Current Modding Limitations (post-DLL), Modding-Related Bugs and SDK Issues

Here's a question that may or may not belong here: Do you guys think they'll release the source code for BNW in a timely fashion, so we can convert our Gods and Kings mods to Brave New World?

Given that it took almost 6 weeks for the C++ code to 2.21 to be released after that patch, AND that we still don't have the C++ code for 2.44 (which has been out for 2 months) - unless it's been released in the last few days as I'm currently off-line from Steam - I'm not expecting the BNW C++ code in a timely fashion ... if ever. That way I'll only be pleasantly surprised when they prove me wrong :D

Here's a question that may or may not belong here: Do you guys think they'll release the source code for BNW in a timely fashion, so we can convert our Gods and Kings mods to Brave New World?

Define "a timely fashion" ? :D

Before BNW is released, almost no chance, and I suppose there will be a patch to fix the first bugs reported after the release (how long was it after G+K ?), so I don't expect it 1-2 weeks after that first patch post BNW.

It's also possible that vanilla & G+K DLL mods will be broken in pre-BNW patch until the source for all DLL version is released (remember patch .674, I suppose any vanilla DLL mod would have broken then if we had the source of earlier version)

Hm.

First appreciate the responses before, didn't reply because I thought it wouldn't bring anything else to the discussion.

How are you DLL modifying people going to handle losing access to the updated source for long stretches of time? Do you think abandoning the mod and waiting for Firaxis to release the source is going to cause you to lose subscribers?

Taking a long break during summer (no school...) is not what I had in mind. :cry:

How are you DLL modifying people going to handle losing access to the updated source for long stretches of time? Do you think abandoning the mod and waiting for Firaxis to release the source is going to cause you to lose subscribers?

Given that there is absolutely nothing I can do to influence when/if Firaxis release the source code, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it ;) (Unless I'm up all night actually *playing* BNW as I won't be able to mod it :lol:)

XML Entries which accept Features don't accept Fake Features. This is important, mostly because of Rivers.

The SDK is supposedly going to be updated with the Fall Patch.

Indeed. But what about people who want to use a DLL mod and have the latest hotfixes now? After all it costs Firaxis nothing to release an SDK hotfix with the latest source at the same time as the game hotfixes as they have already QA'ed the code for the main build. It's either laziness or a "don't care" attitude on their part - I've given up caring which.

Some (all?) things in the basic game setup menu can't be modded. Perhaps it falls under "Can't modify a number of different kinds of data that are added by core game or DLC xml", but think it would be helpful if it were listed explicitly. Here is an explanation by whoward69:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13017945&postcount=3

No, my mod and others do some pretty extensive modding to the setup and advanced setup screens.

Edit: the situation for setup modding is more complicated than I originally thought. See this thread, posts 15 and on.

Edit: The OP is very out of date. I'd probably get around to updating it if anyone was interested. (And shows interest by posting a question here...)

id just like to say i would definitely be interested in an update to the op. but since i cant even figure out something simple i wouldnt know how to use all the advanced features posted but still would be good to know what all limits are. i only have vanilla, i have Mongolia and Egypt and i bought Harold Bluetooth and wonders of the ancient world with the temple of Zeus an all that but yea.

I can think of at least two ways to play mods in multiplayer.

I'd be acutely interested in an update to the OP.

About two years ago, I designed and started building assets for a substantial conversion mod, then I realized that it would be impossible to do several things that my mod would require... IIRC, I stumbled hard when I tried to figure out how to alter gold/faith/happiness and strategic resources; basically, mess with the behavior and visuals of things that go in the top of the UI.

That said, I still have the design that I'd very much like to revisit, if the limitations have changed enough as people learn how to get into the DLL.

• No access to graphics dll. Related:
    • Can't update terrain graphics in-game (e.g., you can't terraform hills to flat, water to land, etc.).
Have anyone succseeded in this yet? =) (maybe with a dll mod)

Top Bottom