Pollution

Smackdown

Chieftain
well, pollution exists in another way...
you dont have to send your workers around this time, thats what wasnt fun to deal with...
now it makes your city unhealthy, thus leading to even lose population (so, same effect, different approach)

well hopefully it will be representative of global climate change's very serious effects although I personally doubt this... After seeing Civ 2's rather serious global warming effects on the map turn into Civ3's one square change (and often into a beneficial square) I suspect that pollution effects will be even more watered down in the new game, which is unfortunate, as Global Climate catastrophe will be the most important issue that will affect human society this century.

Smackdown said:
Well... at least that "pollution" is gone. So now we can get back to reality where pollution doesn't exist because "it's no fun to deal with".

I do recall a US leader refusing to sign Kyoto because then he thought it was no fun to deal with the climate.

For the game I am happy that one pollution effect (polluted fields need cleaning before they can be used) by another effect (people are less healthy which hampers food surplus)

I like the new set up too, although I do agree with smackdown that it is one of the biggest issues in the coming century, as well as the civ2 global warming REALLY made you scared (and made me cry once) to get it.

I guess its a question of how heavy handed they are with the health. It can always be MODed to be more drastic, like plagues of smog killing millions of citizens.

Top Bottom