Nationalism vs. Internationalism

Would you consider yourself Nationalist or Internationalist?

• Nationalist (Think all countries look after their own intrests)

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Fairly Nationalist

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Neutral (Think current world political situation is effective)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Fairly Internationalist

Votes: 25 32.9%
  • Internationalist (Think all politics should be on a world level (eg. Global Tax))

Votes: 14 18.4%

• Total voters

Truronian

Quite unfamiliar
Retired Moderator
I was wondering about peoples opinions on this particular political line. I'm interested as I'm the only person I know who's highly internationalist. I believe borders and countries only strengthen racial conflict, the rich/poor divide and military activity.

I'm pretty much international in my views, but I would not support a world government or a body so powerful as to regulate tax and other such matters at a global level. The ideal setting would be free movement of individuals and states competing for citizens.

I think a united EU would be excellent, because I don't like the ideas of major world powers (eg US at the moment, Chine in the future).

Reno said:
That's pretty controversial, since a totally united EU, would become a major World power.

Yes, but there would not just be one. Superpowers tend not to fight (eg Cold War) and so I think having a few major powers rather than one would be good for peace

Truronian said:
Yes, but there would not just be one. Superpowers tend not to fight (eg Cold War) and so I think having a few major powers rather than one would be good for peace

I agree that they would not want to fight, but if they did it would be disastrous for humanity (nuclear war).

A Nation should always look after it's own citizens first. I've long thought we should return the the Pre-WWII state of mind. What happens in Europe is Europes problem, whath happens in Asia is Asia's problem.

Godwynn said:
I agree that they would not want to fight, but if they did it would be disastrous for humanity (nuclear war).

I s'pose. Its kind of like nuclear power plants. They are more efficient, but they could meltdown.

I voted fairly internationalist.

I consider myself to be a patriot, but not a nationalist. The difference being that a partriot wants their country to be the best in the world, whereas a nationalist thinks it already is. My own usage of terms anyway.

As I've argued extensively in other threads, Euro-Nationalism of the Winner/Marla sort is not a form of internationalism, but rather a broader form of nationalism. It may use internationalist rhetoric, but European Unification is ultimately a nationalist enterprise.

As a side note, I don't particularly like the word "nationalism", as I believe it presents an outdated image of the phenomenon. Nationalism implies unity behind a common ethnicity, and while this is accurate for nationalist movements in nation-states, who, after all, were founded on the basis of common ethnic heritage, it is no longer accurate for nationalism in the EU or in America. After all, these are both multi-ethnic states. There is no "European" or "American" ethnicity.

I prefer "Patriotism" for that reason.

European nationalism is no better than French, German, British or American nationalism.

Probably neutral. I feel that the nations that have realized they are fairly similar politically(EU) have come together and become more international, and that is to be expected, and nations that differ in politics and have more power have become nationalist(US, China, Russia). Interesting thread though.

EDIT: 2500th Post! [party] :band:

Aphex_Twin said:
I'm pretty much international in my views, but I would not support a world government or a body so powerful as to regulate tax and other such matters at a global level. The ideal setting would be free movement of individuals and states competing for citizens.

My views precisely. There should be free movement of people, goods and services worldide, but the thought of one single world government seems a bit scary to me.

And I've also been accused by my fellow countrymen of anti-patriotism, and that is a truthfull accusation. I truly dislike patriotism.

Top Bottom