Master of Mana

Psyringe you provide some excellent feedback. I'd recommend you head over to the forums at www.masterofmana.com ( although the site seems to be down atm ) where the discussion is taking place. since the mod is under active development and big changes are happening with each patch, of course there's going to be balance issues :D

mainly you mention that large empires get too good benefits right now and it's true. the upcoming patch will counterbalance this by greatly discouraging city spam. max distance between cities is 3 instead of 2, city maintenance costs will go up and many more buildings will be available, meaning that spamming cities will no longer be better than building up good cities. so vertical growth will be a much better option, both for economy, global yields and mana/faith.

let's see if I can help with some of your points:

5) seems like an enemy adept casted "dark curse" ( IIRC ) on you, which does damage and has a chance to enrage units ( enraged units are under AI control and very aggressive so they will wander off looking for targets ) . also note that units ending their turn on a tile with a "haunted lands" feature can fall victims to similar effects.

7) animal capture spell will cost half what id does now in the next patch IIRC

8) fixed next patch :D

12) arcane units, summons and a couple priests ( IIRC ) have, or can get, auras. these give positive buffs to units in the same tile, or negative debuffs to enemy units in the surrounding tiles. there's promotions to improve the strength, range and max targets, and by mouseovering a unit you can see ( at the bottom ) if it's currently affected by an aura and what the aura provides. keep in mind that each unit can only be affected by 2 auras max at a time. ( I guess this actually means 2 positive ones + 2 negative ones if enemies with negative auras are nearby )

14) "charmed" means the unit can't attack. the promotion has a chance per turn to expire, and non-living units re unaffected ( undead, siege etc. )
"domination" captures the targeted unit, always nice to steal units from the enemy :D

22) culture level of the city affects the number of free improvements alongside with population and "open terrain" ( open terrain means that the more improvable tiles the city controls, the more free improvements you can support. water plots count as unimprovable, while peaks count as improvable ) . you'll also notice that many civics give benefits based on the culture level of the city. this was done in order to make culture actually useful aside from "bigger borders" .

10) evocation is the only spell tree that benefits from a higher mana cap, you already metioned why. the other trees don't need this at all.

11) + 12) every mage has an intrinsic aura with a specific strength, range and affected targets. this aura does nothing, but as you research into abjuration it will have benefits, for example more first strikes, better defense, ...

13) mostly evocation spells deal damage as they should, but every spell has different side effect: lighting spells have a higher chance to crit, fire spells inflame their targets, other spells enrage, teleport, may affect multiple tiles, blind enemies, prevent them from attacking, conver them, ...

14) units in cities take less spell damage, secondly the teleportation aspect of greater rift does not work on city defenders, it would be way too strong if it did. the documentation is lacking, but as long as most of the systems are still work in progress it is a bit of a waste to write documentation.

regarding equipment:
it will be redone in 1.3, there is a thread outlining it on the MoM forums.
that equipment has a stronger influence then the promotion system is intended, although there won't be that strong of a discrepancy between the two in 1.3.

22) if you like the improvement system in cIV you probably don't like the changes made in MoM, but to me the vanilla system is as boring and nonstrategic as you can get. the support modifier is determined by: city population, city culture level, civics and the chosen civilization.
It opens up quite a lot strategic choice that you do not have with the vanilla system.
If a city has free support left you can see a little hammer icon on the main map over the city bar, so you don't have to open your city screen to check the support in detail. you can also see how much an improvement will cost in upkeep when you order a worker to build an improvement, i very rarely check the city screen for improvement support, after some games you just adopt your playstyle towards this mechanic.

10) evocation is the only spell tree that benefits from a higher mana cap, you already metioned why. the other trees don't need this at all.

IMO, all schools (except Abjuration) benefit from higher mana cap, but Evocation benefits more. Summoning, terraforming, enchanting, all can be done more quick if I have more mana cap. With 100 mana cap, I can cast 75 mana enchantment once per turn, while thrice with 250.

Giving each schools (beside Abj) mana-cap increasing techs would be great. One tech per other schools and several in Evocation for flavor and balance reasons.

13) mostly evocation spells deal damage as they should, but every spell has different side effect: lighting spells have a higher chance to crit, fire spells inflame their targets, other spells enrage, teleport, may affect multiple tiles, blind enemies, prevent them from attacking, conver them, ...

Difference in mana cost can further differentiate the spells. There is no reason that Fireball must cost the same as Lighning Spark, for example. I think fire spells should give more base damage, more target but cost more mana than other elemental with the same tier.

Magic Missile and its variants should play as poor man damage spells (since you got it for free). They should cost less mana but do less damage too. At present, I think Magic Missile has higher base damage than elemental spells.

Is MoM 1.2 (the one on the link in th OP) the latest version? or should I install patch 1.23 (or another) on top of it?
Mom.com does not work :-(

Aloha,

just updating because of the new beta (1.3, version 3.0) and a few new patches for 1.2 (1.23, 1.24, 1.25). We have tons of fun with the beta :goodjob: , please take part and report how you like it!!!

Follow the link to the announcment's section, from there on you find all the needed links for downloading. Have fun:)

http://www.masterofmana.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=7

Greez,

Tschuggi

@BlackArchon
To my belief the site has a bad host and is rarely working correctly. I have tried to surf the site a Kazillion times, only to actually reach the site a couple times... :cry:

@BlackArchon
To my belief the site has a bad host and is rarely working correctly. I have tried to surf the site a Kazillion times, only to actually reach the site a couple times... :cry:

c'm on, that's not true. The site works normally pretty well. The actual prob is due to the new upload from Sephi, afaik.

Greez,

Tschuggi

no Tschuggi, he is right. The service is pretty bad.

I wanted to support them since they offer a lot for free which helps people that do not have much money, but I am not really happy about the quality so I am most likely changing the host at some time.

you can always write feedback in this thread though

I will most likely upload a new beta version tomorrow that has new abilities of great people implemented
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=433251

Far as hosts go, I use hostgator, $15 a month, always up, tons of free add ons and plenty of bandwidth.

I am turn 600-ish from the latest beta (1.3??? can't find any kind of version #, but it's the last one you linked to in this thread). I'm playing the Kha*** (dwarfs). I liked the Dwarven Vault, was fun keeping thousands of gold lying around but annoying that every 3rd turn someone offered me a crappy tech for 5k of gold.

---Errors

For some reason my 'bonuses' went negative. Two of my cities had negative culture to the point that is RETRACTED my borders. My main gold producing town went negative 255 on me and wipes out my savings in roughly 14 turns. I kept playing it, wondering if it was some odd spell but it just seems like a bug. I tried to reload but still issues. The -gold was a market distract but the other 2 had none. No real events that I saw caused anything and any additional 'bonus' (infrastructural or % increases from buildings) just added to the negative.

Seeing garrisoned archers to AUTO RANGESTRIKE, clicking on them when an enemy is near lags/slows the game to a crawl till you click elsewhere.

---Ideas :

SPIES! Either a unit, spells, or maybe an option to use all that built up culture points for (I had like 25k culture for infrastructure and only had to use it a handful of times). Just having my culture reversed for a few turns took me from 3 radius to a 1...imagine how useful that could be in culture take overs or sabotaging the enemies primary research city that it delays a new tech for 10 turns?

High End Units for DISTRICTS - Nobel could great mimes/clowns/entertainers that have the 'create great art' trait? Or maybe kill unit/add +3 culture to city, can only use once. / Market - Caravan, trade mission or +3 money to a city. / Sage - Elder, +3 spell or +6 tech research. - Sort of like minor great person skills.

Culture Without Towns - I love the new system, but culture def grows slower than normal...and I was still having to spam build to get resources... I was thinking an 'outpost' - a non-alive unit that can move, then set up/tear down over X amount of turns...that builds culture to a max of 2 spaces all directions. They would have to be GUARDED, they die, you will start losing influence fast. Also...possible a way to 'work' culture. The +30c for 'great art' is nothing (anyway to make it increase by a % based on TOTAL culture production???)...possible a 'missionary' or 'entertainer' that could work tiles...that every turn he's on a tile, he converts over X amount...and that amount increases the longer he is there. A good way to help influence that one good resource your neighbor stole without having to put all your production into cultural buildings.

AUTO BUY - When a item is missing, next time you are within border, auto purchase new items. Maybe a 'auto equip' for new troops...

Spells - ... I could come up with 40 unique/useful ideas off top of my head...let's just start with the above, haha!

[[[ Messed up save - www.nrfbtoystore.com/neg.CivBeyondSwordSave

hi
As masterofmana.com site is down, there is no place I can download MoM 1.2 and the lastest patch (1.25 ?). Can someone please upload it to any file sharing site ?

many thanks in advance

patch link for 1.1 patch not working.

I forgot to remove the link. If you use the download link, you will get version 1.2. There are also some smaller patches on the forum

HI, i have a general question about launching a modmod, specifically for one called "Elohim keepers of the holy places" which i cannot now find.
my question is, once having placed the modmod folder into the mod, how do you launch it? do you just launch the mod (wm) and the new modmod alters its gameplay? or do you have to go thru custom game or other? tx.

HI, i have a general question about launching a modmod, specifically for one called "Elohim keepers of the holy places" which i cannot now find.
my question is, once having placed the modmod folder into the mod, how do you launch it? do you just launch the mod (wm) and the new modmod alters its gameplay? or do you have to go thru custom game or other? tx.

the keepers of the holy places is a modmod for Wildmana, so if you want to play it with MoM, it won't work at all. Atm, there is the 1.3 beta phase for MoM, so if you want to try that, go to www.masterofmana.com, and download the beta.

Greez,

Tschuggi

I do not want to play it with mom, i want to play it with wildmana, however the wildmana forum is defered to here so i am posting my question here, "how do i launch a modmod?" by just launching the mod (wildmana), or does it require other steps ie. going thru custum games?
ANSWERED; thank you.

Top Bottom