[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

Just a thought: maximizing the supported map size would also be very, very nice, if possible... :)

Gigamap size (32,767) has been available for many years now, thanks to Mercator's map edit 2. Of course I mean more than that, c'mon!

A ranged attack for missle units (arrows, artillery, rockets, torpedoes, spells etc.) would be super cool too, but I am just dreaming here...

A ranged attack for missle units (arrows, artillery, rockets, torpedoes, spells etc.) would be super cool too, but I am just dreaming here...

Indeed!
At the risk of sounding like a broken record - that might be scriptable with lua. If a pressed key can trigger a lua event, one could define triggers for each of the eight neighboring fields ("q", "w", "e" etc) which are then checked for enemy units. At the same time the currently active unit is checked for its type. And then something happens. :) (eg. 10% of current hps are subtracted, so it will never result in complete destruction, or ......)
I guess the main issue would be balancing, but on the other hand it could be tailored to any specific needs of the scenario (fireball unlike artillery unlike arrows ...)

Let me go out on a limb and ask the direct question: :)
TNO, is there a "key pressed" trigger at the moment? Could there be one in principle?
(if you could get around to completing the lua guide thread I guess this would answer itself, but no pressure please! :) )

Agreed. All this is a huge burden on just one guys shoulders, and TNO work and dedication is phenomenal, and I have to say I am sincerely grateful for everything he has done already. Lua scripting by the community could take some workload off his plate, indeed.
@TNO: At the risk of sounding like a greedy brat again, could you add a pillage order for air units? Like stategic bombing against terrain improvements (roads, railroads, airfields, forts etc.), please?

I think it is totally no exaggeration to state that TNO is a proper hero to the CIV2 mod community...
His hexxing that allowed unlimited gold, units and cities alone is enough to gain him the hall of fame.

I would even say that I would be happy to make a donation via paypal to show my thanks,
and I am sure others here would also donate to him if he needed any support to continue...

Just saying...!

I have a suggestion/request: I tried to make a modded version of the Scifi game where after FTL ship arrived or you opened the EarthGate, you returned to find an Earth conquered by another planet, forcing you to have to liberate the planet to actually get any help from the Terrans. But I didn't want to remove one of the four maps to add Earth, so I presumed that because the Rules.txt file has eight bits for goody huts on maps but each bit is for only one map, that I could throw in a fifth map by modifying the rules.txt file and some other text files in my mod to accommodate the existence of an Earth map being map five. I knew there was no way to have an eighth civ serve as the super antagonist without using the Barbarians, so I was going to change the purple civs into the oppressor race.

But, when I tried to load it, it still only had 4 maps. I know there's enough bits in the goody hut line to support up to eight maps, but nothing else seems to allow for it. My first request is a feature to allow modification of the Rules.txt file to add maps beyond the fourth map, up to an eighth map, more space for custom units, techs and improvements (I need to grant the oppressors their own tech tree and units to separate them from both the humans and the klackons), an extra city style for just the oppressors, a way to make it where it's impossible to even have a cease-fire with the oppressors, and, if at all possible, a spot for an eighth civ besides the barbarians so I can keep the original twenty-one civ options and have the oppressor race be an extra color (maybe even allow the choosing of their color through hex values?). It doesn't matter if not all of them can be done. But the one I really hope can be done is allowing more map layers. I can adjust to not being able to get any of the other things I requested.

EDIT: Didn't realize the unit limit had been increased to 127. How do I put extra units in the Rules.txt? What are the specifics for adding them?

EDIT2: If someone could lua script such things for me instead, or teach me how I could pull it off, please let me know. TNO has already created an amazing patch to breathe new life into an old game that I love, and he has a bunch of stuff on his plate already, so I'd love to know if I can already do these things to take the pressure off him.

EDIT3: I agree with Curt. I'd gladly donate to help TNO out so he can continue... If I weren't flat broke, anyway (I truly don't have even a cent to my name right now, and I'm unemployed. But that's changing soon, so If he needs donations some time down the road, I'll gladly donate to help him out once my folks are finished setting up the new family business and we start making revenue).

I think it is totally no exaggeration to state that TNO is a proper hero to the CIV2 mod community...
His hexxing that allowed unlimited gold, units and cities alone is enough to gain him the hall of fame.

I would even say that I would be happy to make a donation via paypal to show my thanks,
and I am sure others here would also donate to him if he needed any support to continue...

Just saying...!

I would also be more than willing to contribute if that would help the project in any way. ToTPP has given Civ2 scenario creation the shot in the arm it needed. Just when you think this wonderful old game is breathing it's last something new comes along and I'm addicted again :goodjob:

@TNO: At the risk of sounding like a greedy brat again, could you add a pillage order for air units? Like stategic bombing against terrain improvements (roads, railroads, airfields, forts etc.), please?

Now that is a really good idea. It would really solve the old strategic bombing dilemma for scenario designers. For example in WWII scenarios German industry could be dependent on mines (also representing oil fields) and the Allied bombers could be put to good use bombing (pillaging).

Now that is a really good idea. It would really solve the old strategic bombing dilemma for scenario designers. For example in WWII scenarios German industry could be dependent on mines (also representing oil fields) and the Allied bombers could be put to good use bombing (pillaging).

You know, I was about to type my usual "Let's lua ..." - but then I noticed that according to the lua scripting guide, the terrain improvement flag can only be read, not set in lua scripts. :(
At least for now. ;)

In general i think this would again make a prime example of the power of scripting - implementing it in the main code would of course be a very good solution too, but on the other hand one could do some real fun stuff with scripting (like, only mines can be destroyed but not roads etc) ...

@TNO: Echoing the "at the risk of sounding like a greedy brat" sentiment - do you think that lua extensions might be possible? Or perhaps even creatable by community input in some way so it's not all on your shoulders?

TNO, two quick questions based on your excellent ever-growing writeup of lua functionalities - would if be possible in principle to create a "Set" method for all instances where a "Get" method exists? Specific background is the civ.getPlayerTribe function - would a setPlayerTribe work? (like via cheat menu I guess?)

That would work, though it would work the same way as the option in the cheat menu, with similar problems (like a tribe getting a free second turn for instance).

And another concerning triggers (very much looking forward to that section in your documentation btw ;) ) - is it possible to have an event trigger by key-pressed? (e.g. we could script road-building pioneer units where a pressed "r" key triggers a check for terrain etc and changes the tile)

All triggers are currently described in the "migrating events to lua" document (need to get back to that documentation thread ;) ). That's all there is for now, though this would be a good addition.

However, after installing and starting a new game I noticed that all new units are built without a supporting home city, i.e. NONE. This seems to hold true for the AI as well.

I think you may have found a bug there. Will investigate.

This sounds intriguing. I'm curious how to implement this. Where in my files would I place such a script? When customizing it for a scenario, do I only need to modify the part in quotations (i.e., the unit name "Warriors")?

Just put it in events.lua. Take a look at the events.lua file for the Sci-fi game, distributed with the project for examples. Yes, you'd want to modify the unit name, but also add some checks to see for example if city.size > 1 to begin with. Otherwise you might end up with some unexpected results.

I was wondering about "Veteran" status lately, it would be fun if higher levels than "Veteran" could be implemented?
Perhaps a further status, of "Elite"...:)
Attainable using the same method as regular/veteran units are promoted, and giving another +50% attack, etc?

Is there also a way to use the "Veteran" system to add other upgrades to units?
Like more moves or more defence? Just a wild thought...

The veteran thing was mentioned before, it's on the list already. I agree it would be an interesting modification.

I have one question, not really a request because I understand it has to do with the domain mechanics and it may not be possible.
You know how air units can be allowed to/ restricted from attacking other air units by switching the fighter flag on/ off?
Can a similar flag be made for attacking ground or sea units?
For example to make pure interceptors that can attack other air units only or torpedo planes that can attack sea units only?
This effect can be achieved now by giving air units the submarine flag, but it only works over water tiles.

I don't see any technical objections, would need to add some unit flags for that. I'll put it on the list.

I think what TheNamelessOne has done is amazing. I'm incorporating the features of the previous ToTPP release in my current scenario project. But I'm hesitating to throw out my events work and stop work to learn Lua. Unlike some, I don't have a computer background.

Changes in the Patch up to now have been extensions of the existing program. Adding Lua is different, as it replaces a major feature of ToT. Over the years, I've learned how to use the ToT macro language and flatter myself that I'm pretty good at it. Unlike Tootall, I find it reliable. Good ToT scenarios take huge amounts of time to make, and I'm not sure I want to spend the time learning an entirely new events language. With the greatest of respect, can someone explain why it would be worth doing? Thanks.

Well, it doesn't really replace it, if you don't put an events.lua file in your scenario, events from events.txt will still be loaded. Though it is currently not possible to load both macro and lua events. I can imagine that converting a scenario that's almost finished would be a pain. So let me stress that this isn't necessary at all, you'll just lose the extra functionality offered by the lua bindings. I won't drop support for the macro language in future versions of the project.

I can definitely understand that - if a combination of scripts and lua was possible then that could really solve a lot of such issues I guess.

I agree, this could make adopting lua events a lot easier. I'll try to add a way to load both in the next release.

I noticed that the "bribe city revolt" diplo/spy option does not allow for the new limitless gold factor.
It will not let you subvert/bribe a city if the doubled amount exceeds 30k gold. And if the regular bribe
is more than 30k, the option is greyed out...

Perhaps we should consider allowing the bribe amounts to be limitless too? Although some may
argue it puts a good cap on spy actions...At the same time, so would a bribe cost of 100k!

Just something that might be easily fixed for the next update...?

Yes, I think that would be an easy fix.

May have been asked already, but there is no way to add more techs to the list? I may be wrong but was it mentioned that it might cause problems?

Adding extra techs would be about as difficult as adding the extra units. Not trivial, but definitely possible. This is already pretty high on my list btw. :)

That sounds interesting, and shouldn't be too hard. I'll take a look.

Just saying...!

Thanks, I appreciate the gesture, but there's no need. If you could donate your free time though... :p

But seriously, the project will still continue as long as I'm able to work on it, just at its own pace. Sometimes I can spend more time on it, sometimes less. That's just a matter of balancing the project with RL stuff I'm sure everyone can relate to. :)

@TNO: Echoing the "at the risk of sounding like a greedy brat" sentiment - do you think that lua extensions might be possible? Or perhaps even creatable by community input in some way so it's not all on your shoulders?

Well, the problem lies in the bindings with the game, you can write as much lua code as you want, but I'll have to supply the interface with the game. I guess it depends on what you mean by "extensions". You could write a utility library in lua that provides higher level functions on top of the civ library (just like the civlua library), and use it in scenarios.

@UNITS_ADVANCED column C in Rules.txt specifies minimum bribe amount. Set it to -1 to prevent subversion.

... However, after installing and starting a new game I noticed that all new units are built without a supporting home city, i.e. NONE. This seems to hold true for the AI as well. Is there a settling in the launcher I overlooked, is it intentional or did something odd happen?...

Hi TNO,

I was playing Curt's new Bitterfrost scenario this weekend when I started noticing as well that all the units I was building were homed to NONE. At first, I thought maybe Curt had somehow done this on purpose and was planning on asking him how he did it.

But having read ElderDarkDragon's thread and your feedback that this might be a bug, I decided to run a quick test on my own ongoing project and see that I'm encountering the same issue (I haven't begun the testing phase yet, so that's why I didn't see the problem before now).

I have the most recent version of TOTPP installed, i.e. 0.14. and have the game folder installed on 'C:\Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles'.

Let me know if you require further information.

Do the new Lua scripting events enable the changing of leader names/genders or the changing of the AI playing style (such as from aggressive militaristic to rational expansionist) midway through scenarios? Or is that still in the plans for a future release? :)

I had already asked TNO about the leader name and gender, and even the tribe name, and he had said it SHOULD be possible, if I recall correctly. I hadn't asked about changing personality attributes mid-game, but then again, how reliable is the AI as is to follow the ones they have, really? I still remember shortly after buying my first copy of Civ2 back in the mid '90's, my friend was trying an early game on my computer, which I bought the same day, and I suddenly heard from the room the surprised and shocked exclamation, "Gandhi is making threats!".

Top Bottom