Multiplayer Ideas for 5 Players

Torfbold

Chieftain
Hello everybody

I seek some inspiration for a 'problem' that we are having in our group of Civ fanatics. We are usually 5 players who meet for a long evening and night of Civilization.

With five players it is quite difficult to find a good way to play. Normally we play together against some AI players. But as we keep getting better we needed to upgrade the AI players and the game takes too long now, also the amount of data very much slows down the system.

Do you have some inspiration for creative ways to play a multiplayer Civ with 5 players? We tried all against all but the whole informal diplomacy thing with everybody making plots against everybody was not really cool. We also tried that you sit in a circle and you have to play against your two neighbors. Also that was not very funny. Now we are thinking about 2 vs. 3 and maybe an AI for the team consisting of 2.

But I am sure that such a distinguished forum as this may have further inspiration for our 'problem'!

I personally thought that the Steam Power Campaign was very cool (you have to reach and defend 3 goals to win - kind of). But that does not exist for multiplayer, does it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

TB

Play Civ 4. There you can choose small map/high sea, and the game generates a perfect 5-player map. Wish the random mape generator did the same in Civ 5, instead it leaves an open starting spot, a gap that is unbalancing the map.

My best suggestion would be to find a 6th player so you can do 3v3 or 2v2v2. Adding in an AI for one of the teams really is no solution, as they do not coordinate with you in any way shape or form.

Players can pool gold, give each other excess luxuries as well as transfer ownership of units to facilitate upgrade chains that generate units with interesting assortments of unique promotions.

Basically players can contribute to an over-arching strategy while AI will do their own thing and not contribute anything meaningful. They will send their units off to die to no effect (or sit at home and do nothing) on a whim. They will not contribute to an offensive or aid in holding a defensive line around the city being pressured by your opponents.

Just don't do it, it will be a disappointing experience for you all.

Find the 6th player!

Why not just go 5 player Free-For-All ?

Sure, diplomacy can screw you over, but some people find that interesting.

Top Bottom