The Internet

Pangaea

Rock N Roller
When you build the Internet, is it completely random which civs you get techs from?

Seems that way to me, which is disappointing. Mansa had a couple of techs I wanted, but instead I got two smaller techs that two other civs had. Would make more sense if the Internet gathered techs from the two most advanced civilizations.

Okay, that makes sense then from what I saw. Would be nice to get monopoly techs though.

That would make it totally OP as you would get every tech someone else has. I realize now that the description can be interpreted as "pick 2 civilizations, you get all techs they have". I suppose that's how you read it? But in reality it looks at every tech, if it is known by at least 2 civs, you get it. It stays in effect later, so if someone has a monopoly tech and a 2nd civ researches, or trades for it, you get it as well.

It's not very good for space races, in those games you should be way ahead in tech by the time you can build it. Mostly it's useful if you've fallen way behind in a renaissance/industrial war and need to catch up to finish the last opponents. In an OCC space race it can be nice as well.

Yes, that's exactly how I read it. Since I didn't get Mansa's Mass Media, I assumed it was random which civs I got techs from. But I see now how it works, and it does make some sense. Very nice if it works for later developments too, so you can still keep getting techs from it after it is built. But like you say, in space races it's not all that useful as you should be ahead in tech anyway. I just built it to get some techs for free tbh, that I didn't want to do myself, and the AIs didn't want to trade due to "We fear you are getting to advanced" baloney.

It's not very good for space races, in those games you should be way ahead in tech by the time you can build it. Mostly it's useful if you've fallen way behind in a renaissance/industrial war and need to catch up to finish the last opponents. In an OCC space race it can be nice as well.
I thought that the CW was that it was very good for space race games--beeline computers, build the Internet, get almost all the skipped techs. Now you're way ahead in tech.

The Internet is indeed very good for space race, but not the ones where you have a massive tech lead already and building the ship is only a formality.

I always try to build The Internet project when I am ahead in the technology race.
Too deny it to the AI's.
Same with the Three Gorges Dam, Eiffel tower and the other, One in every city (on the same Continent) World Wonders.

Currently Playing a OneCityChallenge with Industrious Bismarck of the Germans and managed to just barely nab :p all the multiplier wonders which has kept me ahead of Catherine (Damn Cossacks!) and Victoria (double damned! Redcoats) and their lackies Hapshetsut and Al Salahadin.
And monopolizing The Internet will Keep me ahead which is a good thing as Vickie has just launched her own Artemis moon mission, and has Uranium.:nuke:

oh, please... Remember for the whole life: Hoover is USELESS. Extremely expensive versus benefits it gives.
:
1) You need only few cities with plants, those for spaceship parts
2) It adds hammers only on continent so if it has any use, it would be on specific mapscripts (esp. hammer strong: oasis, greatplains)
3) it adds hammers only to cities with factories. Because of global warming mechanism, you dont want factories everywhere
4) t costs 1750 hammers = 12 coal plants, 9 hydroplants. Add 1 more for a city, where you build that wonder, otherwise construction will be too long). 9-12 plats are enough to build the whole spaceship.
5) When you get Plastics, you should already have some nuclear/coal plants. Also when you have Plastics, the constructtion of Spaceship should be in progress, so trying for any very expensive wonder is at least strange.

------

Hoover is worth only if you have 2 great engineers with completely none use of it (still better use them for any Hit wonders or UN). How many times you have 2 engineers with completely no use?

--------

Internet in fact can be useful - if you have 2 civs very advanced on spaceship. They usually take the same path. If you beeline Fussion, You should get Genetics and Medicine from Internet, what can be a tie-breaker.

3) it adds hammers only to cities with factories. Because of global warming mechanism, you dont want factories everywhere

This isn't touching on the Internet, but I disagree about this. If the game is already going so deep that you're going to Space, I'd build factories in every city. Only exception may be tiny cities that don't have the means to do much before the end of the game. May as well just run Wealth there. Factories and Power is a huge deal, and will greatly increase hammer output, which can also be put to good use by building Wealth or Research, which you typically do pretty much across the Empire at the end of the game, because you're no longer warring, and just want to go to space ASAP. Then you need to build Wealth to keep researching. Once you break even while researching at 100%, you can build Research. +100% :hammers: from Factories + Coal Plants make this much more efficient.

Okay, you'll probably lose some tiles to global warming at some point, but it won't be many, and all those extra hammers is worth a lot more than a handful of lost tiles.

I also disagree with that advice. I regularly build the Hover Dam, because it reduces the :yuck: from all of those Coal-plants.

And never build Nuclear Plants, their chance to blow up and destroy everything like a nuke had hit, is a lot greater than realic. I played a time-game where I build Nuclear Plants, more than 5 blew up over the last 200 turns. Maybe it also only were 10T, I somehow remember them to blowing up often, like every 10-20T with having 200 cities.

I also disagree with that advice. I regularly build the Hover Dam, because it reduces the :yuck: from all of those Coal-plants.

It does? I thought they were useless when you first had coal plants, because then you already have power. But if it reduces the :yuck: (presumably just in riverside cities?), then it could still be useful to build Three Gorges.

The 3 gorges dam gives hydro power to every city on the continent whether or not its next to a river,so I would of thought it would reduce the :yuck: in all citys too,from the coal plants anyway.I wonder if hydro plants supercede nuclear plants?I would of thought so.

I always consider the internet for a space race.It can gives you the military techs which you ignore when going for a fast space race,ones which are essential for late game empire defence-flight or artillary,advanced flight,stealth and robotics.Obviously your best defence is diplomacy and nukes,but with copper the internet is a cheap build,and well worth it imo as an easy way to keep up militarilly with the AI without having to put beakers into pointless research.

3GD replaces Coal Plants in cities that have them, so you just get +2 :yuck: for Power instead of +4.

A minor drawback to 3GD is that it gives +2 :yuck: in ALL cities on the continent, even those with no Factory and which therefore get no benefit from Power. However, I find that in practice, those cities are seldom unhealthy enough for that to matter.

And never build Nuclear Plants, their chance to blow up and destroy everything like a nuke had hit, is a lot greater than realic. I played a time-game where I build Nuclear Plants, more than 5 blew up over the last 200 turns. Maybe it also only were 10T, I somehow remember them to blowing up often, like every 10-20T with having 200 cities.

The best unhealthiness reduction is trading away all sources of oil, I dont consider building extremely expensive wonder worth that +2 food per hammercity

----

Back to Internet, as mentioned above, Free robotics is another one (except genetics) benefit of Internet

The best unhealthiness reduction is trading away all sources of oil, I dont consider building extremely expensive wonder worth that +2 food per hammercity

----

Back to Internet, as mentioned above, Free robotics is another one (except genetics) benefit of Internet

Not connecting Oil is standard play in Spaceraces, however, there also are those Quick speed Conquest games on larger maps, that go 'til Tanks.

+2 :health: for all cities on the continent is nice though. In the top-HoF Spaceraces that I've seen, all players choose the T3GD because it's quite a lot of food that comes with it.

Do you plan to post on your chanel a space game with Dam use (as far as I remember you still have a plan of Wang game)?
Maybe this will change my opinion on this wonder and then I stop giving stupid advice

Do you plan to post on your chanel a space game with Dam use (as far as I remember you still have a plan of Wang game)?
Maybe this will change my opinion on this wonder and then I stop giving stupid advice

I don't plan on recording again, some frustrated players gave such bad comments, that I quit on the project.

Also, I don't think, users want to see me playing a 200h+ Space Race.

200 hours of video would be too much obviously, and I highly doubt anyone could give interesting comments for that long (I remember Absolute Zero said this about some games he played but didn't publish because they would drag out too long). However, it would be interesting with an edited version of such a game, where the most important stuff is included. Naturally such a project would require an awful lot of time and editing, though, so perhaps a bit pointless when people give hostile comments like last time.

I do hope to see a Writeup by you or WastinTime or whoever wins the Gauntlet, though, as I'm sure it will be great for learning :)

Top Bottom