AI in multiplayer games-any fix at all?

Different opinion of what a diplomacy system in a video game should be=bad player, clearly. In a perfect world, I'd like to exchange the popups for something similar to the system in the MP game in which a little icon appears when a deal has been proposed. I would, however, like to get the "I'm going to war with this person, would you like to get diplomacy points with me for going to war with them" and "would you like a chance to give me this gift and gain diplomacy points with me" and "here, have this intrigue which is a MAJOR FEATURE OF THE EXPANSION" back. Sorry if that makes me a 'bad player' because I'm not the 'boss' somehow for enjoying a feature of a video game. I may be in the majority, but when I play with my flatmates we like playing a game with the three of us and large numbers of AI rather than just us, or us and a bunch of internet randoms popping in and out of the game and trolling and crashing the game every five turns. We enjoy being able to play at much higher difficulties than we normally would (From King to co-opping at Deity, usually) and stand a chance. Sorry if my playstyle is offensive to you? I guess?

Anyhow. GMR: I may look into it, but does it require me to sit through a load screen eeevery single turn? Weighing my option it seems like that's more of a trade-off than the inconvenience of having to deal with the MP AI. I'll definitely look at that video, though. Seems promising.

Anyhow. GMR: I may look into it, but does it require me to sit through a load screen eeevery single turn? Weighing my option it seems like that's more of a trade-off than the inconvenience of having to deal with the MP AI. I'll definitely look at that video, though. Seems promising.

Yeah, it probably would be slower, but it's a nice casual way to play Civ multiplayer.And you can set the game speed to quick to make it go a little faster.

even coders usually care more about good and dedicated players, and as discribed - those dont need a mod which forces ai to contact you.

Are you a coder? Because you sure hold some dumb views about what they think.

Oh and just a heads up, mrscotty:I don't know if the AI is actually any better in GMR games.I'm in a GMR game that has some AIs and I'm not sure if the one AI that I've met actually opens negotiations with humans.Maybe I just haven't been in a position to see it happen, but I :dunno:

In GMR the AI does start negotiations. Seeing as it is a version of hotseat I would guess the same thing applies to normal hotseat games.
I have also noticed in GMR that if you set up the AI from the start they do play, and sometimes they're really good, however during skips and vacation modes they are a little sketchy.

In GMR the AI does start negotiations. Seeing as it is a version of hotseat I would guess the same thing applies to normal hotseat games.
I have also noticed in GMR that if you set up the AI from the start they do play, and sometimes they're really good, however during skips and vacation modes they are a little sketchy.

Yeah, in a GMR game I hosted, I think I set up two AI's from the beginning.But someone wasn't playing their turns and got kicked, so that made one more AI.And I think one player may not be playing because of a technical issue with Macs or something, making another AI.:rolleyes:

We've actually worked out a cool way of doing hotseat-with-two-computers using a handy bit of software one of my computer science friends uses to share logons with his tech support customers. Basically we enter into a joint logon and take turns, and that seems to fix all issues with the AI and a lot of the minor tweak mods we like work as well.

So issue resolved until Firaxis makes it work with simul turns. Thanks for the suggestions though.

No problem.Glad you found a way to make it work.

We've actually worked out a cool way of doing hotseat-with-two-computers using a handy bit of software one of my computer science friends uses to share logons with his tech support customers. Basically we enter into a joint logon and take turns, and that seems to fix all issues with the AI and a lot of the minor tweak mods we like work as well.

So issue resolved until Firaxis makes it work with simul turns. Thanks for the suggestions though.

That a great idea, I might try this with logmein...

I hope they address MP AI in BNW. I always loved to play Civ Games with one or two friends of mine. Just some nice little coop action against the AI. To be honest, it was the main reason I bought Civ5 in the first place. And now, 3 years later, it is still not fixed.

I tried to discuss that problem in the official forums as well as in a german civ fan forum. As it has shown, nearly nobody seems to care about MP AI. Sometimes I felt my friends and I were the only people in the world who played past Civs as a coop game. It was really frustrating to open threads about this problem. Threads that never were answered and if someone answered them he claimed MP AI works just fine. BNW is the last chance for Firaxis to fix it, but since no one cares I bet they never addresses this issue anyway.

I hope they address MP AI in BNW. I always loved to play Civ Games with one or two friends of mine. Just some nice little coop action against the AI. To be honest, it was the main reason I bought Civ5 in the first place. And now, 3 years later, it is still not fixed.

I tried to discuss that problem in the official forums as well as in a german civ fan forum. As it has shown, nearly nobody seems to care about MP AI. Sometimes I felt my friends and I were the only people in the world who played past Civs as a coop game. It was really frustrating to open threads about this problem. Threads that never were answered and if someone answered them he claimed MP AI works just fine. BNW is the last chance for Firaxis to fix it, but since no one cares I bet they never addresses this issue anyway.

I've been trying to argue for this since the release of Vanilla, but have basically given up as the attitude on the forums seems to generally be, MP is meant to be played with Human not AI slots. God forbid that some people actually enjoy playing mixed games with AI and Human players, you just get shot down on the forums so I gave up arguing for it.

If u d read the thread isntead just complaining u d see that everything works just fine:

So I ll give you some help

You want a window to contact ai? IT IS THERE - click ai --> contact --> profit
AINT THAT HARD - IS IT?

And if your mind is not able to suggest deals yourself - civ might just be the wrong game for you and you should stick to counterstrike

Now the sad thing mgiht be - ai is just as dumb in mp games as in sp games.

Fix: find humans

I would hope that they have actually done this in Brave New World:
Multiplayer

- Firaxis was able to have a full team work on the BNW multiplayer to fix bugs and create new modes
- New Observer mode
- Simultaneous Turn Mode
- Hybrid Turn Mode; Simultaneous turns until combat occurs then switches to normal turn based turns
- Pitboss will be included in BNW

From this thread

Play a game vs AI in LAN mode, please. You will notice it is not the same as in sp.

(Arguing about that is like fighting windmills.)

If u d read the thread isntead just complaining u d see that everything works just fine:

So I ll give you some help

You want a window to contact ai? IT IS THERE - click ai --> contact --> profit
AINT THAT HARD - IS IT?

And if your mind is not able to suggest deals yourself - civ might just be the wrong game for you and you should stick to counterstrike

Fix: find humans

Oh look, you're back to troll the thread, quoting yourself but still ignoring the legitimate counter-arguments to your quoted rant.

How does your suggestion address the fact that the intrigue system is basically disabled because the AI never contacts you? How about the fact that the AI radically changes what it accepts on a deal for deal basis every turn and there are plenty of times they will propose a deal that they'd reject the next turn if you made it? How does it address people who want to play MP with more immersion?

does any one know why in online multi-player games the game just gets stuck when the barbs move i have been playing civ now for a long time i have never had this problem of the game just stopping at the end of the [players turn and not moving on i normally have to save the game and then reload but when you have to do that ever turn ig gets to be painful i might as well ask my friends to play by email

Top Bottom