Gog has a sale on alpha centauri this weekend

kolpo

Warlord
Hello, i just noticed that Gog has a sale on all it's EA games including SMACX. I just bought SMAC+SMAX for 2.39$. I actually already owned SMAC but I never got expansion.

Gentlemen, we need to be shouting about this sale from the rooftops while it lasts - I've seen a lot of old CIVillians who have never touched AC, or haven't in over a decade, expressing interest in trying out SMACX (again) in the wake of the BE news. SMACers should want that happening as much as possible, however BE turns out. Do what you can to spread the word.

3 days and almost an hour to go on the sale...

Yay! Thanks for this! I was actually looking for the best deal on SMAC since I've never owned it, and I don't think I can get a better one than $2.39 =)

Does somebody know whether it runs on Windows natively, or requires DosBox (like many of GOG games)?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure why they don't give it away free in an effort to drum up interest in BE.

Does somebody know whether it runs on Windows natively, or requires DosBox (like many of GOG games)?

Thanks in advance!
SMACX is a pure Windows program. It doesn't require DosBox.
I'm not sure why they don't give it away free in an effort to drum up interest in BE.

EA owns the rights to SMACX. They compete with 2K Games/Firaxis, who makes Civ:BE.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up! I had this game on CD years ago but never got the expansion, looks like I have something to play this week.

Dang, I found this thread too late would have made a cheap op to patch and expand my original version which I haven't been able to run on my Win 7 machine. Still it is still pretty cheap for a classic game. Civ BE talk has certainly put it back in the spotlight. :)

Welcome to the Alpha Centauri forum!

The game definitely can run on Windows 7. Are you using the original Alpha Centauri (SMAC) or the Alien Crossfire expansion (SMAX)? Do you have the original version, the Planetary Pack, the Laptop Collection, the version from Sold-out Software, the GOG version, or something else? Does the game install successfully? If so, do you receive a specific error message when trying to run it? Have you installed any patches?

Is it worth upgrading to the GOG version, when one already owns the Sold-Out version? Any differences? Any chance the GOG version solves the silly Winows colour changing/flashing issue? Sadly none of the fixes and patches available on the WWW really solved the issue for my Vista PC... :(
Thanks in avance for any hints!

AFAIK, the GOG and SOS versions are the same. If you're having a problem with SOS, then GOG probably will have the same problem. For video problems, try adding the line

DirectDraw=0

to the [Alpha Centauri] section of your Alpha Centauri.ini file. If that doesn't help (or you've already tried this fix), please start a new thread and we'll try to figure out what's going on.

^
Thanks a lot for your reply. This really solved it. :goodjob:
After wasting quite a lot of time to fix the same issue for the Age of Empire games, I wouldn't have guessed there's such an easy fix for AC.

GOG has Alpha Centauri on sale again this weekend. See this announcement on CFC's front page for a link. GOG's version of Alpha Centauri includes the Alien Crossfire add-on and all official patches.

Is it with or without seriously irritating DRM?

Top Bottom