Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Standard

Votes: 45 49.5%
  • Epic

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Marathon

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters
Standard. I've played Quick a few times and I would probably doing it again if I were planning specifically to go for a scientific or cultural victory. I play on Epic a reasonable amount of the time, especially if I pick a warmonger civ.

I would never, ever play Marathon though.

I will never break away from this rule:
Small map - Quick
Standard - Standard
Large - Epic
Huge - Marathon
My computer cannot handle huge so I never play marathon.

Marathon! Anything faster just doesn't capture the right 'feel' of building a civilization in my opinion.

Marathon, especially when paired with maps I know my computer can barely take, but I use anyway. :crazyeye:

Mostly epic. I need to be able to immerse myself into the world to be able to truly enjoy Civ, and that just doesn't happen on quick. Standard isn't bad for peaceful games, but otherwise I like to actually use the different units and not feel like everything is obsolete 20 turns after it's built. Not to mention ancient-classical era civs are actually something to be feared on slower speeds.

Marathon though.. don't get me started. I tried it once and quit out of sheer boredom after 100 turns netted about 3 techs and 4 builds. Much too slow to hold my interest.

I've never ever played other than standard; what's the differences at other speeds?

Quick speed (with a mod that vastly increases tech beaker costs): because I don't want to press "next turn" for 20 turns in a row for my worker to pop, and because I also want to preserve the "stay in this era for a long time" at the same time.

Varies. I tend to play at a certain game pace for a couple of months (say) then have a change. Mostly standard or epic but occasionally the other two.

Quick for pounding out an Achievement or Multiplayer
Standard for most normal games
Marathon for when I don't want to bathe over a weekend

Never epic, it's an awkward speed.

I just played a quick game on standard map for the first time. I don't see how I can ever go back...it is so much smoother. Why do standard let alone epic or marathon?

My machine can really only handle Epic speed (in strategic mode, too!). On Civ IV, however, I'll always play Huge/Marathon.

Standard, with Time- and Diplo- VCs disabled .
This gives me the time to make postage-stamp sized AI 1 city Trading Vassals !!; while I take the rest of the world . The first 2 AI's go extinct for growing room, on huge maps .

Marathon. I can see it being boring for a builder game, but I play CiV as a Fire Emblem game - building a warband, levelling them up and then surgically destroying every enemy in order of proximity.

Unless someone builds Stonehenge. I'm having that before fighting anyone else.

Always Epic.
It just feels like techs arrive at the right speed, I can't "rush" stuff like is possible on standard - average game is ten hours though, helps you lose weight. Whats not to like?

Does anyone disagree with the conventional wisdom that slower speeds makes the game easier? If so, please explain why.

Slower speeds are easier because the AI doesn't exploit XP farming but promotions are unscaled, giving the players' units a relatively faster growth in strength. Range Logistics before Composite Bowmen is quite do-able.

Top Bottom