Question RE: Steam

HadesScorn

Warlord
So I've had my roommate hooked on FfH for a few months now. Sadly, I commissioned on Monday and am off to Knox in five days [and I am taking the BtS disc with me]. Does anyone know if the Steam Civ 4: CE works well with FfH and modmods? It's that or hunt on Amazon, and frankly I'd prefer gifting via Steam.

Yeah it works fine. There was a bug that broke the steam version when the new FfH version came out but it was fixed.

Why is it that whenever someone writes steam as a part of a topic, I still think of steam. As in, y'know, actual steam?

You'll want to check up on Steam before getting stuff for a military stint. I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other, but they do have region controls on stuff. If they've done a stupid, a Steam version might work great here, but decide you're a pirate in Afghanistan.

Steam is definitely on my boycott list. Good for anyone who hasn't had any trouble with it, but I've seen enough people get a world of trouble for dealing with Steam, not to mention finding it way too nosy for my liking. I much prefer my computer spyware-clean, and would prefer being able to play my installed games even if I don't have a working internet connection at hands.

Pardon, I often can't resist to let out some steam when the situation arises :)

Psychoak - True,, I will look into it, but I may have other stuff on my mind while I'm over there. ;)

Taalen - The internet connection issue actually made me highly reluctant as well - my older brother works in tech and has been using it for a few years. I finally decided that since I usually operate around 95% up-time, I could accept the occasional unexpected outage. If I know a connection is unlikely, I can go to "offline" mode in advance, and reconnect once I'm secure again. RE the spyware, are you referring to their hardware monitoring system? They're fairly open about it. I've been using them for about 6 months, with few complaints. Haven't seen sight or sound of any processes running that I haven't approved, which I'm OCD about [the main reason I will never use a freakin Apple product or service again].

my steam Civ works 100% of the time for me in offline or online mode. I even save on HD space by having only BTS installed. Mods and graphics packs have no trouble with the rare exception when certain mod installers assume civ is loaded in the "default" firaxis folder.

I've only had one snag and that was about a year ago when I first installed it from steam where it hung on 95% complete for about an hour despite having reloaded steam, rebooted, etc. I emailed support but it resolved itself before I got a reply.

I actually purchased the steam version after already having bought the CD version just for mere convenience of digital download.

I use Steam, and I purchased my games in the USA. I now live in Japan and have had no problem accessing Steam, downloading updates, or purchasing new games. If you do think using Steam online will be a problem, just keep it in offline mode. I usually do that anyway.

Mods and graphics packs have no trouble with the rare exception when certain mod installers assume civ is loaded in the "default" firaxis folder.

I get this problem even though mine is a retail copy.

Just because I install all my games under a root folder named "Games" on my non system drive. It's just bad mod design when that issue comes up.

The only problem I have with Steam is that you can't load the mod directly from a shortcut. You have to load BTS from Steam and then switch to the mod when the game's running. This also means that you can't directly load game saves from your saved game folder, even ones just for BTS, which is a big irritation for me.

yes you can Dead Flag. Create a shortcut using this in the target box: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="\Fall from Heaven 2" including the quotes. In fact the only difference between this and the default is the extra quotes around mod=\Fall from Heaven 2

EDIT: Fixed location of quotes

Steam is definitely on my boycott list. Good for anyone who hasn't had any trouble with it, but I've seen enough people get a world of trouble for dealing with Steam, not to mention finding it way too nosy for my liking. I much prefer my computer spyware-clean, and would prefer being able to play my installed games even if I don't have a working internet connection at hands.

Pardon, I often can't resist to let out some steam when the situation arises :)

Thats great that you come into a thread and give an irrelevent opinion on your consumer choice as if its an identity.

Top Bottom