Steam problem with offline games/offline mode

thadian

Kami of Awakened Dreamers
Sometimes when using my laptop i am unable to start steam in offline mode, which prevents me from playing games, and i have had errors about account credentials being saved.

is there an easy workaround so i can just get offline mode to work as it should?

the most recent error says

Cannot start offline mode because there are no account credentials stored on this computer

i have also had general unexplained

unable to start in offline mode

When you go "into" offline mode you have to be "on-line". You then close down steam by going into offline mode. Steam also does not like it when you reboot steam and you are still online. It seems to think that you only want to go offline if you are actually going offline. It also helps if you check or uncheck anything related to auto updates in both steam and Civ V.

If you have logged into steam on another computer, you may have to re-set the fact on this computer that it is indeed the comuter you want to run steam on. It seams logging onto steam using muliple computers brings up the "no account credentials on this computer" message. It seems to allow you to be logged on two computers at the same time, but then gets confused on which computer it will allow you to go offline on.

I have on problem mentioned by the OP.

I play Civ V mostly offline. But if I EVER turn my PC off, or accidentally lose power, when I get my PC up and running again, and try to play Civ V in offline mode it simply will not let me. I have to go somewhere with an internet connection, get online, start Civ V, then I'm back to being able to play offline - provided that I only ever Hibernate my PC. Shutting it down puts me back into the same problem.

Is there a way around this? I don't understand why a game I paid good money for (I bought a hard copy at Walmart) is one I'm not allowed to play offline. I sometimes live in a small village in Mexico with no internet, and if I go down there, I'm effed for playing Civ V if it ever crashed or I lose power.

Help...

Top Bottom