Sulla's Civilization IV Walkthrough

A suggestion:

When I went to read part 2, I was surprised to not find it linked from the main page. Instead, I had to go through all of part 1 in order to get to part 2. That's not so bad now, but by the time you get to part 5 (for instance), it's going to be very tedious. Can you put the links on the main page, instead?

This is a very good resource, and I thank you for your hard work. I look forward to the rest of it.

Since your sliders as of part 2 are set at science 90% and taxes at 10% how the heck does culture work? I would think you wouldn't be growing if you didn't have at least 10% in it?

Also is there a certian level or set variables for your religion spreading. I mean would Hindu have spread to Vicky any faster had you a temple or cathedral? Also why wasn't Medina already your religion? Your settler came from your holy city, you would think it would be totally converted.

Yup. Exellent work and great reading. It's a shame I won't be reading any more after I get the game (tomorrow).

One thing that's surprising me reading this is the seemingly rapid expansion. It's hard to get a precise feel for it but it seems as if his expansion vs city size leads to plenty of early worker and settler action. I like seeing the building of wonders so seemingly early (as far as empire size goes) too.

I wonder how many people will be trying Saladim first after reading this walkthru? ;)

Probably a dumb question, but the "red dot" (marking the potential spot for the next settler) and the city radius, is that something in the game, or photoshopped in after? If it's in the game, that'd be GREAT for planning out your area...

VERY nice,

Three questions though
1. Culture (same question as Javal Tiger) do you get it the same as in Civ3 (buildings make it) or is there additional ways to do that.

2. Non-State Religions what are their effects? (particularly in multi religious cities)

3. Is city maintenance cost related to the upkeep cost of civics?

I can't wait to read about how you happen upon another civilization and it wipes yours off the map in quick order! . . . .

Well, at least thats the normal sequence of events in "MY" games. :)

:mad: :mad: :mad: Please post part III before I resort to playing another 1/2 game of Civ III!!:mad: :mad:

I can't take it anymore. My G.D. preorder didnt even ship from gamestop blah blah.

damn.

I'm going to have to buy another non pre-order version in the morning

edit: I love your walkthrough so far, by the way. next best thing to playing the game i guess :cry:

Krikkitone said:
VERY nice,

Three questions though
1. Culture (same question as Javal Tiger) do you get it the same as in Civ3 (buildings make it) or is there additional ways to do that.

2. Non-State Religions what are their effects? (particularly in multi religious cities)

3. Is city maintenance cost related to the upkeep cost of civics?

I'm pretty sure that, with BudJewish just north of him (India), we're going to see the answer to #2.

As for speeding it up, please do. But I'm not too worried: my order doesn't ship until tomorrow (if it DOES ship, and I'm not one of the many screwed by Amazon's delays :( ) and won't get here until the weekend--at which point it'll return to the carrier's warehouse until Monday. So having this spread out over a week isn't too bad.

I just hope it arrives before the weekend. I actually have time off from my volunteer job, but the weekend after, I'm back to going to bed early on Friday, getting up at 3am on Saturday, working 7 hours, then going home to go back to bed.

Pragmatic said:
Probably a dumb question, but the "red dot" (marking the potential spot for the next settler) and the city radius, is that something in the game, or photoshopped in after? If it's in the game, that'd be GREAT for planning out your area...

Sulla used one of his image programs to add the red dot and red city-footprint outline to a screenshot. (It's not in the game).

Dotmaps(TM) to communicate city planning are a tradition that began in the first Realms Beyond succession game, back in winter 2002, and spread through the SG community. (Succession games need to communicate plans from one player to the next who will be taking a turn at the game, or to discuss plans as a team).

The most powerful dot is the infamous Pink Dot(TM). Firaxis was wise to tap in to its power and harness this energy force in the development of Civ4. :lol:

Sulla is clearly saving up the Pink Dot for more important uses. ;)

Civ4 does have the ability to draw on the map to communicate some things in multiplayer, though! See the game manual for more details.

- Sirian

That last picture brings up something interesting. It looks like England's York has expanded its boarders, yet it did NOT gain controll of a 1st ring tile. Your capital still owns it despite it being THIRD ring?! Wow.

Clearly culture is going to be a lot trickier to manage in civ 4 than it was in civ 3. There won't be an settling somewhere and automatically pushing somone elses boarders back either to get tiles to work, or especially to claim resources (removing a semi exploit in some situations)

I await tomorrows instalment. Keep up the good work.

- Maniac

I'm wondering why you didn't go for Writing after Animal Husbandry. Given that you are in contact with 3 civs, and Writing (I think) gives you the ability to trade techs (but not gold), wouldn't you have been able to jump start your tech by trading for Mining from Ghandi, Agriculture from Egypt, and Fishing from Vicky?

Or do all sides need to have writing for that to work? I realise you probably won't get a wonder tech or a military tech. You'd also be able to build a library, for culture and research.

Thanks Sulla for a great part 2. :)

On the 1000BC screenshot the screen says "camera flying enabled." Thus I assume there is a 'restricted' graphics mode and a mode where you can spin the screen around like mad and such. Does leaving camera flying disabled noticably reduce the draw on the graphics card?

This is awesome, Sulla!!! I'd probobly be in a mental hospital if you woudnt have posted this :) great work buddy :) now i just cant wait for the rest of the story :p

Top Bottom