"Our words are backed by nuclear weapons!"

Shigga said:
I wonder if you can really provoke the AI into nuking you (or some other civ) in the first place. Never happened in civ3.

Actually, there was this one game I played in Civ3 as the Romans where, by throwing a single nuke at the Americans from one of my nuclear subs, not only did my allies stick by me (only 1 of 14 nations that I wasn't at war with declared war on me after the initial attack on America, whom I was already at war with) but the Americans retaliated by nuking 5 of my cities with ICBMs the following turn!! After that, my allies (and the rest of the world, pretty much) gave me permission to use my entire nuclear arsenal on America, which I did! :goodjob: :nuke: In about 10 turns the majority of North America was completely buried in nuclear fallout. Also, those allies of mine that weren't at war w/ America before this declared war on them.

This Civ game was the ONLY time I've seen the AI not only NOT turn against you after using nuclear weapons, but stick by your side after you're nuked. It was like they felt sorry for me and that I was justified in using my entire arsenal!! :nuke: :nuke:

PS -- If you're wondering, this game was in CivIII: Conquests w/ no mods.

Actually, Silentmage, your story suggests why we need nuclear subs and tac nukes. I reckon if you had nuked him directly-from one of your cities-things would have gone VERY differently for you. Being able to launch nukes from a secret place, that can't be traced back to you, would be a very mean way to hit out at a civ-but would be soooo cool ;)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Actually, Silentmage, your story suggests why we need nuclear subs and tac nukes. I reckon if you had nuked him directly-from one of your cities-things would have gone VERY differently for you. Being able to launch nukes from a secret place, that can't be traced back to you, would be a very mean way to hit out at a civ-but would be soooo cool ;)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.
Absolutely!! Or if you could mod the game so that the victim of nuke attack would ask everyone "who was it?" Then you had the option to lie (with of course certain risk to get caught) That way you could try to put the blame on the attack on some other nation :lol:

"Release Radioactive Monkeys of War!!!"

LauriL said:
Absolutely!! Or if you could mod the game so that the victim of nuke attack would ask everyone "who was it?" Then you had the option to lie (with of course certain risk to get caught) That way you could try to put the blame on the attack on some other nation :lol:

This is similar to the option you had in SMAC where your spy could frame another nation for an espionage action that you commit -- of course, there is a chance that you can still be linked to the act and thus have 2 nations declare vendetta on you: the one you framed and the one you conducted espionage on!

I've been waiting for a Civ game that had the option to frame other nations for your espionage acts. If such an option gets tacked onto the spy unit we can apparently build in CIV (based on the pictures of the world editor that have been posted) I will be a very happy world leader!

SMAC spoiled me. :)

I have to admit I'm quite disappointed by the the lack of tactical nukes in Civ4. In fact they are quite usable - and I used them quite effectively on large/huge (continents / panagea) maps in Deity games. Here are some advantages of tactical nukes that the people claiming that they are no better than ICBMs do not mention:

1. TN are significantly cheaper than ICBMs - basically you can build about 2 TNs for one ICBM.

2. TNs Require one technology less - this allows you to build/use them earlier (sometimes this is *very critical* - especially if you have to capture as soon as possible the capital of the AI going to launch Spaceship in about 10 turns, when you need 12 turns to research the Satelites).

3. You can move them - think about this when the AI captures your close to the border high productivity city (with sneak attack) and you loose 3 ICBMS before even having the chance to use them.

Thunderfall said:
Why would you want to get nuked? ;)

I haven't tried provoking AI into doing that. But if the AIs already dislike you alot and they possess nuclear weapons (expecially before you do), I don't see why they won't use it to good effect.

Personally I don't use nukes much myself (I'm mostly a builder), but nevertheless it's great to have such wonderful nuke effects. :) And it's not just nuke effects. There are great effects for many other things in the game.

It's not one of the setup options, but you can edit it out if you want.

I once go tinto a nuclear war :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:
the screen was pretty bright for a while, and my people were dieing, and their people were dieing, it was fun until it was the AI's turn. As long as you have more production and more nues, your safe... :crazyeye: :king: :goodjob:

narmox said:
I'm not really sure, but I think "nuclear winter" is a term of the past, that scientists in the 80s revised that theory and claimed it was false. Carl Sagan and others might have been involved. Too lazy to do research on that right now ;)

Yes, the nuclear winter theory is based on several assumptions, none of which is the most likely. It has indeed been criticized by many scientists. Apparently Carl Sagan said in 1991 that there would be a "winter" and crop failures due to Saddam setting the oil wells ablaze. This didn't happen.

And even if the nuclear winter theory were right, and it probably isn't, it would still take hundreds to thousands of nukes to bring it about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

Sagan famously predicted that smoky oil fires in Kuwait (set by Saddam Hussein's army) would cause an ecological disaster of black clouds. Retired atmospheric physicist, Fred Singer, dismissed Sagan's prediction as nonsense, predicting that the smoke would dissipate in a matter of days.

The sound did play in my head

All I can say is BOOM. Like I always say after every major explosion in video games :goodjob:

Thunderfall, I don't think you noticed my post before, but I asked if you could please clarify whether there is the option to ignore a UN resolution or if you are forced to follow it.

You can't ignore a UN resolution once it's passed. You could try to revoke it later though by proposing the resolution again and vote against it. Everyone has to vote on a resolution.

Much like in SMAC. :love:

Oh well, I've been screaming for the UN do do something in the game since forever! I guess I can't complain when it's finally done and it's not exactly the way I like it. :hmm:

Ofcourse there's always the option of nuking the UN to smoldering embers, the bones of inaduaquate diplomates glowing like so much satan spawn, and finally sending in troops to raze the unfortunate city to the cursed ground it was build on, thereby exterminating thows pesky peacekeepers once and for all!!! MUAHHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!
:dance::dance::dance::satan::dance::dance::dance:

[/a very disturbed SMAC episode]

Damn be SMAC, cuz you were unable practically use Planetbusters! Cuz damned planet started to spawn hundreds of damned worms as
"retribution" for making two continents out of one! Hope there will be no spawning rebels and pesky freedomfighters)))

aahz_capone said:
Much like in SMAC. :love:

Oh well, I've been screaming for the UN do do something in the game since forever! I guess I can't complain when it's finally done and it's not exactly the way I like it. :hmm:

Ofcourse there's always the option of nuking the UN to smoldering embers, the bones of inaduaquate diplomates glowing like so much satan spawn, and finally sending in troops to raze the unfortunate city to the cursed ground it was build on, thereby exterminating thows pesky peacekeepers once and for all!!! MUAHHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!
:dance::dance::dance::satan::dance::dance::dance:

[/a very disturbed SMAC episode]

Well actually you Can't nuke the UN to embers, because a NPT stops you from Using Nukes as well. (you'd have to raze it with tanks and Then do your massive nuke attack.

Krikkitone said:
Well actually you Can't nuke the UN to embers, because a NPT stops you from Using Nukes as well. (you'd have to raze it with tanks and Then do your massive nuke attack.
:twitch:
:wallbash:
Then that is what I will do, goshdarn it! :gripe:

[/EDIT: oops! sorry, Turner, didn't know that was a :nono:. :salute: ]

SilentMage said:
PS -- If you're wondering, this game was in CivIII: Conquests w/ no mods.

Ok that explains it then. I never got around to buying Conquests after my hugely dissapointing experience with PTW.

PS Thunderfall: Is it possible to do spy missions and blame other nations? :)

Top Bottom