Civilization Request Thread

"Slightly different interpretation?"

People died over this. The "arse-end" of the Levant has been Alexandria since when? Alexandria was one of the major early Christian cities.

I was talking about Theodora's differing interpretation of Jesus's nature (i.e. him having one rather than two natures, because that's such a deeply vital concern to the daily lives of the faithful). You'd be aware of this if you'd read through mine and roblrich's previous bickering, though I fully understand if you didn't want to. Also, I'm aware that people died over this argument; people died in the Football War too, and the fact that they did doesn't make the reasons for the conflict any more dignified. Quite the reverse, in fact: it just makes the loss of life even more unnecessary.

Look, I respect the right of people to believe what they wish about the universe and their place in it, but I draw the line at using those beliefs as a stick with which to beat people over the head. Frankly there's enough of that IRL without needing it to happen here.

@xd22lax: I don't know about the exact civilisations from Scramble For Africa, but you could do a lot worse than check out Gedemo's African civs. They seem to work pretty well. Other than that, well, there's always Zambezi by Pouakai, but I don't know how well it'll work with BNW. Hope that's of more use. =]

You'd be aware of this if you'd read through mine and roblrich's previous bickering, though I fully understand if you didn't want to. Also, I'm aware that people died over this argument; people died in the Football War too, and the fact that they did doesn't make the reasons for the conflict any more dignified. Quite the reverse, in fact: it just makes the loss of life even more unnecessary.

If you can't tell the difference between a football match and a theological dispute, then you're delving into #2edgy4me territory.

Look, I respect the right of people to believe what they wish about the universe and their place in it, but I draw the line at using those beliefs as a stick with which to beat people over the head. Frankly there's enough of that IRL without needing it to happen here.

The first step to being allowed to complain about something is actually knowing what it was about. Especially since the split between the eastern and western churches was, on its face, a theological dispute of interpretation of the New Testament.

You can't just say, "Oh, that isn't a big deal because it doesn't matter to the layman" when the effects of the theological disputes constantly trickled down to the everyday Christian in both halves of the empire.

My final comments (as simple as I can) on why Theodora should not have been chosen leader of The Byzantine Empire is this. The Byzantine Civ is based on the Eastern Orthodox faith whose symbol is actually on the Civ's cities' labels. They actually get an extra religious belief in the game. Theodora did not believe in this faith!

Why Scapegrace attacked me and tried to make this personal is beyond me. I wonder if he will have the same comments about Cardinal Baronius.

Cardinal Caesar Baronius, an Italian Cardinal and ecclesiastical historian, on Theodora, who professed openly the monophysite doctrine (the belief in the one nature in the person of Jesus Christ), and also endeavored to bring Justinian to her view of this anti-Christian doctrine, "The wife of Justinian was a detestable creature, a second Eve too ready to listen to the serpent, a new Delilah, another Herodias, revelling in the blood of the saints, a citizen of Hell, protected by demons, inspired by Satan, burning to break the concord bought by the blood of confessors and of martyrs." :goodjob:

http://biblehub.com/library/brittain/women_of_early_christianity/xi_the_empress_theodora.htm

Cesare Baronio (also known as Caesar Baronius; August 30, 1538 – June 30, 1607) was an Italian Cardinal and ecclesiastical historian. His best known work are his Annales Ecclesiastici ("Ecclesiastical Annals"), which appears in twelve folio volumes (1588–1607).

Pope Clement VIII, whose confessor he was, made him cardinal in 1596 and librarian of the Vatican. Baronius restored his titular Church of Sts Nereus and Achilleus, and a procession in 1597 celebrated a transfer to it of relics.[2] He also had work done on the Church of St Gregory's on the Caelian.

At subsequent conclaves Baronius was twice papabile. On each occasion he was opposed by Spain on account of his work on the "Monarchy of Sicily," in which he supported the Papal claims against those of the Spanish government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_Baronius

If anyone is interested, I have two civilization ideas to go along with, it's loosely based on Civs from Civ 4.

Norman Sicily:
Civ Leader: Roger II
UA: Land of Three Cultures: Generate Great People 10% faster. +2 Happiness for each owned city which has 2 or more religions within it.
UU: Brigand (Replaces Knight) which can Move after attacking
UB: Administrative Court (Replaces Courthouse) which adds +10% Science and +1 Culture, and contributes to Great Artist/Scientist Generation.

Cities:
Spoiler :
Palermo (Capital)
Naples
Catania
Messina
Siracusa
Reggio
Tropea
Crotone
Brindisi
Taranto
Bari
Trani
Melfi
Salerno
Capua
Gaeta
Pescara

Mughal:
Civ Leader: Babur
UA: Timurid Legacy: Every enemy unit killed in your borders provides Faith and Culture. The effects are increased by +50% when Honor and Piety Social Policies are fully adopted
UU: Siege Elephant (Replaces Cannon) which does not need to be set up before firing at the cost of reduced strength (22 vs. 26)
UB: Mughal Fort (Same effects as the original)
(India's UB is replaced with the Masoleum which replaces the Police Station, which provides +2 happiness per city and -33% enemy spy stealing rate.

Cities:
Spoiler :
Agra (Capital)
Fatephur Sikri
Lahore
Shahjahanabad
Hyderabad
Calcutta
Ahmedabad
Lahore
Akbarabad
Nagpur
Cuttack
Neroon Kot
Udaipur
Ahmadnagar
Srinagar
Ujjain

Im not sure if the 40k mod is fully available, but Id like to request one specific faction to become a civ.

World Eaters
leader: Angron
UA: Eaters of Cities: Units will keep fighting at full strength and have 10% more strength than their equal counterparts, but they may not use the Instant Heal. (they may use fortify untill healed).
UU: Berzerker: Replaces Mechanized Infantry and gains a +33% bonus against cities and +25% defence against incoming ranged attacks.
UB: Gladiator Pits: Replaces Colosseum. Provides +2 Happiness, costs no maintenance and troops built in this city get +10% attack against other units.

Cities:

Spoiler :

Nuceria (*)
Bodt
Skalathrax
Cerberus
Ghenna
Arrigata
Alpha Shalish
Isstvan III
Isstvan V
Cephic
Nove Shendak
Golgotha
Legio Audax
Khârnsstead
Colchis
Monarchia
Cadia
Terra

If I am not mistaken there should be a thread about a 40k mod that has the world eaters badge in it, I think thats the best to use.
Also the border colours are blue with a red outline.

@Noblesse: I don't know about a Mughals mod, but Gedemo's working on one for the Timurids and it's looking pretty snazzy. However, I think the Mughal UA you've got here looks really underpowered. Unless you're picking fights with anyone and everyone (which I'm not convinced is any way to run a railroad, as the saying goes), you're not going to get enough Culture from it to warrant sinking 12 policies into it. If you're keen on tying it to a policy tree, keep Honour; you've got half a chance of getting it reasonably early on. Also, rather than nick the Mughal Fort from India and make them have something that may not actually exist if Espionage is turned off, why not try this:-

UB: Masjid (Replaces Castle)
+7 City Strength, +25 City HP. +2 :c5faith:, +2 :c5gold: after Architecture is discovered. Available at Theology.

Also, I'd suggest Akbar the Great rather than Babur as a leader, since he's generally considered to have presided over the golden age of the Mughals. I hope this was helpful. =]

Twas plenty helpful actually. Mughal history isn't my strongest historical point (that honor goes to Germany and France) but I digress, thanks.

I'd like a mod that replaces the Celts and splits them into four civs: Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Gaul. I've seen some other mods out there kinda like this but none of them really suit my tastes. If anyone is interested in trying this, let me know and I'll give you the details I want. Thanks in advance!

@Crwydryn: There's always Hiram's Celtic Civilisations pack; it doesn't have Gaul, but it does have Cornwall, The Picts, Wales, Ireland, and the Iceni. Hopefully that'll be of some use.

As for my own request, well...

The Seychelles (Jean-Baptiste Queau de Quincy)
Start Bias: Coastal
UA: Haven For All Nations
If a Trade Route to or from one of your Cities is plundered, gain the same amount of :c5gold: Gold plundered from it. +1 :c5happy: Happiness per Declaration of Friendship and Allied City-States.
UI: Coconut Plantation
Unlocks after Economics is researched. +2 :c5food: Food, +1 :c5production: Production, +2 :c5greatperson: Great Merchant points. +2 additional :c5greatperson: Great Merchant points after an Ideology is adopted, +1 :c5food: after Fertilizer is researched, and +1 :c5production: Production after Scientific Theory is researched. Can only be built on Coastal tiles.
UU: Dhow Hunter (replaces Frigate)
Starts with Targeting I. Gains a unique promotion that means it gets a permanent +5% :c5strength: Combat Bonus each time it plunders an enemy Trade Route. Costs 1.5 times as much production as the Frigate.

I freely admit I've got no idea how to make the UU's ability work and I fear it might be a little overpowered, but it's to represent the Seychelles' hardline attitude on slavery while it was a British colony. I'm not sure how useful the UI is, but Great Merchants are always a bit neglected by people who aren't Venice and I'm not certain how else to reflect that the islands only started to really prosper after the plantations of more normal crops dried up and the colonists realised they could harvest coconuts instead and take a fraction of the effort and manpower to do so. As for the UA, well... having your Trade Routes plundered sucks, and the Seychellois were historically neutral during the Napoleonic Wars, aiding both British and French ships. Hopefully this reflects that.

Potential colour hexcodes:-
Icon: 43cd80
Main: 36648b

Potential icon:
Something based on a coconut palm, maybe? I don't know.

If anyone would care to make this, I'd be very grateful indeed. =]

@Crwydryn: There's always Hiram's Celtic Civilisations pack; it doesn't have Gaul, but it does have Cornwall, The Picts, Wales, Ireland, and the Iceni. Hopefully that'll be of some use.

LastSword has also made Gaul and Scotland, so most of the major celtic civs are out there.

If fictional Civs are able to be suggested here, I've got one. It's from a Roleplay club at my local school.

Kingdom of Liania (Gwillym the Serene)
Start Bias: Coastal
Colors: 000080 / 40E0D0 (Navy Blue/Turquoise)
UA: (Trade Sheiks) +2 :c5culture: from each trade route. Gain :c5culture: equal to 50% of :c5gold: from trade routes.
UI: Clintonian (Replaces Library) +1 :c5science:, +1 :c5happy:, and +1 :c5culture:.
UU: Horse Healers (Replaces Horseman) Starts with March and Medic Promotions, but costs more.

Tell me what you guys think!

Kushan Empire? Anyone? :(

With Kanishka the Great as Leader :)

if there is no one willing to make this I'll just have to figure out how to make a civ myself, haha (I only make maps/scenarios and play them for personal enjoyment, might release one though)

After the awesomeness that is More Civs Indian Pack, something i'd really like to see is a Chinese Pack, in part because China tends to be pretty empty in my TSL games, which is a little sad.

I would really love to see someone do a Buganda civ at some point, or at least some other civ from the great lakes region. It is one of the more obvious developed regions of Africa that has thus far been untouched by modding.

I have a rather simple idea that I put together for the civ:

Buganda

Leader: Muteesa I

UA: Father of the Bataka: Puppeted cities have no culture penalty. Internal trade routes with puppeted cities provide 20% more food and production.

Colours - Orchid and Dark Brown

Unique Unit: Bapere, replaces Musketman; cheaper, and gains +50% against cities smaller than your capital

Unique Improvement: Plantain Grove, unlocks with Calendar; provides +1 food and +2 hammer and +1 additional food when fertilizer is researched. Must be built on a jungle tile with access to fresh water.

I would also support the creation of a "Gulf States" Civ, with Dubai as a capital and other cities pulled from Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait. I produced some basic artwork, but had some trouble doing any worthwhile coding.

Slovakia

Leader: Ivan Gašparovič

Colours - blue and red

Unique Improvement: Bratislava castel

Fairly certain there's at least one Slovakia mod extant on this site, but it eludes me as to who did it. Anyone?

Top Bottom