Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Thanks M. The way I think about it, new art is like seeds for a fertile imagination. Just give it time and let it grow.

First row: Satrapal archers and infantry
2nd row: Immortal archers and spearbearers

Attachments

• Tanelorn More Persians.png
    Tanelorn More Persians.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 916
I'm really pleased that you are doing more unit art, Tanelorn. I've been missing Fairline, and maybe this is just the thing that we need to get the creative juices going again around here. It's been my observation that game art, especially units, drives a lot of the interest in this forum, perhaps even moreso than the scenarios themselves.

This is good stuff. You're a talented artist, and I hope you keep it up! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Tanelorn Sardinian Nuragi archer.png
    Tanelorn Sardinian Nuragi archer.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 396
Well put Techumseh!

Tanelorn,

Great choice, exactly the sort of warrior I had in mind. I had been using an Iberian unit but it wasn't really appropriate. I have started putting the new units into A Soaring Spirit and they look great. The only slight issue I have now is that they don't match with some of the existing units, such as farmers and traders. If I posted my unit file with the units marked do you think you would be able to modify them to fit the taller / chunkier ToT style? I think there's about ten in total, you have covered all of the other units needed already!

Here are the units I am missing:

Slave (First left - Top row): Acquired upon city capture via events

Engineer (2nd left -Top row)

Citizen (3rd left - Top row): Used to expand the new colonies and perhaps some other uses.

Colonist (4th left - Top row): The only unit allowed to found a new city.

Latin Spearman (4th left - 3rd row): I may use this slot for something else, but if you fancied making an updated unit be my guest ;)

Phoenician Hoplite (1st right - 3rd row)

Recruiter (2nd left - Sixth row): For bribing barbarian units

Spy/Envoy (3rd left - Sixth row): I could combine this unit with the recruiter?

Trader (4th left - Sixth row)

Merchant (5th left - Sixth row)

Some of the units I picked originally were selected for their artistic merits and are not vital for gameplay. I am still fiddling around with the units, but it looks like there are plenty of suitable Hoplites and other units to pick from. I may have to swap a few shields around and so forth before the final selection is complete.

Attachments

• Units.png
    Units.png
    140 KB · Views: 919
Here is a screen shot of the units I placed on the map to help me sort out the units.bmp. I think they look stunning. These new units have really inspired me to crack on with this project. Hopefully I have enough wind in my sails to get to finish it now :D

Attachments

• UnitPrev.png
    UnitPrev.png
    486 KB · Views: 943
Ok, here it goes. Part I:

Attachments

• Tanelorn units for Mac.png
    Tanelorn units for Mac.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 872
  • Tanelorn units for Mac II.png
    Tanelorn units for Mac II.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 854
  • Tanelorn units for Mac III.png
    Tanelorn units for Mac III.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Tanelorn Mesopotamian Merchant.png
    Tanelorn Mesopotamian Merchant.png
    4 KB · Views: 371
  • Tanelorn Carthaginian sacred band.png
    Tanelorn Carthaginian sacred band.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 369
To my eyes your work has improved to the point where it is indistinguishable from Fairlines, a great compliment to any Civ2 artist. You are a great asset for this small community! It certainly makes designing much easier and much more fun. I agree with Techumseh that unit art is often the driving force on this forum. I know it fires my imagination. Soon there will be no unit not covered in the ToT style :D

I was meaning to ask you for those. Thanks. As mentioned at some point I am gonna make a request for some units(and other stuff pretty soon-I must first get real life out of the way)

Thx Mac & Peri. I really appreciate it. I am currently doing graphics for Antigonos o Monphthalmos by Prometheus.

Top Bottom