Nope didn't work

Nevercallmyname

Chieftain
I downloaded a colection of custom factions that had been made for Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire but the creator never said where to put them. I found a folder labeled Facs and assumed they went there. Nope. So I moved them to the next likely place I thought of and Nope. I always get so lost and just wish I'd been told where to put the files.

Can someone here tell me please?

I downloaded a colection of custom factions that had been made for Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire but the creator never said where to put them. I found a folder labeled Facs and assumed they went there. Nope. So I moved them to the next likely place I thought of and Nope. I always get so lost and just wish I'd been told where to put the files.

Can someone here tell me please?

Hi Nevercallmyname,

You put the files into the "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri" folder.

Next, in order to use them ingame, you need to add them to your alpahx.txt file. Heres how:

1. Back up your original alphax.txt file (I usually create a separate folder called "Virgin files" and put a copy in there).
2. Open the alphax.txt file with a text editor and locate the following entry (its towards the bottom of the file): #CUSTOMFACTIONS
3. Next, one by one open each of the new factions' text files you want to add and enter
the name of the file, then the entry from the file which is preceded by the # sign. As an example I'll give you one of the custom factions I use, which is the Voracious. The file name is voracious, and the entry in the text file is #VORACIOUS, so the entry under #CUSTOMFACTIONS is as follows:

#CUSTOMFACTIONS
voracious, VORACIOUS

4. Repeat step 3 for each of the additional factions you want to add. Note though in-game that only the first entry will show when you pull up the game menu.
5. Once all factions are added save the alphax.txt file.
6. Start SMAX
7. When you get to the Faction selection screen you will see the first entry under the #CUSTOMFACTIONS listing. The other factions will not show in this screen

Unfortunately right now I can't remember how to get the other factions under the #CUSTOMFACTIONS listing into a game. I think you need to open the Scenario Editor and enter them that way, but am not sure (if someone else can help out with that it would be appreciated).

HTH,

D

In Alien Crossfire, they appear as options in the pulldown menu to the right in the faction select screen if installed properly. (If not installed properly, the game usually freezes at the faction select screen...)

In vanilla Alpha Centauri, they have to be swapped in for one of the original seven, file-name changed to. The early version had a faction load feature that, I believe, never worked.

See also here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=524576

Thank you, I followed your process and then realized that some of the downloads didnt come with a text file. What should I do about them? Also where did you get the Voracious from?

Thank you, I followed your process and then realized that some of the downloads didnt come with a text file.

Oh really!?! Can you post pics here of the downloads? If I've ever played around with them there might be some associated text files somewhere that I can associate to them. Also, I think AC2 mirrors all the old NetworkNode files, so you may be able to review the files there to see if any of them match up.

Barring that you could always create your own text files to associate to them. Its not that hard, and people here can show you how.

Also where did you get the Voracious from?

They are an old NetworkNode faction someone created (and I can't remember who anymore, unfortunately) that I then made into a super AI for me to play against. Their an aquatic reptilian race: very strong, very aggressive faction. They are included in the scenario "Children of the Sun", which is one of the scenarios in the Altera Centauri Scenario Repository here at CFC. Here is a link to the page the scenario is on:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=452400&page=3#47

D

I'm Pretty much just using all the factions from here: http://alphacentauri2.info/My Custom Factions/Custom Factions.htm
though I would like to use the replacement ones and the origional ones at the same time if at all possible.

There is a version of the Voracious there but it's one of the ones with no text file.

I'll also make some of my own since making text files is apparently so easy.

Anyway thank you for all the help.

Yeah. That's my factions page - Darsnan and I collaborated on that version of the Voracious, and I never had the .txt file. That's half his design on the art.

That leaderhead is someone's avatar on several forums...

I work the creative side of custom factions, which is why sometimes I posted only art - some of those are collaborations, some I never finished the .txt end I'm less interested in.

See the other thread I linked above for a link to the Network Node factions D mentioned - but try ete's Ultimate Faction pack linked there instead - all those factions have been tested and fixed where needed. It's mostly the same ones, but fixed, and downloads more reliably, too.

Keep us posted about how your custom factions interest goes. We're always up for feedback.

ah, I see so some of them I may never be able to use. Thank you for the ones that work then. I'm downloading ete's pack now.

and yes I will post my custom faction work here but I'll do a new thread for that. I'm going to try to do waves of seven that fit a theme and continue the story. I'm working on some robot factions right now but it feels like I'm jumping a step in the story so I'll likely be sharing something else first.

Ooh, diving into the deep end - that's the way I got started and then involved in the community when I had work I wanted to share and get feedback on. :D :goodjob:

You'll have noticed the second page of my custom factions page with all the graphics tutorials, so if GIMP or Photoshop suits you, that'll get you started on art. You plainly already see how important the story/creative end is, and good on you for that. I can answer questions. Plenty of help/questions answered from others on the tech/.txt end here when you have those.

Facedit is of the devil, though. Find AcEdit if you can get it running of W7, or do what the big dogs do and just edit in NotePad. All the accomplished .txt guys swear it's the best way once you know how.

I really ought to edit the factions page to add some general installation instructions. [pulls out to-do list...]

Yeah I'm a deep end kind of guy. I'd probably drown in the shallows.

I think I understand what has to be done to get the factions working now so thank you for that, if I hit a bump that I cant just steamroll flat on my own I'll just come back here.

I'm not even going to try and guess what tech/.txt does yet (though it sounds like its for adding to the tech tree?)

No, at this stage I'm just making the images for my factions.

I just mean the .txt files for the factions and the more technical end - not that operating a high-end graphics program like you'll need to doesn't take a lot of skillz. The controls are always an aircraft panel of complexity, and I don't know whether the non-artists always appreciate that.

Adding to the tech tree is possible, but way over my tech paygrade. SE choices can also be changed, and a lot of other things if one is sufficiently teh haxxor... Darsnan is a expert on what can be done without directly modifying the .exe, though there are four fellows at AC2 who can do that, too.

Anyway, the creative end with stories and art and the personality of factions and their leaders are very, very important, and attending to those things is a good deal more accessible to a beginner with talent and the ability to operate Photoshop or something of the sort. I find it rather exciting to see someone starting out. Good custom factions are very valuable to the community, and a good way to get started on the wonderful world of modding SMACX that so many find so rewarding as a hobby. :D

I just finished my first faction now and am about to try her out in game before going to bed. I have literally spent all day on this.

ok... She's showing up in game with the gaian graphics. How do I tell the game to use my custom graphics?

Ok, I have the images working but they've been mutilated and there's no transparency anywhere. I think I know how to fix it.

Top Bottom