Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5

@kairob
It's because I turned off BIQ compression (option in the editor). It has no effect whatsoever, but tools such as MapTweaker only read uncompressed BIQs.

@Nor'easter
You must have created the "WH2.5" folder yourself e.g. while unzipping the original files. The mod always used "WH2" folder. Anyway, the patch should go to the original one and overwrite old files, whichever name you use.

@Stormy
I don't know what to say... :blush: but your posts always heartening, thanks.

Big words for someone who registered last month.

I maybe new to cfc forum, but it doens't mean I am new to Civ3 or modding.

If you actually created a mod, worked on it for months or years, maybe you'd understand what it means to have competing versions of your mod released by others.

I personally have no problem with that as long as competing versions noting where the content is originally from and what has modified. I view modding as open source community. As long as credit is clearly noted, everything can be shared and added/improved on.

Not sure where did you take that public domain from

It's usually in EULA of the software package (Civ3), or content you are modding with (Gameworkshop), or refer to laws passed by Congress, assuming you are US citizen or legal resident, if not, there are plenty international copyright laws. Of course, common sense does apply if you are in doubt, but they may not agree with law sometimes.

- content belongs to whoever created it, with usage limited by the GW IP policy.

The WF2.5 content doesn't belong to the mod creators since it is derivative work of Gameworkshop IP and in some portions, Firafax. IP owners own derivative works of their IP. Of course, there are different ways to work with IP owners to acquire partial/all ownship of the modding content.

Most of the mod's content is public domain courtesy of the creators, including myself, with a little note in the readme, where I ask for "common sense".

They are public domain once the mod is released by the modders to public. Since they are still owned by Game Workshop/Firafax in this case, their usage is defined by Game Workshop and Firafax. Anyone can use them anyway according to the usage defined by the IP owners except the truly original content (some graphics, but they are in the grey area depends how and why they were created and their origination)

I`m "kowtowing" (dunno what that means exactly, but I think I understand) to them, because I respect them immensly. They created the mod which I have been playing almost exclusivly among all other video games I have for the last few years. They did it with alot of hard work, and they gave it to me for free. If I had trouble with something, they helped me selflessly. And they have been putting up with me for the last year and a half, and thats very nice of them, cos I`m a "difficult" person, and I like being here and I like getting along with everyone. And I know this post is horrific in terms of grammar and style, but I`ve gots me posting frenzy on, ya digg? :p

Mrtn and I have had our disagreements, and still he is here anytime I screw something up. I really appreciate that. And this new patch. Thanks guys! :)

No one is doubting the hard work they did with WF mod, and I respected the mod being excellent product of blood and sweat, but the fact they try to restrict what other Civ3 players can do with WF mod and share one other in public domain is stifling. That goes against everything that makes modding a great experience (creating and sharing).

Yeah well thats your oppinion but if they dont want any alternate .biq's made then I for one wont pot any...

Some are my opinions and some are just laws. What you want to do about it is fine by me. I am not here to force anyone here to do anything against their own wishes. But the sad fact remains that the two current modders of WF2.5 is forcing all Civ3 WF modding creativity going through them. Sounds like dictorship, eh? then again, there are some benevolent dictorship that just worked out fine...

@kairob
It's because I turned off BIQ compression (option in the editor). It has no effect whatsoever, but tools such as MapTweaker only read uncompressed BIQs.

It does have an effect, if the mod reaches above about 3,000 KB (I think that's right). It stops you adding/placing etc. ANYTHING, due to a lack of memory, or something. I found this out the hard way with my Greek scenario. Of course, luckily I had made many backups!

I'm not working on a map, I just thought it would be best to give a precautionary warning, otherwise someone could find themselves after working on a huge map without any map or mod.

@Nor'easter
You must have created the "WH2.5" folder yourself e.g. while unzipping the original files. The mod always used "WH2" folder. Anyway, the patch should go to the original one and overwrite old files, whichever name you use.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I honestly don't exactly remember what happened when I unzipped the original files, but you're probably right. Anyway, it worked fine. The unzipped files from the patch I moved into the corresponding folders in my WH2.5 folder and it seems to be working fine so far. If there's a problem I'll just re-DL the whole thing.

Thanks again.

Some are my opinions and some are just laws. What you want to do about it is fine by me. I am not here to force anyone here to do anything against their own wishes. But the sad fact remains that the two current modders of WF2.5 is forcing all Civ3 WF modding creativity going through them. Sounds like dictorship, eh? then again, there are some benevolent dictorship that just worked out fine...
The units/LHs/buildings and so on for the WH mod are, I believe, all available for modding purpuses, so if you want to take them and make your own WH tabletop inspired mod then I'm sure no-one would complain. It is only taking the WH 2.5 mod, altering it, and then releasing it to the community that mrtn and ED are asking us to refrain from. If you want to use your creativity to alter the mod then no-one is stopping you from doing that for your own enjoyment. If you want there was another thread somewhere in which people started to discuss their favorite personal modifications for the WH mod, why not revive that and start the discussion up again? If enough people like it then your changes might make it into a (possible :mischief:) future version of the mod.

Ryuga,
Yes, the usage of works derived from GW IP is defined by their IP policy, available on their website. Please actually read it before making things up. The idea that a derivative work is public domain is just silly and you're contradicting yourself. It's either public domain or copyrighted.

The fact that GW, TakeTwo and many other parties, own the copyright to some trademarks or graphics of the mod does not make it public domain under any of those parties legal documents, only limit its use and prevents from obtaining any copyrights that would infringe their IP. Many parts of the mod are separate works by various creators, including myself, and those creators hold all rights to those materials.

Hey, no dictator is stopping you from creating your own Warhammer mod.

Ryuga,
Yes, the usage of works derived from GW IP is defined by their IP policy, available on their website. Please actually read it before making things up. The idea that a derivative work is public domain is just silly and you're contradicting yourself. It's either public domain or copyrighted.

The fact that GW, TakeTwo and many other parties, own the copyright to some trademarks or graphics of the mod does not make it public domain under any of those parties legal documents, only limit its use and prevents from obtaining any copyrights that would infringe their IP. Many parts of the mod are separate works by various creators, including myself, and those creators hold all rights to those materials.

My head hurts. :( I usually just click the "I accept" button when I read something like that.. :crazyeye:

The units/LHs/buildings and so on for the WH mod are, I believe, all available for modding purpuses, so if you want to take them and make your own WH tabletop inspired mod then I'm sure no-one would complain. It is only taking the WH 2.5 mod, altering it, and then releasing it to the community that mrtn and ED are asking us to refrain from.

I agree and I respect them as modders. But when they claim the mod content belong to them (see earlier post by ed and the claim is false(IP laws)), and it is against their wish for other modders of the community to create modification on WF2.5 and share with modders with similar disposition, that is what I have contention with.

If you want to use your creativity to alter the mod then no-one is stopping you from doing that for your own enjoyment. If you want there was another thread somewhere in which people started to discuss their favorite personal modifications for the WH mod, why not revive that and start the discussion up again? If enough people like it then your changes might make it into a (possible :mischief:) future version of the mod.

I totally agree here. Alas, I do not have the time for modding Civ3 WH, with RL and other mods. I am speaking up for people who would likely to mod WH2.5 (i.e. unit balancing, more units, etc). Momentum was built up earlier this month to balance some units and add additional units until said caretakers posted that it is against their wishes as if they own the content. In addition, they stated no new work was planned for WH mod. Then everyone just backed off from balancing/adding units. Ed since then has released an un-announced patch (mostly bug fixes) a few days ago, we all appreciate that, of course, but it didn't address unit balancing and new units we were discussing earlier in the mod.

Ryuga,
Yes, the usage of works derived from GW IP is defined by their IP policy, available on their website. Please actually read it before making things up.
Thanks for mentioning it. Please read it yourself before accusing me not reading it. http://games-workshop.com/can_cant_do.htm#cando. I agreed with you that the usage is defined by GW IP policy (please re-read my earlier post), but your claim of mod content belonging to you is contradictory to what GW IP policy dictates (No one but IP owners own derivative work) which is my original contention against your claim.

The idea that a derivative work is public domain is just silly and you're contradicting yourself. It's either public domain or copyrighted.

The fact that GW, TakeTwo and many other parties, own the copyright to some trademarks or graphics of the mod does not make it public domain under any of those parties legal documents, only limit its use and prevents from obtaining any copyrights that would infringe their IP.

I did not claim derivative work = public domain.

Many parts of the mod are separate works by various creators, including myself, and those creators hold all rights to those materials.

Any work created using GW IP (in this case, Silver helm units, great canon units, city names, leader heads, etc... pretty much most content in WF2.5, the rest is Firafax, i.e. game mechanics, usage of civ flavour) is not owned by modder. This is the key of copyright and trademark for creating work using other's IP unless IP owners specifically states they are granting the ownership to the derivative work.

Concur, but it sounds like dictator when people want to create a different unit line (i.e.O&G, see earlier posts within this thread) and share it with others who have similar disposition, and the current caretakers of the mod come out
and states it is against their wishes even though they do not own the content (see above), and said people back off from creating different unit line. Granted, I respect the fact others respecting the wishes of the caretakers of the mod, but such situation stifles the creativity of the modding community, which is all about creating and sharing. And this is my original point.

I have made my original point, further discussion is likely to be moot for me. And I could definitely use more time on modding than discussing, :D. Besides, I have obtained 30 posts for a custom avatar, :).

Look you dont want to mod it, and no one else has a problem with it, so why not give it a rest hey? Also ED never claimed that the mod content belonged to them (i.e. the unit graphics, tech icons etc...) just the mod itself.

All right, one last point. Mod itself doesn't belong to them either since the mod is built from Civ3 engine and mechanic which are derivative work of Firafax...

The mod IS, as it is now, finished. Even I can agree with that, and you are yet to see me in action when I get "enthousiastic about new stuf" outside my PM traffic. Its totally balanced, playable and re-playable. Each faction offers their unique gameplay, something I haven`t seen in other mods (tho Rob seems to be going full throtlle on that with his AD) and is fun to play.

New stuff would be just pure "cosmetics" and I can understand that the guys don`t want that if they`re satisfied with what the mod looks like now. I just wish CamJH sticked around before vanishing again, his stuff was just "a must" to be added and they couldn`t have said no to that :)

PS - stop calling them Firafax.
PPS - you can`t win this argument, I`m an orc.

The mod IS, as it is now, finished. Even I can agree with that, and you are yet to see me in action when I get "enthousiastic about new stuf" outside my PM traffic. Its totally balanced, playable and re-playable. Each faction offers their unique gameplay, something I haven`t seen in other mods (tho Rob seems to be going full throtlle on that with his AD) and is fun to play.

New stuff would be just pure "cosmetics" and I can understand that the guys don`t want that if they`re satisfied with what the mod looks like now. I just wish CamJH sticked around before vanishing again, his stuff was just "a must" to be added and they couldn`t have said no to that :)

PS - stop calling them Firafax.
PPS - you can`t win this argument, I`m an orc.

lol, thanks for catching that, but I thought Firafax sounds cooler, :D.

Thanks for mentioning it. Please read it yourself before accusing me not reading it. http://games-workshop.com/can_cant_do.htm#cando. I agreed with you that the usage is defined by GW IP policy (please re-read my earlier post), but your claim of mod content belonging to you is contradictory to what GW IP policy dictates (No one but IP owners own derivative work) which is my original contention against your claim.

I never said I own the mod. In fact, no one can claim its ownership because the mod is a collection of many works by different authors. I do own, however, most of the content I created. The fact that they are in the mod is irrelevant, because they are independent works, available on this site, and not related to GW IP. See below.

Any work created using GW IP (in this case, Silver helm units, great canon units, city names, leader heads, etc... pretty much most content in WF2.5, the rest is Firafax, i.e. game mechanics, usage of civ flavour) is not owned by modder.

You're very confused as to what the Warhammer Fantasy Mod is. It is not a derivative work, but a project that includes many works by many artists, some of which are derivative works, some of which have nothing to do with Warhammer. That's how Civ3 modding works, in general. We create and share content, and then build our mods from it.

Great Cannon? I'm afraid it's aaglo's medieval siege cannon unit, created by him, for civ3 community to use in their mods. It has nothing to do with Warhammer. I have included this unit in the mod and named it "Great Cannon". Is that getting clear?

There are some artworks that are specifically based on GW IP. A lot of the graphics are not. They are not owned by Firaxis either, because they were created independently by artists and made available on this site. If I create a PCX file in Photoshop, with a photo of my penis, and put it as a leaderhead in the mod, it's still my PCX file, with my photo of my penis, not a derivative work of Warhammer or Civ3. Clear? EDIT: my penis won't be public domain either, I hope

I am very sorry this mod caused such a blow to creativity of the Civ3 modding community. Depriving the creators of rights to their work, however, is not stimulating either.

Top Bottom