Dune Wars

I love this mod and I thought I'd put in my two sense (or would that be 1 microgram of spice?)

My general feeling is the combat stats are off. It seems that many of the special abilities make units practically unkillable in certain terrain. This is made worse by the fact many units by-pass normal city defenses. So if you haven't built up much of an army, you have almost no chance of waging a war of attrition against the attacks because the attackers get through the city defenses with ease but sallying out of the city gets your units killed.

Since the AI in this mod is rather evil, it will often invade will lots of troops. What makes this "bad" is they will often park in a hill right next to a city and the terrain bonus pretty much makes them invulnerable. Even older units still have a 80 vs. 20 ratio against much nastier troops.

My general feeling is the combat is very one-sided. Either one unit totally dominates another or you end up needing 3-4 units to kill one.

Other than the Alpha Centauri Mod (or all the Fall From Heaven mods) this is the shining jewel of Civ 4. Yet the combat aspect does, in my opinion, detract from the mod.

One suggestion. I would think having an early unit with a 1-hex range (similar to the Civ 5 gatling/machine gun) would still be appropriate for Dune. Logically (I know, I know) but if much of your battle force is going to be ground troops and you can't use las-guns due to shield issues, then a simple slug-thrower to mow down approaching infantry just makes sense. Fedaykin or not, WW I showed running out in the open in the face of machine guns is stupid.

Having a unit like this could make having a certain upgrade better. Dune camouflage to make it harder to see and the Wyrding Way could also make it difficult for ranged weapons to hit.

Not to mention it would be interesting to have a very small % chance of any time a shield warrior is used in combat against a las-gun unit, that there would be a chance of a nuclear explosion to simulate someone got careless. That would make an interesting (and deadly!) 'random' event.

@Chris Adams or Deliverator,

Have you looked into K-Mod's AI work and possibly thought of merging it into DW?

I hope DW continues to progress. It is a fun mod.

JosEPh :)

I love this mod and I thought I'd put in my two sense (or would that be 1 microgram of spice?)

My general feeling is the combat stats are off. It seems that many of the special abilities make units practically unkillable in certain terrain. This is made worse by the fact many units by-pass normal city defenses. So if you haven't built up much of an army, you have almost no chance of waging a war of attrition against the attacks because the attackers get through the city defenses with ease but sallying out of the city gets your units killed.

Since the AI in this mod is rather evil, it will often invade will lots of troops. What makes this "bad" is they will often park in a hill right next to a city and the terrain bonus pretty much makes them invulnerable. Even older units still have a 80 vs. 20 ratio against much nastier troops.

My general feeling is the combat is very one-sided. Either one unit totally dominates another or you end up needing 3-4 units to kill one.

Other than the Alpha Centauri Mod (or all the Fall From Heaven mods) this is the shining jewel of Civ 4. Yet the combat aspect does, in my opinion, detract from the mod.

One suggestion. I would think having an early unit with a 1-hex range (similar to the Civ 5 gatling/machine gun) would still be appropriate for Dune. Logically (I know, I know) but if much of your battle force is going to be ground troops and you can't use las-guns due to shield issues, then a simple slug-thrower to mow down approaching infantry just makes sense. Fedaykin or not, WW I showed running out in the open in the face of machine guns is stupid.

Having a unit like this could make having a certain upgrade better. Dune camouflage to make it harder to see and the Wyrding Way could also make it difficult for ranged weapons to hit.

Not to mention it would be interesting to have a very small % chance of any time a shield warrior is used in combat against a las-gun unit, that there would be a chance of a nuclear explosion to simulate someone got careless. That would make an interesting (and deadly!) 'random' event.

I do not agree - the answer to the enemy stack is the same as always: bombardment. It is essential in the early game to secure nitrate so you can make maula mortars and the upgraded artillery later. Just like in regular civ, you need a stack of artillery: if you get attacked it will weaken the Stack of Doom, if you do not get attacked then you will need the artillery to stand any chance of taking a city. 10-15 artillery should be enough most of the time - always upgrade with the first strike promotions. Later in the game air and stoneburners (cruise missiles) help though artillery remains necessary and superior. Once you get a great general you can upgrade twice when new etc.

When you get the better transports, you should always have a stack of artillery with defensive units to cover them ready to move.

It is also a good idea to have defensive troops with mesa upgrade parked on your hills.

Also outposts are very useful - I had three lascannon and two mongoose in one on caves (most defensive square with correct upgrades) - took down about 40 attacking melee units - lost one or two units, then reinforced. The cultural effect is marked if you make two or three in the same area.

I rather miss the random events - only sandstorms eating improvements. I would also say the WW Global Weather is rather useless - since sandstorms are not such a big deal. Always better to go for WW Global Comms (same tech enables).

In my last game enemy espionage gave me an "Arranged Marriage" in one of my cities - did not seem to do anything, Pedia is blank.

I still think the terraforming win is too easy and the other wins seem impossible without planetary territorial domination - just made a 22K Augustus Caesar on Immortal - just over 300 moves. That was with all other Civs still on Arrakis Spice and declaring on me all the time :)

Anyway, still think an absolutely awesome mod, presently forcing myself not to play it!
And as for that picture of Virginia Madsen as Princess Irulan ...

Top Bottom