Religion Change in Civ 4!!!!!!!!!

Whatever the religious text says seems mostly irrelevant, there are enough verses and passages to pick from to be able to justify anything, both in the quran and the bible. When you add to that that a lot of people who claim to be of a certain religion haven't read the holy text of that religion the problem with religious authority becomes obvious :p

Whatever the religious text says seems mostly irrelevant, there are enough verses and passages to pick from to be able to justify anything, both in the quran and the bible. When you add to that that a lot of people who claim to be of a certain religion haven't read the holy text of that religion the problem with religious authority becomes obvious :p

Please pick out the verse in the New Testament of the Bible which categorically states that it is the duty of all Christians to lie to non-believers and engage in other deceit and backstabbing behaviour worse than Sury, Joao and Cathy combined.

I agree that it should be that one city one religion and great prophet as religion founder, not just the first who reach specific tech. And then some extra benefit from religion like commercial via Islam and health via Judaism. It would be better in this way.

Please pick out the verse in the New Testament of the Bible which categorically states that it is the duty of all Christians to lie to non-believers and engage in other deceit and backstabbing behaviour worse than Sury, Joao and Cathy combined.

I found the verse. Mark 44:11 states "It is the duty of all Christians to lie to non-believers and engage in other deceit and backstabbing behaviour worse than Sury, Joao and Cathy combined."

Kinda strange that the bible made the civ references but... there you have it. :goodjob:

Yes, but I should point to Exodus 20:27- "Thou shalt not necro eight-year-old threads, especially if thine thread hath already been necroed." :mischief:

Spoiler :
"These words and commandments of Civ must ye keep in thine heart, for all them that playest Civ must follow these precepts, and abideth by the same. Thus sayeth the RNG."

But in Deuteronomy 3:19, it says that "Threads that hath been necroed 4 years ere their creation, will perchance be necroed 4 years ere the last post, and so on, and so on, forever and for after, so sayeth the Lord." So perhaps he is merely fulfilling the prophecy of the thread! Mayhaps he is the latest prophet!

Or perhaps he has poor situational awareness, or doesn't like to read dates. I don't know.

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT
:dance:
CivFanatics Party
:band:

Date: Spring 2019

:beer:[party]:cheers:

Be there, or be...
:trouble:
uh... smacked in the head with a bat, I guess.​

Yes, but I should point to Exodus 20:27- "Thou shalt not necro eight-year-old threads, especially if thine thread hath already been necroed." :mischief:

Spoiler :
"These words and commandments of Civ must ye keep in thine heart, for all them that playest Civ must follow these precepts, and abideth by the same. Thus sayeth the RNG."

I know... I know... But my desire to make a joke out of it outweighed my good judgement. I had no urge to continue the conversation where it left off. It's obviously a dead end.

Well, just looking at the thread, it's preferable if it remained dead. Holy **** what ignorant, hateful, bs has been spewed about Islam. and :rotfl: at "Catholicism ain't mainstream". Seriously, Jesus Christ.

Getting that shwedagon paya earlier really is a good way to get the free religion and any of the other major religious civics such as pacifism. Once you get pacifism up you can be good to go bbecause you can get any religious civics with shwedagon paya without needing to research liberalism or the other religious civic providing technologies. Getting the major religions and their shrines built can make you so much gpt and makes so much sense.

Well, just looking at the thread, it's preferable if it remained dead. Holy **** what ignorant, hateful, bs has been spewed about Islam. and :rotfl: at "Catholicism ain't mainstream". Seriously, Jesus Christ.

Yeah, it was pretty hateful, and the guy's assertion that Islam is worse than Christianity b/c it is happening right now is a joke. In fact, my quote line of 3:19 is the end section of how god commanded the Israelites to kill all the Canaanites and found Israel. Israelis live on the same land now, that they think is holy, because of these passages of the bible which state that this is their homeland because god told them to kill everyone who already lived there. So that is happening now-ish. Also, given assumption that America is Christian, what is America doing in the middle east right now?

Also, as to his line about backstabbing and deceit, there is a section in the bible that talks about how the Israelites made a pact with a group of pepole to join their two tribes. The requirement was that all of the males must be circumcised, which the males of the other tribe agree to (seems pretty far-fetched, but whatever). Because 2 Israelites are mad at 1 member of that tribe (admittedly for a heinous crime, but still, it's only one member) they then come back 3 days after the mass-circumcision and kill thm all while they are weak.they then take all of their wives and daughters and livestock, and god is ok with that. Note that they don't take any sons; they killed them all. More deceitful than just about anything. Genesis 34, Genesis 33 for the "context" of why they commit genocide.

Getting that shwedagon paya earlier really is a good way to get the free religion and any of the other major religious civics such as pacifism. Once you get pacifism up you can be good to go bbecause you can get any religious civics with shwedagon paya without needing to research liberalism or the other religious civic providing technologies. Getting the major religions and their shrines built can make you so much gpt and makes so much sense.
Really, with the best intentions reddishcue: Plz stop giving advice. Your knowledge about CIV is so wrong, that it hurts. Every time you post, you either post something that's completely not adviseable or you miss the topic completely, causing always the need for someone to correct what you wrote.

In this case: Shwedagon Paya is below the worst Wonders available, it gets buit for Failgold, but seriously, no good CIV player finishes it to run Free Religion. Free Religion is mostly used for Happiness reasons when mass drafting, however, Theocracy, OR or Pacifism are all better because with a religion, one can win friends, without this is very very difficult. Also, no maintenance and +100% :gp: is far better than 10% extra research, and Theocracy enables the possibility for 2xp drafts. OR saves pop when whipping large buildings and it helps when wanting to quickly spread the AP-religion.

I hope this brought light and corrected all of your post. Again: Plz, really plg, get a better CIV player before you give advice. Me and others don't want to always need to write much, because you give advice that is...

I hope you understood this.

It always amuses me a little how the Bible is talked of as the "Good Book" and such descriptions. Meanwhile it is filled with (especially the Old Testament) series of murder, terror and outright genocide. Unfortunately many still seem to take those parts of the Bible to heart today :(

In this case: Shwedagon Paya is below the worst Wonders available, it gets buit for Failgold, but seriously, no good CIV player finishes it to run Free Religion. Free Religion is mostly used for Happiness reasons when mass drafting, however, Theocracy, OR or Pacifism are all better because with a religion, one can win friends, without this is very very difficult. Also, no maintenance and +100% :gp: is far better than 10% extra research, and Theocracy enables the possibility for 2xp drafts. OR saves pop when whipping large buildings and it helps when wanting to quickly spread the AP-religion.
In general I agree with this, but there is one exception: If the diplomatic situation is such that you don't want to run a religion, FR is better than Paganism. Even then, I'd build the SP to within one turn in one city before completing it in another to get some failgold (and accept the risk of getting double failgold and not being able to run FR).

I've stopped caring about the religous situation in my games. I always take the religion I have the most cities of, and once the AP is built, I spread that religion too, except if the game is too short for this investment

In many games, I bribe the AIs against each other very ealry. AIs that are in war give safety. Sometimes, I will also convert one or two of my neighbours, with Sending them an early missionary. Many AIs then spread that religion in their empire, if one pursuades them to run the religion oneself runs.

Most times, I simply conquer the heathens.

Great when isolated and have no religion until you meet someone. If you build it early enough, +10% beakers over c. 100 turns is definitely worth the 225 hammers.

Great when isolated and have no religion until you meet someone. If you build it early enough, +10% beakers over c. 100 turns is definitely worth the 225 hammers.
Isn't Aesthetics completely of the path to Astronomy? Why would one research it at all when isolated?

Paya to run civics is a very odd game, it can happen but it would be very exceptional. Paya w/ resource for failgold is good. Part of the reason Paya for civics sucks is the tech tree though, philosophy, liberalism are typical bulb/beeline techs you get very early, the others are easily traded.

But to answer this very, very old question, the answer is yes, it's possible and there is more than 1 way to do it.

First up: You will want to be on a low-ish difficulty to pull it off reliably. Stay OCC and found 6 religions there, while not creating any connection to any other city in the world. Settle/conquer a 2nd city and found the 7th religion. Watch the fireworks. Once every city in the world is 1 faith, you must come up with a way to get the 6x holy site BURNED.

Second: Found a faith yourself, heck in many cases you could just capture/inherit one. Burn every single city that doesn't have your faith and only your faith. Stay in theocracy so it's completely impossible for anybody to spread religion to you. Don't stop until all cities are your faith. As long as you don't trip the domination limit, this will happen eventually.

TMIT!! Long time no read. How's life been treating you?

In general I agree with this, but there is one exception: If the diplomatic situation is such that you don't want to run a religion, FR is better than Paganism. Even then, I'd build the SP to within one turn in one city before completing it in another to get some failgold (and accept the risk of getting double failgold and not being able to run FR).

I also agree that reddishrecue's strategies aren't that Shwedagon Paya and the strategy that he was giving wasn't that good.

Top Bottom