What resources get connected under a city or GP

lefuet

Warlord
GP connect all strategic resources.
GP connect all luxury resources that need a mine? Does it connect before you researched mines?
What about other luxuries?

Is it the same for cities?

Are there bonus resources where you lose more then the yield of the improvement if you plant a GP tile improvement on it?
(e.g. stone: do you lose the bonus of the stoneworks?)

I believe if you plant any great person on top of a non-generic tile, it will be replaced

GP connect all strategic resources.
GP connect all luxury resources that need a mine? Does it connect before you researched mines?
What about other luxuries?

Is it the same for cities?

Are there bonus resources where you lose more then the yield of the improvement if you plant a GP tile improvement on it?
(e.g. stone: do you lose the bonus of the stoneworks?)

Correct for strategic resources, but incorrect for luxuries (GP tile improvements never connect luxuries). A city will connect a luxury on the city center tile once you research the enabling tech for that luxury (e.g., mining for mine-able luxuries, calendar for plantation-able luxuries, etc.). If you settle a city on marble, you instantly get the marble wonder production bonus, but you don't connect the marble (and get the related happiness) until you research masonry.

On strategic and bonus resources, because a GP tile improvement is not the same as, e.g., a quarry, mine, camp or pasture, you do not get tile bonuses based on the tile improvement, but you still get building bonuses that relate to the underlying strategic or bonus resource (e.g., stable gives +1 hammer to a horse tile even if the tile is not pastured). So, stoneworks will not give an additional hammer to a stone tile with a GP tile improvement, since the stoneworks bonus relates to the quarry, not the stone itself.

I believe if you plant any great person on top of a non-generic tile, it will be replaced

Not quite accurate. If you plant a GP on an improved tile, the improvement is replaced by the GP tile improvement (and any forest or jungle is automatically chopped), but the underlying tile type (grassland, plains, etc.) and resources (cows, iron, luxuries, etc.) is unchanged.

Correct for strategic resources, but incorrect for luxuries (GP tile improvements never connect luxuries). A city will connect a luxury on the city center tile once you research the enabling tech for that luxury (e.g., mining for mine-able luxuries, calendar for plantation-able luxuries, etc.). If you settle a city on marble, you instantly get the marble wonder production bonus, but you don't connect the marble (and get the related happiness) until you research masonry.

On strategic and bonus resources, because a GP tile improvement is not the same as, e.g., a quarry, mine, camp or pasture, you do not get tile bonuses based on the tile improvement, but you still get building bonuses that relate to the underlying strategic or bonus resource (e.g., stable gives +1 hammer to a horse tile even if the tile is not pastured). So, stoneworks will not give an additional hammer to a stone tile with a GP tile improvement, since the stoneworks bonus relates to the quarry, not the stone itself.
Thank you for this very helpful and nice explanation! :)

What about other building boni for buildings that depend on an improved resource. Like the happy face of stoneworks if your last quarry is replaced by an academy. Does the building vanish, or stops working like a factory out of coal, or something else?

edit: and can I build e.g. stoneworks if the city was founded on stone?

Not quite accurate. If you plant a GP on an improved tile, the improvement is replaced by the GP tile improvement (and any forest or jungle is automatically chopped), but the underlying tile type (grassland, plains, etc.) and resources (cows, iron, luxuries, etc.) is unchanged.

thanks for clarifying that :)

If the building modifies the output/yield of an improvement then you will lose that bonus because that improvement no longer exists, however, you will still get some bonus since the building will not be destroyed (as far as i know) and unless you sell it or the city gets conquered and the building is destroyed by conquest.

However, I don't think it is smart to replace a improvement for a resoruce with a great person improvement like ever. The only reason why it happens is that for all the resources, you don't see them until you research the needed tech (Animal Husbandry for Horses, Bronze Working for Iron etc.) and since Great people are "rare" this ensures that you do not have to sacrifice the improvement for the resource if it spawns under the great person tile.

you still get building bonuses that relate to the underlying strategic or bonus resource (e.g., stable gives +1 hammer to a horse tile even if the tile is not pastured)

How do you tell which buildings add to the tile and which add to the improvement? Can you even build a stable if you have not improved at least one tile with a pasture? This distinction seems very subtle, not that I doubt you have it correct!

Does the building vanish ... can I build e.g. stoneworks if the city was founded on stone?

The building will not vanish, but it may not be doing any good, and might even be costing you maintenance. Yes, you can build stoneworks if the city was not founded on plains (i.e., stone was on grassland or dessert).

Civilopedia generally states correctly the prerequisites to build a building (e.g., stable requires at least one tile with a pasture), but once you build the building you no longer need that prerequisite tile improvement and the building will continue to exist. However, a tile improvement may be required in order to keep getting that building's special yield. For example, a regular stable provides its additional yield on tiles with the right kind of resources (horses, cows, sheep), whether or not that tile is improved with a stable ("Each source of horses sheep and cow worked by this City produce +1 production."), while Poland's unique Stable replacement building (the Ducal Stable) only provides its additional tile yield on tiles with a pasture ("Each Pasture worked by this City produces +1 production and +1 gold.").

Top Bottom