Yet Another Unaltered Gameplay Mod

kflorian said:
My copy of warlords arrived today. Copied mods\YAUGM folder to the Warlords mods\ folder. It does not run.

Both Warlords and 1.61 happily coexist on the same computer...just must wait for Gaurav to work genius for compatiblity....I think...

I think I tried to tell you all that. :mischief:

By the way, I'm no genius. You can find the real geniuses among the contributors of the component mods.

Gaurav said:
YAUGM is not compatible with Warlords. (At the moment, I don't know if any mods are.) When I get my copy, I will post instructions on how to use it in 1.61 after Warlords is installed, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
A lot of MODs are not, some of the simple ones are. I tried to do some modifications myself to be able to play at all (attitude icons were easy :)). I can't imagine playing without Exotic Foreign Advisor, custom clock, attitude icons, announcements etc... (spares a lot of my time!)

smartus said:
A lot of MODs are not, some of the simple ones are. I tried to do some modifications myself to be able to play at all (attitude icons were easy :)). I can't imagine playing without Exotic Foreign Advisor, custom clock, attitude icons, announcements etc... (spares a lot of my time!)

I know what you mean. I thought when 1.61 came out people would spring into action and fix up Alerum's mod. When two months went by and it did not happen, I finally got off my butt and did something about it. Despite the fact that I work full time. Most of the components had at least been updated, and there was a mod I could springboard from. However, some mods I had to fix up myself.

Hopefully it won't take that long this time around, but you never know. I still haven't got my copy of Warlords yet, but I still have a bugfixing TODO list for 1.61 anyway while I wait for at least some of the components to be updated.

Gaurav said:
I think I tried to tell you all that. :mischief:

Oops...:crazyeye: I interpreted your post as "I'm not sure what I will find when I get the update." ...and thought I was adding an insight...my bad.

If there is something I can do to help out a bit, let me know. For the most part I can follow the code...but that does not include a claim to understand the object model etc.

Ken

kflorian said:
Oops...:crazyeye: I interpreted your post as "I'm not sure what I will find when I get the update." ...and thought I was adding an insight...my bad.

If there is something I can do to help out a bit, let me know. For the most part I can follow the code...but that does not include a claim to understand the object model etc.

Ken

See which mod components are abandoned and update them! :D

First, Thanks Gaurav for putting this together! This is exactly what I have been looking for.

I was playing MP last night with two other players and it ran really smoothly. there were only two minor issues. One I ran into was with the messeages that pop up on the left. Every once in a while it would say something like "has 50 gold for trade" :confused: with no name attached. I hadn't discovered everyone yet so maybe it was one of them?

Also, One of the other human players could see a city I had taken from the barbarians and the name of the city appeared as a long series of Xs on thier screen. Both other players could see the correct name. This would seem to indicate a proble with his computer specifically?

Anyways, thanks again for putting all of these together!:goodjob:

Well, I can do the smiley icons (well, everyone can :)), I will do the clock (I never know when to stop, clock helps ;)). Gaurav, do you check original MODders threads? Maybe they are working on updates.

Next I will move to Exotic F. Advisor. Hopefully someone do it prior...

smartus said:
Well, I can do the smiley icons (well, everyone can :)), I will do the clock (I never know when to stop, clock helps ;)). Gaurav, do you check original MODders threads? Maybe they are working on updates.

Next I will move to Exotic F. Advisor. Hopefully someone do it prior...

Some are, some aren't. TheLopez is busy as usual. ;) Where does he get the time?

Check in the thread using the links in post 1. If nothing is said, you can post to ask if anyone is working on it. If not, take the liberty of updating it yourself.

Some people are updating the mods but not posting their work. :( I think this always leads to a massive duplication of effort.

As for myself, I'm still working on 1.61 bugs in this at the moment. I know, it's late, but my to do list won't go away. But I figure there isn't much point trying to update something like this when most of the mods will take some time to get updated anyway.

I'm also playing Warlords a bit without any mods. It has been a while since I've played, as opposed to tested, which generally involves cheating like crazy. :lol:

PatrickDockens said:
First, Thanks Gaurav for putting this together! This is exactly what I have been looking for.

I was playing MP last night with two other players and it ran really smoothly. there were only two minor issues. One I ran into was with the messeages that pop up on the left. Every once in a while it would say something like "has 50 gold for trade" :confused: with no name attached. I hadn't discovered everyone yet so maybe it was one of them?

Also, One of the other human players could see a city I had taken from the barbarians and the name of the city appeared as a long series of Xs on thier screen. Both other players could see the correct name. This would seem to indicate a proble with his computer specifically?

Anyways, thanks again for putting all of these together!:goodjob:

Thanks so much for your feedback. What I've learned recently is why most modders don't bother to try to get multiplayer to work -- it's hard! There are too many damn ways to play multiplayer.

Anyway, it's great that you had such a good experience, especially since I've been fixing bugs causing OOS's and the interface screen not to show up and Great Person popups without the correct Great Person, etc.

I did not run into the errors you mentioned during my multiplayer testing this weekend. However, I'm running multiple instances on one machine using the "multiple" switch (with low graphics!), since I've only got my one computer. I have no way of knowing whether it works the same -- and I know any errors due to latency or connection issues would not be seen.

It also means I can't load a huge map :) Actually I stick to duel, tiny and small. Also, cheating in multiplayer is hard (basically have to write a mod to do it and somehow keep it separate from this -- while it is merged!).

If you can give me an easy way to reproduce these issues it would help out a lot.

By the way -- getting python reloading to work is also hard! No wonder Firaxis did not even bother to try, even for Warlords.

smartus said:
Well, I can do the smiley icons (well, everyone can :)),

Believe it or not, not everyone can. And most won't try. :)

Remember, I started work on this mod over two months after 1.61 came out. I originally figured someone else would just update Alerum's mod. It never happened.

So just keep working at it. The beauty of making your own mod is that it that what you want gets put in first!

And don't forget to publish what you've got every so often. People post "alphas" and "betas" all the time here.

NJAGCM was actually one of the tougher ones to get working. I only fixed it right with 1.2.0 and got it disable-able with 1.2.1. The last published one (0.3.2) is too buggy. Try using what I have in mine. Note that you can't ignore the part that loads from the ini file until you have the rest working because it loads the era names and colors from there. You'll note I'm still using the original parser though, just redirected the ini file.

I don't see it included in any mod not made by TheLopez except mine. Most of the mods here use simpler clock mods like Homegrown's or Snaitf's or HOF's. Like many of TheLopez's mods, it was "too good" -- meaning too complicated for others to easily merge in theirs. Good Luck.

Gaurav said:
Believe it or not, not everyone can. And most won't try. :)

Remember, I started work on this mod over two months after 1.61 came out. I originally figured someone else would just update Alerum's mod. It never happened.

So just keep working at it. The beauty of making your own mod is that it that what you want gets put in first!

And don't forget to publish what you've got every so often. People post "alphas" and "betas" all the time here.

NJAGCM was actually one of the tougher ones to get working. The last published one is too buggy. Try using what I have in mine. Note that you can't ignore the part that loads from the ini file until you have the rest working because it loads the era names and colors from there. You 'll note I'm still using the original parser though, just redirected the ini file.

I don't see it included in any mod not made by TheLopez except mine. Most of the mods here use simpler clock mods like Homegrown's or Snaitf's or HOF's. Like many of TheLopez's mods, it was "too good" -- meaning too complicated for others to easily merge in theirs. Good Luck.

Well, I get used to this setting for the clock - no alternative clock, just turns/maxturns, day time and game year. So I wouldn't bother with parsing anything :)

smartus said:
Well, I get used to this setting for the clock - no alternative clock, just turns/maxturns, day time and game year. So I wouldn't bother with parsing anything :)

Yeah, that'll work. Just rip out what you don't need then. ;) Make sure you rip out the percentage stuff particularly if you aren't using the fix for the crash if the maxturns = 0.

None of the other clock mods are able do exactly that? Interesting.

Personally I do like to see what era it is.

Gaurav said:
Anyway, it's great that you had such a good experience, especially since I've been fixing bugs causing OOS's and the interface screen not to show up and Great Person popups without the correct Great Person, etc.

I have had a couple of mods start without the interface and I read on some other posts that if I erase the Custom Assets folder (there is a shortcut for it in the CIV program folder on teh c: drive) it fixes the issue :goodjob:. So I don't know what causes it but I have found at least one solution for that problem.

P

PatrickDockens said:
I have had a couple of mods start without the interface and I read on some other posts that if I erase the Custom Assets folder (there is a shortcut for it in the CIV program folder on teh c: drive) it fixes the issue :goodjob:. So I don't know what causes it but I have found at least one solution for that problem.

P

Yes, that's the one. Of course, one of the deals with my mod is that I tried to make it work if placed in its entirety in either folder, Mods\Assets or CustomAssets. I've found many people prefer to use CustomAssets with unaltered gameplay mods so that the savegame doesn't get 'stamped' and only work with the mod. Same reason I've stayed away from SDK mods, to preserve that savegame compatibility. I guess that CustomAssets may not be compatible with multiplayer by design. :(

Any ideas on how to reproduce your issue on my computer?

Perhaps I should make Currency a free tech for my next test, or enable gold trading with Pottery. :lol: Did it happen only with gold trading Civ4lerts, or tech trading also?

Gaurav said:
Did it happen only with gold trading Civ4lerts, or tech trading also?

I only noticed it with gold trading Civ4alerts. I will play again and try to get a screen shot and save game to post for you.

Here is my save game and an screen shot of when it happened.

Attachments

• Error image.jpg
    Error image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 190
PatrickDockens said:
Here is my save game and an screen shot of when it happened.

Aaah, you're playing a team game, "Hatshepsut/Louis XIV/Alexander".

I told you there were too many damn ways to play multiplayer. :lol:

If I remember, the team name, not the player name, is displayed with teams, but I'll check when I get home from work. I'm thinking the team name might be blank for AIs if they are neutral or something. I doubt Dr. Elmer Jiggle (or Gillmer J. Derge) ever tried out his mod with teams, since he said his mod is "untested with multiplayer." :)

Ah that makes sense. I don't remember if we (my fellow MPs) gave our own team a name. Is it just the name of the person who started the game?

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply:goodjob:. Here's a couple of files for the other error I mentioned (all the XXXs displayed). Both times I have seen this it occurred right after someone (computer or human player) took a barbarian town. The time it involved a human player, the XXXs showed up on a different computer from the player who took the town over.

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 169
PatrickDockens said:
Ah that makes sense. I don't remember if we (my fellow MPs) gave our own team a name. Is it just the name of the person who started the game?

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply:goodjob:. Here's a couple of files for the other error I mentioned (all the XXXs displayed). Both times I have seen this it occurred right after someone (computer or human player) took a barbarian town. The time it involved a human player, the XXXs showed up on a different computer from the player who took the town over.

Yikes that looks horrible. :eek: Have you checked that it doesn't happen in 1.61 vanilla?

Top Bottom