New Civilization: Bern

Golemone

Chieftain
Hello

I was curious about modding, so I tried to make a first mod. As a civilization I choose Bern, because:
- afaik no one else did
- I live here :>

Bern wasn't exactly what you might call a "civilization", they didn't cause any world wars and so on, but in the Middle Ages they terrorized half of today's Switzerland and a few farms in Burgundy. Hey, they defeated Charles the Bold! (With the help of other Swiss cantons, still appreciated.)

As a leader I choose the most famous citizen, Adrian von Bubenberg (1434-1479), although there is no picture of him available. A statue will have to do.

I tried not to build a super civilization by exaggerating the traits, so I kept it fairly modest. Those traits might give you an advantage in the early game, but later on they become obsolete.

Trait
The leader trait I called "Highlander" (I hope the Scots won't mind, but we have hills here, too): "Units ignore terrain costs when moving into any tile with Hills. No maintenance costs for improvements in Hills." (Yes, I nicked part of it from the Incas.)

Special unit
Hellebardier: "This unit is tougher than the Pikeman and has an attack bonus in rough terrain." Combat 12, but production cost 90.

Special building
Kornhaus:"The Kornhaus produces more food than the Granary." 3 food units instead of 2, but the production cost is 75.

The graphics are laughable. You can tell, I'm no graphic dude. At least, the old Bernese Military flag looks cool.

Download: Bern Mod
Works with or without "Gods & Kings" and "Brave New World".

Thanks to all the people who made the tutorials I found here!

Two problems remain:
- The text of the cities are in the Civ.xml. As soon as I try to define them in the GameText.xml (as it should be) the whole file is ignored. All other text works fine there. No big deal, since city names should remain in their native language anyway.
- According to a tutorial I found I tried to integrate two sound files (war and peace), compilation was okay, no errors, but they never played. I have to look into that another time.

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Top Bottom