/modern age. I stopped playing because of that.

This was a bit troubling to me that a modder would propose this so I though i would post it here for those who are having trouble.

Originally Posted by Koshling
As I mentioned in a post on the c2c ideas board earlier, I just had to give up a play test game several hundred turns in (i.e. - after it would be frustrating for a regular player) due to terminal lack of key resources related to goods chains. In my case it was no pig, sheep, cow, deer, fur resource on the entire land mass, or accessible without ocean crossing.

He goes on to propose that everyone is guaranteed starting near key resources. Here is my response ...

I would like to say that sometimes you just have bad luck. If you happen to be in a place with no pig, sheep, cow, deer or fur you can have the following alternatives ...

1. You might have ivory or bison which will work for leather.

2. If you go out and hunt for subdued animals you could possibly get needed resources that way.

3. You can go the plant method and use hemp or cotton or even silk (not a plant though). That should give you resources for making rope and sails.

4. Wait until the other civs find you and then trade for resources and then build a Great Farmer to build it in your city vicinity.

5. Advance your tech so far to steam ships and bypass the sailing ships.

There are all ways to get off your island. This makes the game more challenging and you have to think of alternative ways to adapt to what you have. Having limited resources is what make each game unique.

In short i do not think the resources should be changed, but you should try to play in a new way to survive. Because not all countries in real life have all the resources and had to adapt to what they had to survive.

I think some of you get set in the way you play. Try some new ways of playing and adapt to what the games gives you. Not every game will be a walk in the park. Sometimes you have to dig yourself out of a hole. But really that makes some of the most rewarding games.

One of our map scripts does allow for that enforcing of certain resources to start in all beginning city projected radiuses (assumed from the start position of the settler). The full of resources map script I think.

And we do need some additional map script support for this mod, there's no doubt about that. The fish issue and many other items I could think of if I tried hard enough are all things throwing off play balance.

I understand your points too Hydro and do not completely disagree - I think its a bit of a cheat to use the Full of Resources script in that manner.

One of our map scripts does allow for that enforcing of certain resources to start in all beginning city projected radiuses (assumed from the start position of the settler). The full of resources map script I think.

And we do need some additional map script support for this mod, there's no doubt about that. The fish issue and many other items I could think of if I tried hard enough are all things throwing off play balance.

I understand your points too Hydro and do not completely disagree - I think its a bit of a cheat to use the Full of Resources script in that manner.

Yeah we could use more seafood.

But it should be a global thing not a starting location thing. Globally the map should be balanced but you should not always start in the best location. Note you can always go into world builder and move yourself if you want to be in the best location (or make your location the best by adding resources). But like Thunderbrd said, you are basically cheating then.

Top Bottom