Great People Tech Prefences

Looking through Jeff1787's charts it appears that masonry has been removed from GP tech preferences thus restoring the GP CS slingshot. Is this correct?

Looking through Jeff1787's charts it appears that masonry has been removed from GP tech preferences thus restoring the GP CS slingshot. Is this correct?

Spoiler :
<Flavor>
<FlavorType>FLAVOR_MILITARY</FlavorType>
<iFlavor>3</iFlavor>
</Flavor>
<Flavor>
<FlavorType>FLAVOR_RELIGION</FlavorType>
<iFlavor>8</iFlavor>
</Flavor>
<Flavor>
<FlavorType>FLAVOR_PRODUCTION</FlavorType>
<iFlavor>6</iFlavor>
</Flavor>
<Flavor>
<FlavorType>FLAVOR_SCIENCE</FlavorType>
<iFlavor>4</iFlavor>
</Flavor>
<Flavor>
<FlavorType>FLAVOR_CULTURE</FlavorType>
<iFlavor>2</iFlavor>
</Flavor>

So if I'm understanding what FLAVOR_RELIGION means, the answer would be no since that chart is wrong.

Edited to add: Just tested in game. No such luck. I have a screenshot but photobucket is down at the moment.

Great Prophet:
Drama
Aesthetics (BTS)
Alphabet

Now if you understood all that here is the full list of what great people will give you (preference runs top to bottom on all)

Great Prophet:

Drama
Alphabet
Aesthetics (BTS)

Hmm - which one is correct? Aesthetics before Alphabet or vice versa?

<shameless-plug>

Load the BUG mod (see my sig below) and you can see which tech each GP will research based on what techs you have researched and have selected to research in the TechChooser.

</shameless-plug>

<shameless-plug>

Load the BUG mod (see my sig below) and you can see which tech each GP will research based on what techs you have researched and have selected to research in the TechChooser.

</shameless-plug>

Does BUG conflict with HoF-Mod?

BUG includes some of the same mods that HoF includes, so they need to be used separately. The reason is that they modify many of the same files. While you could try to run them together, I expect you'd get mixed results.

BUG includes some of the same mods that HoF includes, so they need to be used separately. The reason is that they modify many of the same files. While you could try to run them together, I expect you'd get mixed results.

so this means if I am using BUG I cannot play any GotM or HoF games any more :(

Hof includes most of the usefull BUG things...

I keep struggling to find it, i wish it was stickied. Everytime i end up looking on the third page before i realise it was on the first!

It's also possible to slingshot Civil Service with the use of a Great Merchant, in any version of either vanilla or Warlords. Here's how:

- avoid Bronze Working so as to block Metal Casting
- avoid both Priesthood and Monotheism so as to block Monarchy
- beeline Pottery - Writing - Mathematics - Currency - Code of Laws
- also get Sailing and Mining
- either build the Great Lighthouse, or build a market and hire two Merchants to pop the Great one (while you research Code of Laws and the other techs)
Uh... what?
Right... avoid all those... better to just slap my butt and call me Sally

Uh... what?
Right... avoid all those... better to just slap my butt and call me Sally

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

What, the technique? Or the butt slap? :lol:

Hey, whatever turns you on. ;)

I guess my point is you don't know what turns you on until you tried it. :lol:

I never said whether a Merchant to Civil Service slingshot was a good idea, just that it's possible. :) Yes, skipping Bronze Working is usually undesirable.

However, I do bulb CS with a Merchant later with some regularity. Once you get Monarchy, Currency, Code of Laws, Alphabet, and Metal Casting, then Civil Service is available. The only ways for CS _not_ to be the Merchant bulb target now are if you've gotten Theology to open Paper or Guilds to open Banking. So if a Merchant happens to come along (perhaps from the Great Lighthouse), bulbing CS can be a good option.

AItrade 10 means the AI is NOT willing to trade the tech - all the military techs seem to have 10.

This means that on Vanilla there are two ways to do a Civil Service slingshot... Great Prophet or Oracle. Nerfed in Warlords and BTS though, due to Mathematics being a requirement and Masonry researchable by Great Prophets.

Top Bottom