Do The Maya have the strongest start?

Navelgazer

King
Hey all,

I almost made this a poll before realizing that almost every civ had some claim to a very strong starting strategy under ideal conditions. I've been curious, though, about who the community thinks has the best capability to sort of "hit the ground running" as it were.

I know I like Carthage for this on a naval map, but that's probably confirmation bias more than anything. Aztecs are great for grabbing a lot of culture policies early and building population, which as is common knowledge now is the key to almost any victory. Ethiopia and The Celts can both virtually guarantee themselves a religion even on higher difficulties, and Germany's army grows like mad almost from turn 1.

Spain and Japan can both get rolling early, but it requires a good bit of luck for each of them, and the Incan production bonus leading to food bonus is incredible. Still, playing around, I feel like The Maya have the best super-early bonuses that require little to "go right" and snowball into more and more bonuses as the game moves along.

What do you all think?

On a map with small islands, Polynesians ability to cross oceans is a big boost, but for most maps, I'd say Babylon has the biggest head start with a planted GS with Writing.

Shoshone have a very strong start, I would consider them the best at hitting the ground running aside from Spain. Spain getting 500 gold is the quickest God mode in the game without a doubt though.

The maya have a good start with tradition and pyramids. A few atlalists can get the pyramid protected and rush early for fun. I found early atlalists more fun... the pyramid wasn't that fun though.

I'd second the Shoshone. Being able to choose your tiles from a much wider variety from the start likely means you'll grow quicker than you would other wise, combine that with the +1 population from ruins and you'll be much bigger than anyone else in the game. Choosing free techs is also extremely useful, I managed to get a turn 40 Great Library on my latest game as the Shoshone on Marathon speed and Emperor difficulty, so the same as a turn 27 Great Library on standard . Also had 6 population, a pantheon, a free monument and a composite bowman.

I personally believe the Shoshone are top tier because of their start, it's just so much better than anyone else and spirals throughout the game. I ended up being the tech leader by 14% (Going by demographics) where as it would normally take me until around 30% to catch up with the leader. I also ended that game with my highest ever final score at 4775 so it was a good game for me. But yeah, don't underestimate the Shoshone start!

Polynesia first as the ability to embark over ocean from turn 0 is just so useful.
Shoshone with a bit of luck in finding ruins second.
Spain with a lot of luck in having Krakatoa, GBR, and FOV in close proximity third.

The Shoshone get my vote.

A tip for those who don't already know: Shoshone Pathfinders upgrade to Composite Bowmen rather than mere Archers. Just one can turn an Ancient Era army into a juggernaut.

The Shoshone get my vote.

A tip for those who don't already know: Shoshone Pathfinders upgrade to Composite Bowmen rather than mere Archers. Just one can turn an Ancient Era army into a juggernaut.

I had no intention of being a war monger until I got my comp bowman with no terrain penalty right at the start. Other civs didn't even have archers yet, it was just too obvious, had to war. Fast moving comp bowman vs warriors? Please.

Shoshone definitely has a very strong start. I'm surprised that nobody mention babylon.
Very early academy, the early science is very strong. Plus, if I want to go aggressive, I can do a bowman rush, 9 ranged combat strength is quite good consider it replaces archer. And if I don't want to go aggressive, the wall is quite decent too.

Spain have the potential for the strongest start of any civ but its very random.
Babylone don't have the randomness of Spain but probably have the second strongest start.

Why would you think that Japan have such a strong start compared to some of the others? They don't seem to me to have many starting advantages - perhaps a bit of extra culture - but its not until Steel really that you get going with them - with the Samurai (and the advantage of Samurai being able to work sea tiles).

Shoshone definitely has a very strong start. I'm surprised that nobody mention babylon.
Very early academy, the early science is very strong. Plus, if I want to go aggressive, I can do a bowman rush, 9 ranged combat strength is quite good consider it replaces archer. And if I don't want to go aggressive, the wall is quite decent too.

I had in the first response, and I'm surprised it took this long for another to agree.

I'm going to cast another vote in for Babylon. While the Shoshone can really get going quickly with land, the Pathfinders are dependent on ruins. There's nothing random about Bab's GS- always comes at the same tech, always nets the sames yields. While Spain's gold may be better, it's just far too unpredictable for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you think that Japan have such a strong start compared to some of the others? They don't seem to me to have many starting advantages - perhaps a bit of extra culture - but its not until Steel really that you get going with them - with the Samurai (and the advantage of Samurai being able to work sea tiles).

Because the extra early culture can mean a lot, especially if you start out near an atoll.

A civ not mentioned yet is Russia. With good strategics around its a lot of early hammers.

Also Hun's. Only civ that starts with free tech. +1 hammer from pasture is also massive.

I guess you could say maya could have a future start since the pyramids give science. ... there are other civilizations out there, too you know.

A civ not mentioned yet is Russia. With good strategics around its a lot of early hammers.

Also Hun's. Only civ that starts with free tech. +1 hammer from pasture is also massive.

Same with Poland (although it comes a bit later with the ducal stable) but extra hammers early can leverage into superpower status later!

Babylon, Shoshone, and Maya all have very strong starts.
I have to say Babylon is stronger, but the Mayans are up there.

Top Bottom