[Graphic Mod] Varietas Delectat v9.2 [civ specific unit sets]

Thanks to all for your kind words!

(that's what you get for listening to my suggestions :p)
Actually, your suggestions pretty much mirrored my thoughts:) Also, I'm always glad to have insights of other people when deciding what to change/how to proceed! So thanks.

The new knight looks incredible.
Yep, I agree - kudos to whoever made it. The Celts are the one civ I feel I can let expand a bit into the 'fantasy' realm - like female archers, knights with the holy grail symbol, etc. I hope it's not too much.

The celtic worker's big hammer stays around when he's doing other stuff, so he has a hammer and an axe when chopping, two hammers when he's building, etc.

Definitely an error - bad animation was used. Thanks!

The celtic warrior looks a lot like the Gallic, it's a bit hard to tell them apart. This can be problematic to war plans sometimes :p

Take a look at my next post:)

The Celtic War Elephant...
...but the rifleman looks kinda washed-out
...have you seen this incredible Egyptian rifleman?
Will see the celtic elephant and the rifleman. About the Egyptian one, I don't know. It looks a bit too much like a musketman to me...

Once more, thanks for your comments!

I seem to have merged this mod with my own, but I can't seem to get all of the graphics to display properly --- for example, the Russian Horseman displays the default Knight, and the Russian Knight displays the Byzantine Cataphract...

...Any ideas on how to alleviate this?

I seem to have merged this mod with my own, but I can't seem to get all of the graphics to display properly --- for example, the Russian Horseman displays the default Knight, and the Russian Knight displays the Byzantine Cataphract...

...Any ideas on how to alleviate this?

The FPK files should remain exactly at the place they were (i.e.: under Assets). Other than that, you can check the Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml under Modules/Varietas Delectat ... , and check if you modified it; also check if you enabled modular loading...

I haven't gone thru all the posts here, but am wondering how do you merge this with another MOD?? I am new to this merging stuff.

I depends on what you want to merge. If there's no conflict between the xmls, it's pretty much only copying the mods together.

You'll need to merge Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml for sure, and the UnitArtstyles you are using. At least.
And to extract the units you want you need Civ4 PakBuild :
Windows XP: http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads...y/PakBuild.zip
Windows 2000: http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads...ld-Win2000.zip

cant i just leave the pakbuild the way they are i am making everything Modular.
do i have to use everything that you have like the XML stuff also, or can i just put the pak stuff and the artfile in the modular area and go from there?

cant i just leave the pakbuild the way they are i am making everything Modular.
do i have to use everything that you have like the XML stuff also, or can i just put the pak stuff and the artfile in the modular area and go from there?

There are xmls coming from Ethnic Artstyles that cannot be made modular. Those are the XML files that are not under Modules....

And sure, you can leave the packs, but if you are not using all the units from it, you'll soon get a sizeable unnecessary overhead in your MOD.

The FPK files should remain exactly at the place they were (i.e.: under Assets). Other than that, you can check the Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml under Modules/Varietas Delectat ... , and check if you modified it; also check if you enabled modular loading...

Modular Loading is enabled, and I haven't changed anything --- it just doesn't seem to be getting all of the custom graphics for some reason.

Modular Loading is enabled, and I haven't changed anything --- it just doesn't seem to be getting all of the custom graphics for some reason.

What's the other stuff you wanted to merge this mod with?

What's the other stuff you wanted to merge this mod with?

Some balance fixes, new traits, unit name fixes (Klibanophoros instead of Cataphract, as that unit definitely isn't based on the Kataphraktoi), better civics... In short, I'm not sure which would be more work: merging your mod with mine, or mine with yours? :p

I'll likely just have to try something drastic and see what happens... Like starting from a clean slate.

Actually, your suggestions pretty much mirrored my thoughts:) Also, I'm always glad to have insights of other people when deciding what to change/how to proceed! So thanks.
You're just asking for me to bombard you with every niggling detail now! For example, did you know that the flags are backwards on the arms of the American Infantry? :p

Yep, I agree - kudos to whoever made it. The Celts are the one civ I feel I can let expand a bit into the 'fantasy' realm - like female archers, knights with the holy grail symbol, etc. I hope it's not too much.
Maybe it's just my scottish blood, but I reckon the Celtic set is awesome, and not too much at all. I love the whole thing of "what-if" units.

Will see the celtic elephant and the rifleman.
I got up to rifles in my game, and they look fine in-game, must be just a civilopedia thing.

About the Egyptian one, I don't know. It looks a bit too much like a musketman to me...
Bah, I'll add it in myself then! I just found out that it's all .nif and .dds anyway so it shouldn't be too hard :D Speaking of which, check your inbox in a couple of minutes...

Once again, all the new units for the next update look completely awesome!

Some balance fixes, new traits, unit name fixes (Klibanophoros instead of Cataphract, as that unit definitely isn't based on the Kataphraktoi), better civics... In short, I'm not sure which would be more work: merging your mod with mine, or mine with yours? :p

I'll likely just have to try something drastic and see what happens... Like starting from a clean slate.

The things you just listed should not conflict with this mod. So it should be pretty much straightforward. Good merging!

... For example, did you know that the flags are backwards on the arms of the American Infantry? :p!

Wow!:) Actually, I might just check that one out:lol: Thx

edit: Hey, Mr. Eagle Eye :lol: Do you like what you see? :)

Spoiler :

My personal mod is a bit more complex and almost dropped in without a hitch. I had to edit a few of Avain's modular xml files to avoid conflicts and get some of my custom units & buildings working properly but overall it was pretty easy, especially compared to merging non-modular mods.

The easiest way would be to start with a clean copy of Varietas Delecat and add in your mod piece by piece until conflicts arise. However, none of my 'rule' changes created any issues at all so it's possible you're may just plug right in without any manual merging at all.

@Avain: Any idea when/if you'll be hitting the modern era units, particularly tanks & planes?

@Avain: Any idea when/if you'll be hitting the modern era units, particularly tanks & planes?

I still have a couple of non-mechanical units to add; after that, we'll see.

I have a question: I've been playing with v.1.5 update and I haven't seen any flavor units yet while playing as Ottomans. Is this a bug, or did I do something wrong. I have archers, axemen, spearmen and swordsmen which are all vanilla graphics.

How do I get the fancy ones? Thnx.

Top Bottom