Spanish Civil War ToT Mod

History is told by the Winners.
If Germany would have won, we would be the Good Huns now!

Yeah, it would be helpful, to show Hex Editing Things to the whole Community, public.
Sad, mad and lonely, ugly Huns like me dont have the Luxury of an Agricola Bimbo.

The Untermenschen hate me, i dont know why... :confused:

McMonkey said:
Er, yeah...anyway

Yeah, my dark Humor blew up another Horizon!

And Nicheal, you can't call SL members Bimbo! Play nice and show some respect FFS.

No, no. In Germany "Bimbo" means, Worker, Slave, stupid and limp Supporter. The Guy for anything...
For sure, is Agricola a super Member, and he has my full Respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To have such a most valuable Modder by your Side, is a highly desirable Thing for every Member
of this Community!!! Sad, and that, my dark Humor wanted to show, that such a Fortune
is not granted to me... you are lucky, to have such a most valuable Modder by your Side,
that was my Statement!!!

In all my Megalomania and Misanthropy, and Arrogance, i ever try to respect and face,
though, the Humans coming to my holy Eyes, werent worth, to reaching them, sadly.

I wont ever start to hex edit Civ2 ToT. Big Faults i try to avoid.
A Failure like killing Wonders would have killed me, having, as a Hun, no Agricola.
And by the Way, no Catfish, no Tanelorn, no Fairline... sneef. Doom of the Huns.

And i am looking forward to finally being able to play your Spanish Civil War Scenario!
And i thank much the most valuable Working Bee Agricola, for the holy Salvation of huge Efforts!

May the Scenario be a Pleasure to us all!

:goodjob:

Agricola said:
The odd blizzard is a small price to pay for living in God's own country.

The only Gods own Country i know, is in my Trousers...
all the Rest are Liars, Weaklings and Mortals.

@Nicheal

As far as I’m concerned, you have two simple choices:

1. Keep on insulting people but don't bother to ask for help.
2. Keep a civil tongue and help will gladly be provided.

The only Thing the simple Hun in me, has understood, is

1. aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr? and
2. graaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

Too late. Any Help is generously refused. To die alone, the only Grace will be, o graceless Living, dying Agony.

:)

Er, yeah...anyway, I found this link to a hex editor download through Catfish's site and this guide in a thread started by Mercator. I loaded up the save file in the editor and that's when my brain started hurting. It may take me a while to get my head round this (bearing in mind I struggle getting the ToT converter to work first time!).

There is a load of other information available. I just searched Google for: guide to hex editing civ2

And Nicheal, you can't call SL members Bimbo! Play nice and show some respect FFS.

@McMonkey

My head hangs in shame - somehow I managed to miss two FE's (hexadecimal) that needed to be changed to FF's. :(

Mercator's MGE and Catfish's TOT Guides are the best guides to hexediting CIV 2.

@Tech

The odd blizzard is a small price to pay for living in God's own country. :)

Down here it's been the usual mix of sunshine and air-conditioning since we got here in November, interspersed with occasional, much-needed showers. Tough life.;)

@Nicheal

@Nicheal

Nicheal,

I sincerely hope you follow option 2 as we are a decent bunch here and we have survived for this long by showing one another respect. Option 1 will lead to a ban!

@Agri,

After taking a look at the hex editor myself I have nothing but admiration for you hex wizards. I think I would stand a better chance of deciphering ancient Aramaic :lol: Still I must try and learn it so on with the guides. At least I can crack on with the scenario for now though.

The time is 14:24 on 21/1/13 and I'm very pleased to say that I have just finished the last (essential) item on my TO DO list. There are still some changes I plan to make to enhance the playing experience, but if I had to release the scenario right now I could. This first version has been designed as a two player head to head game, but with the events system the Ai could put up a good show in single player. As it is I doubt it would be a major challenge for an experienced player, but with some manipulation of the rules and events I think I could make it a lot tougher.

Would anyone be interested in playtesting the current version and helping me identify the changes I need to make to convert this into a challenging single player scenario?

I think I would be best off making a Republican and a nationalist version, each with their own altered events and rules. Hopefully I can just increase the number of event spawned units and the unit stats for the AI controlled player and add a few move unit events to help direct the action. Decreasing the player units should also make it harder for them to steamroller the AI.

I would like to work on the Nationalist version first as I have played as them in PBEM games and their objectives are much simpler to gauge historically. Any ideas are welcome.

Here's a screenshot to wet the appetite:

Attachments

• SCWMOCKUP.png
    SCWMOCKUP.png
    391.9 KB · Views: 332
I'm just trying to save the game as a scenario using cheat menu and something is puzzling me. To check the events worked I used the DELEVENT tool on the sav file and added the @DEBUG line into the events. Everything with the events seem fine, but now whenever I load the save or the scenario the debug still runs, despite me removing the line for the events and dropping the save and scenario files onto the DELEVENT tool. I remember this happened with one of my other scenarios, but I can't remember how I got rid of it. Any suggestions?

Ignore my last post. I went through the whole process again and now it works. I'm certain I did exactly the same thing again, though this time I shut the game down whilst doing it. Perhaps DELEVENT won't wipe the events from the save or scenario file whilst the game is running!?

Something else is now messing with me a bit. When I begin the scenario as the Nationalists every city automatically changes its production to House of the People (Courthouse). Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

Give every city a House of the People. :p Seriously, give one to the cities who should have one, then take away the required technology.

Controlling the production of AI cities is an important, but often overlooked, aspect of building a good scenario. The AI probably senses an overabundance of units and a high rate of corruption, hence it's time to build courthouses - just a guess, I really have no idea how the bloody thing makes decisions.

btw, I'm still waiting for the files.

techumseh,

I was wondering if you fancied a head to head game like we did with your American Civil War scenario? I'm trying to arrange a rematch between Jerec and myself at CivWebring where I will play as the Nationalists. It would be interesting to play it from the Republican side too. If you are too busy then don't worry. Just thought it might be fun :D

Well I guess we follow the same format as the ACW game and post our turns on the forum. I will start up a new thread. I'm going to take a look at the House of People problem today and I will send you an amended scenario file if I can work out a solution. Feel free to take some time to familiarize yourself with the scenario a bit more, but after I have sent the files through you can start when you are ready as the Nationalists go first.

As well as being a good excuse for a fight, this playtest game should highlight any bugs and I hope we can come up with some ideas for the single player versions.

I followed techumseh's advice and removed the option to build the House of the People improvement and a lot of the other improvements. This simple solution makes sense to me. After all, who would expend energy building a Cathedral or Library in the middle of a Civil War with bombs dropping everywhere! I have left the vital military improvements like city, coastal and AA defences.

EDIT: I will send you the amended files in an wee while!

No, no. In Germany "Bimbo" means, Worker, Slave, stupid and limp Supporter. The Guy for anything...

One important aspect of that term is missing, especially when looking at AGRICOLA´s avatar:
In Germany, during the 19th and 20th century, the word "bimbo" had the dual meaning as racist term for a person of African descent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbo. The other disregarding attributes must be added to that fact.

In Britain it has a different meaning:

bim·bo
n. pl. bim·bos
1. Slang A woman regarded as vacuous or as having an exaggerated interest in her sexual appeal.
2. Slang A vacuous person: "a male bimbo ... who even has to be tutored ... in the clichés that comprise the basic interview" (George F. Will).

Now lets move on as this is meant to be a thread about the Spanish Civil War :goodjob:

Tech,

Here are the fixed files to drop in the scenario folder. Play when you are ready.

I have been formulating my battle plan and I have to say this scenario is just as fascinating to play from the Republican side as it was when I have played as the Nationalists versus Jerec. The way Spain has divided up, with isolated regions and thin corridors providing vulnerable lines of communication, is fascinating. Certainly much more challenging than a straight front line with two sides facing off!

Attachments

• FIXED SCW FILES.7z
    43.8 KB · Views: 80
Now lets move on as this is meant to be a thread about the Spanish Civil War :goodjob:

Yes, I hope it will be an interesting game, even for us lurkers. :)

Top Bottom