Golden Age affect trade? Harbors?

Alex_K

Chieftain
During a Golden Age I had London complete a harbor. Over the next few turns I had harbors completed in other British cities on other land masses. They did not register as having trade routes w London until the Golden Age ran its course. Any idea why?

Out of curiosity, In such a case does both the capital and the city on another land mass have to have harbors to establish a trade route? Or can one get by with just one (and if so, which one)?

Out of curiosity, In such a case does both the capital and the city on another land mass have to have harbors to establish a trade route? Or can one get by with just one (and if so, which one)?

Both of your cities (capital & the city on another landmass) would require harbour to establish a trade route. You can also construct harbour in one of your colony & link other colonies with it through roads. All those cities would then be connected to the capital (if it has harbour). So for example as English, you establish 2 colonies in America A & B. You have two choices to connect these cities to capital. Either build harbour in both A & B or build harbour in one of them & connect it to the other through roads.

Both of your cities (capital & the city on another landmass) would require harbour to establish a trade route. You can also construct harbour in one of your colony & link other colonies with it through roads. All those cities would then be connected to the capital (if it has harbour). So for example as English, you establish 2 colonies in America A & B. You have two choices to connect these cities to capital. Either build harbour in both A & B or build harbour in one of them & connect it to the other through roads.

I just wanted to specify that it doesn't have to be your capital that has the harbor. You just need a harbor in a city that is connected to your capital by road.

I just wanted to specify that it doesn't have to be your capital that has the harbor. You just need a harbor in a city that is connected to your capital by road.

Ah did not know that, thanks!!!!!!!!

For harbors to work, a "clear path" must exist between two harbors. Thus, naval blockades, ice tiles (very important!), (closed) foreign borders, barbarian ships (in case of pre-astronomy travel restricted to coast) can all break sea trade routes.

The ice tiles are particularily nasty. Say you want to connect a northern tundra city via harbor with a tropical one. If your ships wouldn't be able to get there due to ice, the connection won't work either.

For harbors to work, a "clear path" must exist between two harbors. Thus, naval blockades, ice tiles (very important!), (closed) foreign borders, barbarian ships (in case of pre-astronomy travel restricted to coast) can all break sea trade routes.

The ice tiles are particularily nasty. Say you want to connect a northern tundra city via harbor with a tropical one. If your ships wouldn't be able to get there due to ice, the connection won't work either.

In a normal game, you'll only get a city that's not accessible by coast pre-Astronomy if you are Polynesia, so my question is: does Polynesia need Astronomy to form trade routes over ocean even with their UA?

Is this correct? Has it changed at some time? I'd swear I had a city connect that was on one of those polar "ice-locked" sub-seas.

Ah right. I forgot to mention that. :blush:

Top Bottom