Culture flipping

Pinstar

Ringtailed Regent
I've noticed the unhappiness when one city has a lot of culture pressure put on it... and I've had only one or two cities actually flip culture. What happened to an AI just giving you a city because it's upkeep is so high due to the cultural pressure on it? Flipping a city by culture is alot slower than it was in this game. Heck, I even had a barbarian take one of my cities (on a hill with an archer) and it took like 60 turns to flip it back to me.

If you go culture heavy then you will start flipping nearby AI cities. I was able to flip two that were near me. After that happened the AI changed religions and then attacked me though. /shrug

Have a couple of small Spanish cities (of a different religion, theocratic) sandwiched in the middle of my territory between two large cities. I've already set off an artist culture bomb in one, plan to do the other asap. What else can I do to get them to flip?

Played on Noble with Saladin in my first game, started Buddhism and started to turn the German border cities to my side. I went then to culture up to the point when my border was directly next to his city tile. Usually the cities went first into unrest for some rounds and then flipped to my side (4 out of 8 cities over a game - standard map). :D

Second: Made a cultural bomb next to a Roman city and also pushed culture there. After some time the city tile was TOTALLY SURROUNDED by my border :eek: (the cities were in normal distance from each other 4 tiles or so, had another cultural strong city on the other side). He declared war and then I conquered it before it could flip

Culture is hellish important, by pressing it your borders will expand and the neighbouring cities will either flip or totally be trashed because they can only work half of tis tiles.

Downside: Cultural pressure will cause diplo minus points (border issues or so), but who cares :D

Crayton said:
Send your Army!!!
"I don't care if you DON'T want my culture...Have Some!" :lol:

Yes you can. It took forever to do it tho. I'd think barby cities would be easy pickings since they don't seem to follow the normal rules of cities. (Never seen them in 'unrest' produce units quickly relative to their size)

In the one game I played, it sure seemed like culture flipping is harder than in Civ III. I had Queen Victoria slide in a settler in the corner of my continent, and I watched as my borders went right up to the city, but it never flipped. I had the idea that in Civ III I would have had the city a long time before that.

A similar thing happened later on with another city I was pushing...never flipped.

Top Bottom