Sub-Par graphics, congrats firaxis.

Technically it's not even alpha yet. Can somone quote the post(s) containing other game's alphas?

I liked the graphics in theses screenshots, specially the water. Don't know if Civ would work with photorealistic graphics.

I'd settle for those graphics. I'm sure they can clean it up and add details and 'character' without making it extra hardware intensive.

I never stated I would compare game graphics that are Civ knock-offs. That came out of the hole in your face you call a mouth.

I won't change your diaper either, I won't retract any remark, and you can just deal with it. Everyone likes good graphics, but things like this:

look like crap. Do I care? No. But it does look like crap. Will it improve, I'm sure it will. But right now, this is what they have released. Back to your rabbit hole.

Tom

Even these pre-alpha graphics are better than civ1, 2, 3, and 4 in my opinion.
I dont see what your complaining about.

Even these pre-alpha graphics are better than civ1, 2, 3, and 4 in my opinion.
I dont see what your complaining about.
Pffft... don't exaggerate. They're good for alphas but user made graphics (the true strength of such games is their moddability) are far better.

Pffft... don't exaggerate. They're good for alphas but user made graphics (the true strength of such games is their moddability) are far better.

I'm not exageratig. I like them better than civIII graphics because of the 3d and smoother texture and I always hated how in civ4 terrain always got in the way of
other tiles, just my personal opinion.

It's tough to bicker with someone who doesn't listen. My comparison is overall in 3d games. I never stated a Civ knock-off or Civ equivalent game as you keep clinging to.

The graphics as par are average, nothing mind-blowing or stellar. If you don't understand what that means, then I won't waste my time with your intellectual inabilities any longer.

The thing I am impressed with is the graphic scalability... which is terrific, the game should run on almost any gig.

Tom

Whatever. Constantly insulting people isn't helping your cause by the way. :rolleyes:

When making comparisons you should compare apples to apples. Stick within the general genre. Comparing apples to oranges isn't very helpful.

Compare the Civ series to the Age of Empires series or the Total War series for example. Not an exact match but they do share some things in common.

Whatever the case, all I am really concerned about is that the graphics are better than cIV and they clearly appear to be. That makes me a happy camper.
You seem at least content with them but not overly thrilled.

Agree to disagree.

I really like Paradox games and I think they have never been state of the art graphical masterpieces. I am excited about Victoria 2 which is coming out in June.

A screen shot of it:

Here is a trailer. I think the map looks beautiful. Very nice graphics in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGDMgNJbaGQ&feature=related

Here is another Paradox game called Rise of Prussia. It's a turn based war game but with simultaneous turns. Interesting. I really like the look of the map even though it's not state of the art. I apologize for the size. I'm going to have to try it out.

Here is an upcoming release called Vainglory of Nations. It's a turn based wargame with a time frame of around 1850-1920. Apparently you will have 1,000 turns. :D

Once again, not overwhelming graphics but I like them for an alpha screen shot.

If you don't understand what that means, then I won't waste my time with your intellectual inabilities any longer.
Run outta methylphenidate kid?

Clearly you don't understand that when making a claim the burden of proof falls on your shoulders. Now obviously we know you have no factual contingencies for this and its all just your self important opinions. So feel free to carry on.

Do you need your sippy cup?

even rome total war looks better ..
have anyone of you seen empire total war ? pure pwnage graphics there!

With a bug riddled disastrous game with incredibly bad AI. Pretty nice graphics though I'll admit. It did sucker me in. :(

I'm hoping that I won't have to upgrade my computer to play. CiV should follow the Stardock mentality of being playable on a wide range of computers.

Its TBS, I don't need flash graphics just give me something workable that contains great game mechanics. I've upgraded my computer for games in the past but I'm kinda over it.

"Sub-par graphics", right...

Better graphics does not make the game better. However, over the top graphics with little fountain in gameplay/mechanics mean the game company has a bad track. Firaxis has a good track on making good games. So, complaining about subpar graphics on any preview screenshot at this stage (alpha) is moot. Wait 2 months before release then complain about any graphics there.

chalks - In golf, either a 3, 4, or 5

Tom

Well dodged, but if you're going to post in this thread I would like you to qualify your statements about the graphics being sub par. What are you defining to be "par" in order for these graphics to be below it?

The reason I ask is because I think you are doing a cross genre graphical comparison, which obviously holds no water at all.

I would prefer 2D graphics. All good graphics do is make the computer lag, hog RAM, and stress the graphics card.

I would prefer 2D graphics. All good graphics do is make the computer lag, hog RAM, and stress the graphics card.
This is why I'm really hoping that Firaxis have managed to make things a lot more efficient and scalable this time around. If there's one thing I don't like about Civ 4, it's how the interface still feels laggy even on modern PC, and this is considering that the game is half a decade old now.

why does firaxis send out "alpha" screen shots? why not just wait until the graphics are done. Or would they not have enough time to promote the game?

its just flamebait for children. Though seriously Mr Wonka, they send em out early, even though they're not that great just to generate some buzz. I don't see what the big deal is people, good graphics does not equate to a good game, in fact its pretty much the opposite. Waste valuable resources on shiny graphics and you end up with a game that has horrible gameplay, AI, or both. Theres already plenty of examples of that in this thread.

Top Bottom