Bug Report (English)

I tried loading your 4.15 version mod from the desktop icon. I got several error messages about buildings. I think it was XML errors about the info being not correct. I clicked those error boxes away and as it continued to load, I got a message saying that Beyond the Sword has encountered a problem and needs to close. So I never got your mod to load.

Correction: I tried it again and the error messages are about units not buildings and it says the info class is not correct. They are XML errors. Still can't get the mod to load.

My experience with all of this is very limited so I apologize if this were resolved earlier. I have a bunch of error messages on my screen that will not go away. I'm attaching a pic so you can see what I mean. How do I get rid of them. Thanks and I'm enjoying the mod, very well done, my screen is getting a bit cluttered so I wanted to see how to resolve this.

Attachments

• random messages.jpg
    random messages.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 170
Thomas SG, I hope this crash is reproducable (this is 4.15 speed1). Whenever I hit enter and the next turn starts, it takes a long while (much longer than all the other turns before) and suddenly it crashes. I reproduced the crash three times on my machine to ensure that there is really a problem (at least on my pc).
As I posted in the general discussion thread I saw the BtS-exe calling Dr.Watson, I am not sure why or if that was just a coincidence. I just thought I mention it in case that might hint to something. Oh, and right before the crash I saw that the barb archer tried to move (but didn't) - I am not sure if that is of any importance.

Attachments

• CCV-CellKu BC-2240, crash.CivBeyondSwordSave
    123.7 KB · Views: 141
My experience with all of this is very limited so I apologize if this were resolved earlier. I have a bunch of error messages on my screen that will not go away. I'm attaching a pic so you can see what I mean. How do I get rid of them. Thanks and I'm enjoying the mod, very well done, my screen is getting a bit cluttered so I wanted to see how to resolve this.

I too had that problem. This only occurs when you are running it in Windows Vista and I guess in the new Windows too. This is because the folder has a write protection on it by default in Vista. You need to give yourself (user or administrator) full access rights to the mod folder in your CIV4 folder. The error messages should disappear after this.

I too had that problem. This only occurs when you are running it in Windows Vista and I guess in the new Windows too. This is because the folder has a write protection on it by default in Vista. You need to give yourself (user or administrator) full access rights to the mod folder in your CIV4 folder. The error messages should disappear after this.

Thanks for your help. Didn't know this. Under Win7 (as admin) I've never seen it before.

Thomas SG, I hope this crash is reproducable (this is 4.15 speed1). Whenever I hit enter and the next turn starts, it takes a long while (much longer than all the other turns before) and suddenly it crashes. I reproduced the crash three times on my machine to ensure that there is really a problem (at least on my pc).
As I posted in the general discussion thread I saw the BtS-exe calling Dr.Watson, I am not sure why or if that was just a coincidence. I just thought I mention it in case that might hint to something. Oh, and right before the crash I saw that the barb archer tried to move (but didn't) - I am not sure if that is of any importance.

I've played my first game since years last weekend. :) But thats even all I did in between. Started a game as king and fall back two handicap levels at first. Damn is this game hard now. Less experience, bad starting location and I'm in trouble on king. :mad: but :goodjob:. :D It was so much fun. I really like my mod. :D But I found endless minor bugs. Most of them are just text bugs. But TGC is not working as expected. Also the tech and civic promotions are buggy because you could promote with them manually. That should not happen. And also my game crashed in the late game. :cry:
But I've been hunting this mistake because I wanted to finish this game. And I found it. :) We got a problem in CvUnit.xml! <BuildingType>NONE</BuildingType> must be removed! After solving this one and the others from above (except text bugs) I could play for many, many turns again. But than it happend again. A CTD. :( So the weekend was gone. My game is not finished and I'm searching again for a rare late game bug.

And I found two bugs in speed. But there still must be third one. But this one is not the reason for my CTD. :(

So expect no patch soon. Makes no sense with a known CTD left. I'm too short on time at the moment. And hunting this bug may need lots of time.

Attachments

• CIV4UnitInfos.rar
    22.3 KB · Views: 102
Thomas SG, good to see you back! And nice that you found some time to play your own mod. ;) :D It is really great. :goodjob: I hope you will find the bug (and RL won't keep you from your mod for too long). ;)
Should we use the Civ4unitinfos.xml you posted as a replacement for the one we have installed?

Thomas SG, good to see you back! And nice that you found some time to play your own mod. ;) :D It is really great. :goodjob: I hope you will find the bug (and RL won't keep you from your mod for too long). ;)
Should we use the Civ4unitinfos.xml you posted as a replacement for the one we have installed?

Yes. This is the fixed file from 4.15.

And RL makes me crazy at the moment. But I'll try to release a new in between version for you.

There is a problem with the expanding city radius in 4.15 (solved in the in between version 4.20)! When acquiring an expanding technology like automobiles all existing buildings (especially wonders) will be destroyed and rebuild! That you got a message on the screen for this event is the minor part. But there are also bad side effects like starting golden ages again...

Found a new CTD caused by Mastery Victory. Also reported here. This bug is in 4.15 as well as in 4.20. Please keep that in mind or disable this victory tpye. Trying to solve it at the moment...

Going to the next official release!!!

CCV 4.21 is uploading now because I finally was able to kill (one of) the left late game bug(s). :) But Lost Battles is not included. Sorry. Had no time to import it into this version.

But 4.21 is a bit faster and more stable as 4.15. After killing so many bugs I think it's good for the next official release.

@CellKu:
Sorry for the fast next release. :sad: But if you started a game with 4.20 you should be able to go on under 4.21!

Sorry. We need an urgent patch for 4.21! The official release includes a test file. Furthermore the patch 4.22 includes important changes for the Advanced Diplomacy! Here is the link

I have some problems with 4.22:

1.) The hover text for embassies is a bit weird... (maybe because you disabled some of the mentioned features?)
Spoiler :

2.) During the last turns (in late BCs, currently 300 BC) several units in my cities got sudden promotions. First, I thought that was due to a new(?) feature regarding barracks, but it also happened in cities without barracks (and also no other buildings, except for a granary/terrace). Is that a bug or intended?
Spoiler :

3.) The domestic advisor screen is screwed up (didn't see that in previous versions): First, it doesn't show all the info that it should (according to the advisor screen editor), and when I close the editing screen, the editing screen doesn't disappear completely (see pic - that is after I pressed "exit").
Spoiler :

4.) Every now and then I had random CTDs, but whenever I reloaded and continued playing things were okay again. So, I can't reproduce it. :(

And a little request for whenever you find time for it (and if not too burdensome for you):
Would you mind outsourcing the art-terrain folder to another fpk-file? I would appreciate that a lot because I prefer playing with Chuggi's terrain and thus have to unpack and rebuild your art.fpk everytime you release a new version. :)

I have some problems with 4.22:

1.) The hover text for embassies is a bit weird... (maybe because you disabled some of the mentioned features?)
Spoiler :

I saw it too in my current game. Solved.

2.) During the last turns (in late BCs, currently 300 BC) several units in my cities got sudden promotions. First, I thought that was due to a new(?) feature regarding barracks, but it also happened in cities without barracks (and also no other buildings, except for a granary/terrace). Is that a bug or intended?
Spoiler :

Oh sorry. I have tried a gameplay change. I though that it is very stupid that units stay unexperienced for hundreds or thousands of years although there are barracks for a long time. And so I've tried a change. All units get +1XP per turn if there current XP is lower than the maximum XP your cities could give to a new created unit of this type!

3.) The domestic advisor screen is screwed up (didn't see that in previous versions): First, it doesn't show all the info that it should (according to the advisor screen editor), and when I close the editing screen, the editing screen doesn't disappear completely (see pic - that is after I pressed "exit").
Spoiler :

I've never seen this screen before. I'll search for the problem.

4.) Every now and then I had random CTDs, but whenever I reloaded and continued playing things were okay again. So, I can't reproduce it. :(

Me too. That makes it very difficult to solve them. One more CTD source is already found and solved with the next patch. But I know threre is still another one...

And a little request for whenever you find time for it (and if not too burdensome for you):
Would you mind outsourcing the art-terrain folder to another fpk-file? I would appreciate that a lot because I prefer playing with Chuggi's terrain and thus have to unpack and rebuild your art.fpk everytime you release a new version. :)

No problem.

Oh sorry. I have tried a gameplay change. I though that it is very stupid that units stay unexperienced for hundreds or thousands of years although there are barracks for a long time. And so I've tried a change. All units get +1XP per turn if there current XP is lower than the maximum XP your cities could give to a new created unit of this type!
Oh, thanks for the explanation. That is actually a good idea! :goodjob: But isn't +1XP per turn a bit quick? If units can get XPs so fast, the player might be able to exploit that. Because now I would use the following strategy (especially in the beginning when I have to decide whether to build barracks or invest the hammers in something else): build a barracks in only one city, build units in all (other) cities, send the units to the barracks city, wait two turns and get fully promoted units. Perhaps, the "training" could take a little while longer?
I've never seen this screen before. I'll search for the problem.
You will get to the editing screen when you hit the third button from the left in the bottom line in the domestic advisor screen - the one next to the 2 arrows.
No problem.
Thanks, I appreciate that! :)

Oh, thanks for the explanation. That is actually a good idea! :goodjob: But isn't +1XP per turn a bit quick? If units can get XPs so fast, the player might be able to exploit that. Because now I would use the following strategy (especially in the beginning when I have to decide whether to build barracks or invest the hammers in something else): build a barracks in only one city, build units in all (other) cities, send the units to the barracks city, wait two turns and get fully promoted units. Perhaps, the "training" could take a little while longer?)

My experience is good with +1XP per turn. Especially +1XP is even slow, even too slow, if you are at war. To be successful you still must build barracks in several cities to get fast well promoted units. The auto XP upgrade is too weak. The main reason are the collected great warlords in the cities (most of the time just one city, AI behaives the same). So the XP level is about 15-17XP. West Point makes it even worse. I like the gameplay change as it is. Please give it a try. :)

And you don't have to send them to the city!!! That would confuse the AI and would be a human exploit. The XP upgrade will/must happen everywhere. The city with the highest possible XP rate counts.

My experience is good with +1XP per turn. Especially +1XP is even slow, even too slow, if you are at war. To be successful you still must build barracks in several cities to get fast well promoted units. The auto XP upgrade is too weak. The main reason are the collected great warlords in the cities (most of the time just one city, AI behaives the same). So the XP level is about 15-17XP. West Point makes it even worse. I like the gameplay change as it is. Please give it a try. :)
Okay, I will see how it goes... :)
Btw, is it +1 XP per turn for all "not sufficiently" promoted units or only for one unit only per turn (e.g. you have 3 units and all three get +1XP per turn, or only one of them and next turn another one)? I had the feeling it was the latter. but I wasn't sure. In the second case (only one unit per turn +1XP) I concur with you that it is not to quick. :)
And you don't have to send them to the city!!! That would confuse the AI and would be a human exploit. The XP upgrade will/must happen everywhere. The city with the highest possible XP rate counts.
Oh that explains why units in cities without barracks were promoted as well. :) I was wondering about that. But that makes sense.

Btw, any other gameplay changes we should be aware of? ;)

with this file and 4.22 i get every round a ctds...

could you pls have a look ans fix it... i wann play ^^

Attachments

• Friedrich BC-0325.CivBeyondSwordSave
    434.7 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom