Can any civ go for a domination victory?

oPunchDrunko

Prince
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Obviously a civ is going to be geared towards a victory. For example, Zulu (domination), Korea (science), France (cultural), etc.

Could a civ like France (or and other civ for that matter) just as easily go for a domination victory like Zulu or the Mongols?

The reason I ask is because really the only victory I go for is domination.

Any civ can go for any victory condition, only some have some advantages with certain ones. Unless you only fight in one era, all the civ's tend to balance out for domination, though some do have obvious advantages at times.

As easily no but it's possible yes. Zulu are just crazy for domination while France doesn't have anything truly exciting. But yes you can play France and win via domination, don't really see the point though, seems kind of boring to me, like trying science with Zulu.

Strong science civs like Korea are good at everything since every victory requires some amount of teching.

Any civ can actually go for a domination victory but there will be a chance of loss if the civ isn't as unique for military..

If you've got one of those great starts where things are going your way (you win the wonders, you have good resources, you find lots of ruins, etc, etc) yeah, you can do it.

If the capitals are coastal cities get battleships and destroyers and it's done deal.

The Dromon is a terrific military unit that is extraordinarily helpful in early rushes and does something no other unit can do until Medieval era. Byzantine UA has some problems, but they aren't a military slouch.

I'd argue that Portugal is probably the civ most tilted away from domination, with no real military uniques at all, but by the late game your economy will be so stupid strong that it should balance out for them.

The Dromon is a terrific military unit that is extraordinarily helpful in early rushes and does something no other unit can do until Medieval era.

ie, until turn 80? But setting aside the horseman vs pikeman problem.

BNW really did make domination a lot more of a pain than the other conditions, while making limited late era blitzes really easy at the same time. Any civ can gobble up half a continent with artillery or bombers, especially if you've opened ideology by turn 200 and have the happiness bonuses online. But it's hard to continue beyond that point without a lot of tedium. Killing 80 GW/modern infantry units with range attacks? No thanks.

I favor civs with Honor synergy or speed bonuses that can start conquest earlier in the game, when war is a lot more fun, hopefully bag the starting continent before WC. Zulu, Denmark, Songhai (Songhai knight is basically just Berserker with 1 extra movement), Japan if I can produce armory and 5 samurai in time to take cities with just melee and almost no range support - not often. (If you can get your melee set hitting on cities before the cities become too strong, you end up with a lot of march promos and the late game war is more flexible and fun.)

As easily no but it's possible yes. Zulu are just crazy for domination while France doesn't have anything truly exciting. But yes you can play France and win via domination, don't really see the point though, seems kind of boring to me, like trying science with Zulu.

Actually, on lower difficulties (~emperor) I find that a civ like France brings some good heat on the other civs in ways that, say, the Zulu cannot. For instance, France will quickly get you influential over other civs, which allows easier conquest (less population and building loss when conquering a city, less resistance) and hurts the other players with dissidents due to the inevitable difference in ideology.

On emperor or lower, I will intentionally take a non-warmonger civ because attacking from another angle (religion, tourism) makes the domination win easier and a little more fun. It's great to not just squeak by, but truly dominate the civ you are taking down. Any setting above emperor, though, and you're asking for trouble. You just don't have time to develop a secondary aspect of your civ. You have to pick your victory condition and go straight at it using your civs unique traits.

The Zulu and the huns are known as good warmongers... The aztecs... maybe the shoshone? Some civilizations can do good for domination and some can't.. Germans are also known warmongers.. Maybe Russia? Naming a few civs good for a domination victory..

Actually, on lower difficulties (~emperor) I find that a civ like France brings some good heat on the other civs in ways that, say, the Zulu cannot. For instance, France will quickly get you influential over other civs, which allows easier conquest (less population and building loss when conquering a city, less resistance) and hurts the other players with dissidents due to the inevitable difference in ideology.

On emperor or lower, I will intentionally take a non-warmonger civ because attacking from another angle (religion, tourism) makes the domination win easier and a little more fun. It's great to not just squeak by, but truly dominate the civ you are taking down. Any setting above emperor, though, and you're asking for trouble. You just don't have time to develop a secondary aspect of your civ. You have to pick your victory condition and go straight at it using your civs unique traits.

On lower difficulties while France spends time to try to be influential before conquering, Zulu has already conquered the world with composite bowmen :p

I understand that you can do domination through a different angle, for fun, using the influence mechanic. But this is just like I said, it's something doable. But Zulu are just better at it if your measurement to compare the two is time to finish.

I don't see Assyria get much mention.

Not only the siege tower, but you also get an early Brandenburg gate with the UB.

Yes, Assyria is also a formidable civilization for domination needs. ..

On lower difficulties while France spends time to try to be influential before conquering, Zulu has already conquered the world with composite bowmen :p

I understand that you can do domination through a different angle, for fun, using the influence mechanic. But this is just like I said, it's something doable. But Zulu are just better at it if your measurement to compare the two is time to finish.

I pride myself on turn 450 domination victories - when everything is juuuuust perfect.

And Assyria can do both, as the Royal Library gives them an early advantage to tourism influence that nobody else has.

I'd say Venice is the most difficult civ to go for domination, due to the maximum unit you could have and you can't annex city. Still it's possible to go for domination as Venice even on deity.

Top Bottom