Halp. Discuss Openings Here!

Ergo Sum

Prince
In the runup to BNW I finally moved up to Emperor. Unfortunately now that I've started playing all my strategies are broken. Two principle problems:
1. I now need DoFs to sell off luxuries. Which breaks Tradition opening, or at least how I played it. Not enough cash flow to buy a worker, much less settlers or defense.
2. Not enough happiness - again because it takes so long to hook up luxuries. Opening with Liberty naturally only exacerbates this. Piety openings seem even less operative.

Basically my openings have been slowed down drastically. So share here your insight and power openings from BNW!!

In the runup to BNW I finally moved up to Emperor. Unfortunately now that I've started playing all my strategies are broken. Two principle problems:
1. I now need DoFs to sell off luxuries. Which breaks Tradition opening, or at least how I played it. Not enough cash flow to buy a worker, much less settlers or defense.
2. Not enough happiness - again because it takes so long to hook up luxuries. Opening with Liberty naturally only exacerbates this. Piety openings seem even less operative.

Basically my openings have been slowed down drastically. So share here your insight and power openings from BNW!!

This is my expectation and my experience so far. Best approach for Tradition is probably ignoring worker, army, religion and commerce until you've got a library and Hanging Gardens up, then if you're alive the rest is easy. Either way continue to ignore sailing as always because it still sets you back 1000 years to build a boat. Lame.

Steal workers from a city state. Build a few scouts and get gold by meeting as many city states as possible early on.

This is my expectation and my experience so far. Best approach for Tradition is probably ignoring worker, army, religion and commerce until you've got a library and Hanging Gardens up, then if you're alive the rest is easy. Either way continue to ignore sailing as always because it still sets you back 1000 years to build a boat. Lame.

Uhm, thats horrible advice.

Trade Routes = gold. Sea Trade Routes = More Gold.

seems liberty got a bit of buff

Doesn't need to buy settlers with cash - get them for free/ build them with bonus
Still Liberty also kind of leans on an early worker to set up 1-2 mines // chop a few forrests dowm, link up a lux for happy ..

How do you get that early worker ? Best bet would be early war steal from an AI neighbour .. Then there is one for a CS .. (could aslo hardbuild one by this point) and eventually a cash brought one as a reward for proper early exploration (CSs// ruins // barb camps) ..

Money for A->CB upgrade it going to be a @#$@ .. Maybe AIs will also lack funds for upgrades and early game defense should be easier ..
400 :c5gold: splash Wall rush is proabaly not going to happen very often anymore ..

It is very clear that early-game, buying things is not a viable option anymore. Given the lower natural GPT you get, and how buildings and units still do cost GPT, it's made evident that building a worker right off the bat is needed, and early expansion is a must. Worker-Settler is a good course of action even for otherwise tall-oriented civs that would go for scouting or making Monuments and Shrines. You absolutely need a high concentration of luxury resources, even if they're copies or not viable to improve yet, to get your GPT up so you can do pretty much anything. Jumping on caravans and cargo ships is a must- while before, you could get away with avoiding Animal Husbandry and Sailing for a while, that's not the case anymore. Trying for the Great Library jump to Philosophy and the National College isn't something you can casually do, as going in that direction could leave you crippled compared to others early on in the economic department, and you'll have less capacity to do much more from there, like buildings or more units.

Of course, this leaves Songhai with a massively bumped up early game. Hell, out of everyone, they basically have the most freedom to do what they want from the start, as that gold from encampments is an empowering fortune when you and everyone else is making 2-3 GPT on a good day. They can afford to be in the red for a bit and bump up military or infrastructure, because their cushion of gold means they won't be at the goose-egg for a long while.

Conversely, early aggressors and those with Ancient-era UUs are very nerfed. The Huns and Carthage especially have fallen down, since swarms of Battering Rams and Horse Archers are limited until opponents have the defenses to deal with those, and Carthage...ooph. That loss of Production is brutal, and good luck getting Quinquiremes out en masse while they're still effective. But then, they probably have to be played more for trade now, and Quinquiremes used to defend cargo ships instead of attack cities. If anything, the African Forest Elephant is a bit more attractive now, since selling off Strategic Resources early on can make the difference between bankruptcy and prosperity, and hooking up Horses can net you some gold while still giving you a tanky mounted unit.

Early warfare is even more limited now, which means going for that requires either supreme efficiency in getting units out there while your opponents are still weak and using them strategically instead of rushing, or setting up your own economic infrastructure as fast as possible to afford a greater volume of units. The Inca are especially dangerous with this, since they can set up roads without GPT cost and go for long distance trade routes early on when for everyone else even two road tiles would make the available trade routes a net loss. I already notice Pachacuti pumps out a massive amount of military early-game, but the expansion means he's capable of keeping that up when everyone else is less capable of defense.

Being forced to rethink strategies is a good thing IMHO. :)

You can always let the AIs established an embassy in your capital for 1 GPT. It's only 25 gold but money is money!

Shaka pays 50% maintainence on Warrior/Spear/Impi/Swords - so they can field a pretty potent army early on

Also Germany's general 25% discount now has more weight since gold has become more precious, same goes with Ottomons 33% naval discount.

Money is no longer an easy commodity to come by, and everyone is going to have to become more frugel with building Granaries, Libraries, Watermills, and large armies - at least until you can get Land trade + Markets flowing.

DoF are easier to come by however - I got one in my Shaka game with the Celts rather early on and was able to make some lump sum trades. Just be careful that whoever you DoF, isn't a civ you want to potentially take over - as the diplo hit is huge, which i found out after i decided I wanted the Celtic capital, with their sexy petra.

Trade and Diplomacy are now the way to generate early gold - Civ -> Civ trade has thus far been the most lucrative in the early game, though Civ -> City State can be a suitable fall back if your neighbours are too aggressive. Getting 6-7 gpt/turn from selling luxuries is a decent way to stay afloat, but be sure not to spend all that early gold generation on paying for Graneries you dont need.

Tradition has gotten a boost with free monuments - dont over look that, since now Liberty players will be hard pressed spending their precious GPT on monuments for border growth/SP generation. *EDIT* Liberty players generally need to maintain more workers to keep up with all the tile improvement needed, so with the burden of no river gold having to maintain workers, monuments/granaries/libraries, plus a fair sized army to repel early aggression, liberty play is going to be a balancing act with just trying to stay above 0gpt

Good points, I think liberty as a competitive opening is done. Scout-worker-Settler seems to be far more logical nowadays, not unlike Civ 4 (plus the scout).

Having just squandered the past 6.5 hours I have some insights to share. I went halfway through tradition for the culture and the free monuments, then went with piety. It sucks picking up the first few piety policies (half off religious buildings?) but it gave me a slight edge putting out my religion (mind you this is King). More importantly, the reformation belief can be a game-changer - I picked up the one that allows you to buy science buildings. Though it wasn't cheap keeping up all those shrines and temples I was able to put up unis in 4-5 turns, public schools in ~3, and research labs in a single turn by buying them with faith. I would tend to think, though, that I overinvested in faith, especially since I had a hard time keeping my happiness and growth as high as in G&K.

Still, I ended up about 80-100 turns behind my usual science benchmarks (lol), though I am far from an exemplary player. The trade routes are a lot of fun though and ensure you and your opponents a lot more gold than in G&K; predictably, I ended up with most of the CSs under my belt by the time of the World Congress, and since I haven't conquered much that's probably the most logical course of action. I've been working on tourism and culture in the past 50ish turns but most buildings just give +1 culture now, by comparison you swim in it in G&K. I'm betting it'll be a while before I could do a culture victory.

Edit: whoops I didn't give the tourism screen a single look. more later.

Top Bottom