JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Nicholas II updated:

• Added new Unique Building and Unique Unit.
  • Added original Peace and War themes.
  • Added new leaderscene and Map art.
  • Wonder Production bonus is now a modifier, and restricted to the Capital.
  • Faith from WLTKD is now restricted to the Capital.

Steam Workshop link hasn't been updated yet.

Thanks to JanBoruta for obliging me on expanding Nicholas to include a unique unit and building, as well as map and a fantastic leaderscreen. Probably not a leader that he would normally do; so I am sincerely appreciative for his work here.

Nicholas II - The Empire of Russia (BNW) Download Subscribe

Spoiler :

The Empire of Russia - Nicholas II
Third Rome: Wonder Production is increased in your Capital by its Faith output. Cities celebrating "We Love the King Day" increase Faith in the Capital.

Opolcheniye: The Opolcheniye is a very weak unique unit for Nicholas II, having significantly less Combat Strength than the Rifleman which it replaces and having a penalty against attacking cities. However, whenever an Opolcheniye is trained or upgraded to, an additional copy is produced on the same tile. The Opolcheniye also gains an additional 15% Combat Strength when in friendly territory, making it an excellent unit at being mass-produced for defense.

Guberniya's Office: The Guberniya's Office is the unique replacement for the Constable for Nicholas II. In addition to the regular bonuses of a Constable, the Guberniya's Office increases the Production of your Capital when connected via Domestic Trade Route. In addition, whenever a city with a Guberniya's Office is connected by rail to the Capital, the Growth rate of that city increases.

Credits:

Janboruta - Artwork (Nicholas II (including Leaderscene), Maps, Unit Icons, Unit Flag Icons)
Whoward - RouteConnections.lua
bernie14 - Graphics (Opolcheniye)
Peace Theme - Andreas Waldetoft Russia 1917
War Theme - James Hannigan Karasov's Legacy

Starting my first game as Norway. Curious what your favorites are of these. I am also excited to play as the Franks and with New Napoleon.

My favourites? I just posted an update to my favourite :) Otherwise, I'd say Armenia, the Holy Roman Empire and the Franks from a thematic + functional perspective. The Papal States and Bourbon France otherwise.

Fantastic! My personal favorite is the Papal States for the flavor and Armenia for the colours.

Does Nicholas II's Russia replace Catherine's Russia, or are they both available for selection like Napoleon + Louis XIV?

They are both available. If you want to remove Catherine, have a look in the My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/MODS/JFD's The Empire of Russia/Civilisations.sql file for instructions.

JFD, does your Armenia have a dependency on Catherine's Russia? Since I'm playing now with *ALL* modded civs in the world enabled plus a ton of other modpacks, it took me days to single out what could be causing Armenia to disappear from the civ select list. Just now I managed to disabled ONLY your USSR (Lenin) mod, wich replaces Cat, and thankfully Armenia was back visible, while all the other modded civs and modpacks were on and functional. If that's indeed the case, can you make Lenin not replace Catherine (as Nicholas II don't)? That would be great in its on right, btw. Or, of course, make Armenia non-dependent on Russia? Thanks.

Sweet XD Thought Nicholas was a much better choice than Catherine so I'm a big fan this Russia mod. Great work as always.

Just played a game as Hungary, and thought I would give you some feedback!

This imgur album has a brief screenshot overview, which covers the main events: http://imgur.com/a/mZKFi#0

Things I felt were cool:
  • Getting faith by building defenses feels incredibly unique! I felt very safe, despite my piety opening putting me behind in the early game.
  • The Vegvar's effect is extremely tempting, and as a result there is suddenly this temptation in the late medieval era to transition to a holy warmachine! This dynamic creates new options, while still integrating with the UA which defines the early game; so I think that works really well.
  • The hussar is really strong, and upgrades from knights, which were the backbone of my medieval army as a result of beelining Chivalry for the UB. This is a nice little bit of synergy which I really appreciated.

Things that I should have done better if I had played these guys before:
  • Piety + a civ with all faith/military boni means that you have to play extra smart to keep up in tech. This means that you should probably choose beliefs for your religion which fill in the gaps, and take advantage of the fact you are building defensive anyway to grow in the early game.
  • If you are going to steamroll some other civ, don't bother converting their cities with missionaries when inquisitors will do the job later! Holy sites have so much more value for faith.
  • The autocracy diplo victory looks very attractive, but patronage doesnt help you warmonger the mid game. I imagine I would have had far more success with commerce's landsknechts - paid for by holy sites. Plus protectionism is tasty.

Having said all that, I'm sure other play styles are supported :)
I think you've done a really good job with this civ and wanted to say thanks!

One a side note: Since the UA works before you have founded a religion (works well, though it doesn't read as if it were intended), I feel as if Hungary in many ways dominates the Celts. Especially the UA, which is strictly dominated. The Celts' UB, while strong, doesn't feel like it compensates for the massive faith generation you can get with Hungary. As a result, could I suggest - rather than nerfing Hungary - modding an upgrade for the Celts' UA? Especially since your job on the Ottoman's one was so good!

Thank you, hokath. Your report is very helpful, and dissuades any doubts I had over Hungary.

No, it wasn't intended that the UA worked before you founded your religion. I do think that Hungary needs to have this limitation, however. I don't think it would be enough to buff the Celts to keep them on par with Hungary - I don't disagree that they probably need it, but it would set a precedent that I want to avoid; one that wouldn't accommodate other civs that are religion-focused but outclassed by Hungary without intent (my Papal States and Lithuania, for instance).

Now that I think about all the other religion focused civs, I think fixing the UA is the right decision.

If you found that feedback helpful then I'll do something similar when I get round to Armenia.

Lenin updated:

• Added new UA effects, UB and UU effects.
  • Added original peace and war themes.
  • Added Ethnic Units, Historical Religions and YnAEMP compatibility.
  • Added new leaderscene by Guys.
  • Added new UB icon by Janboruta.

Lenin - The Soviet Union (BNW) Download Subscribe

Spoiler :

The Soviet Union - Lenin
Proletarian Revolution: Workers may be stationed in friendly cities to boost Production, or, after choosing an ideology, expended for Tourism in enemy territory.

Levy: The Levy is the unique unit for the USSR, for Lenin. Unlike the Great War Infantry that it replaces, the Levy is considerably cheaper, though it is also slightly weaker. Levies may be upgraded to from Workers, and may make use of enemy roads.

Commissariat: The Commissariat is the Soviet replacement for the Constable, for Lenin. In addition to the regular effects of the Constable, the Commissariat increases the amount of Food carried over when a new Citizen is born based upon the amount of Production produced in the city (caps at 20%).

Credits:

JFD - Author
Janboruta - Artwork (Lenin, Levy, Commissariat, Soviet Map)
Guys - Leaderscene
danrell - Graphics (Levy)
Peace Theme - James Hannigan Pugachev by Night
War Theme - James Hannigan The National Anthem

Includes internal support for: Tomatekh's Historical Religions Mod, Ethnic Units, Gedemon's YnAEMP.

France will be updated shortly to fix the naming convention that I'd been using that seems to be the cause of a number of Steam problems. If you already have the mod running, it's of no real concern. I'll also clarify the UA text, but there won't be any other changes for now.

Top Bottom