Fall from Heaven: Age of Ice

"Fans of the popular dungeon crawler-like mod, Fall from Heaven"

'Dungeon crawler'? Wow, that's a pretty lame stereo-type. That, plus the 4-hour comment, makes it seem like they merely took a look at the screen shots before writing the article.

I notice climate. Hopefully something as interesting as Alpha Centauri's makes it in the normal game too :)

Gamespy had the following to say about AoI:

Fall From Heaven: Age of Ice is a popular Civ IV mod, and by being an official part of the BtS expansion, it's been upgraded with spiffy graphics and effects. Basically, you play as Kylorin, who is out to re-assemble the Godslayer sword and take down the God of Winter. Besides the overall fantasy look, tweaks to gameplay include a massive blizzard that can mess with parts of the map, hero units like the sorceress Epona who can fling fireballs around, and tamable wildlife (such as the giant spiders or mammoths lollygagging about on the map).

You can read the full article here: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/civilization-4-beyond-the-sword/798801p1.html

Gamespy had the following to say about AoI:

Fall From Heaven: Age of Ice is a popular Civ IV mod, and by being an official part of the BtS expansion, it's been upgraded with spiffy graphics and effects. Basically, you play as Kylorin, who is out to re-assemble the Godslayer sword and take down the God of Winter. Besides the overall fantasy look, tweaks to gameplay include a massive blizzard that can mess with parts of the map, hero units like the sorceress Epona who can fling fireballs around, and tamable wildlife (such as the giant spiders or mammoths lollygagging about on the map).

You can read the full article here: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/civilization-4-beyond-the-sword/798801p1.html

"spiffy graphics"... thanks for the complement :D

Yeah, but why attribute it to 'FfH being an official part of BtS'? Sounds as if they couldn't believe that non-professionals could make mindblowing graphics... :)

Ok I don't know if this has been covered before but will we be able to do AOI with Random maps? I have never ben much for the senario type game I always play a random map. Heck I have warlords and have never played it because I can't use FFH with it. and I have never played any of the senarios in either Civ IV or Warlords.

Nope, it's a scenario and therefore (as noted above and in at least 2 of the articles linked) takes place on a fixed map. I'll be surprised if the nattiest features don't make it into Shadow, though.

I understand but one wuld think that they could use the assets for a random map.

I'm not sure a random map based on the AoI assets would be much fun - you're better off just playing standard FfH for random map goodness.

so is there a reason one would want to buy the expansion? I only play Civ 4 because of the random map goodness. And I havent played a game without FfH since I first bought the game.

There is, Shadow will only be available with BtS. If you are fine with Fire [it will be polished] then you wont need BtS, in you want to play the end product then buy BtS.

I will wait till Shadow is released. The AoI will be then a nice addition but the expansion by it self would never land on my shelf. FfH is the only reason now to have Civ IV, there is no turning back :) Like with HoM&M3 and WoG.

so is there a reason one would want to buy the expansion? I only play Civ 4 because of the random map goodness. And I havent played a game without FfH since I first bought the game.
I'm not a big fan of scenarios myself. I haven't played any for Civ IV, even those made for FfH II by the fan community.

However, AoI is more than just a scenario, it's an adventure into the history of the FfH setting. It's got wonderful game-play, graphics, story - everything you expect from the FfH team. It's also, in my opinion, very replayable - something that surprised me considering it's a scenario.

Even if FfH wasn't going to the BtS code-base, I'd still recommend the expansion for true fans of the FfH setting just for the scenario alone.

Here's a challenge for when AoI comes out: Beat it on deity. Vorshlumpf did. I'll never manage (yeah, I'm a CIV moron, who'da believed it), but I'd like to see you guys try:D

I've been creamed on Deity four times now. :blush:

But, going back down to Immortal seems a bit easier and I last longer before getting overrun.

So does the improved AI in BtS make the game harder, and that's why it's so much more difficult to beat or is it because of the scenario objectives?

So does the improved AI in BtS make the game harder, and that's why it's so much more difficult to beat or is it because of the scenario objectives?
The improved AI has a lot to do with it, but I feel the scenario is also a bit more difficult than your standard random game.

One or two features of FfH2 show up in a couple other BtS scenarios, and so the AI knows how to deal with this where it doesn't seem to so much now. (Can't go into specifics, but I believe it will improve FfH2 random game a bit as well when ported over.)
In my experience, between a couple versions of AoI/BtS it went from a bit easy to nicely challenging.

The new BtS trailer is sporting some AoI gameplay scenes. I uploaded a copy for those that haven't grabbed it online yet: BtS Trailer

Top Bottom