Duel Pitboss match?

Torodeboro

Chieftain
With the new patch upcoming, probably tonight or maybe it's already there, there will be a lot of changes due to multiplayer. One of these changes will be the introduction of a Pitboss system in which you can log in and log out from your multiplayer game like in GMR.

I have never before played multiplayer, but this option will be ideal for me, because I am mostly not able to play a session of more than three hours.

Somebody who wants to start a 1 vs 1 pitboss tonight and play a little nice game till the expansion?

I am a regular player and play at immortal on singleplayer.

Gracias

Yes Pitboss is a great idea, but unfortunately unlike the Civ4 Pitboss app, they did not make a stand alone app yet. They say they will make one if there is enough demand from feed back. This is really a fail, it means a player has to burn up their steam login to host a pitboss game for weeks possibly.....and who is going to want to do that??

CS

What do you mean by burning up your steam login? Staying loginned all the time or??

In order to do a proper Pitboss game the server should be always up. But with Civ5 they didn't release a stand-alone app for the server, you have to keep Civ5 running all the time. Of course while Civ5 is running you can't use Steam for anything else and your PC is considerably slower.

No one is going to host a game under these conditions, I don't know what kind of feedback they are expecting really.

So if I understand this correctly you have to let your computer or at least Steam running 24/7 while you are hosting a game?

Yes you have to leave your computer running with steam logged in and the game running 24/7 to host a pitboss game.

CS

So if I understand this correctly you have to let your computer or at least Steam running 24/7 while you are hosting a game?

Maybe if all players play their turn at the same time you only have to do this for 3-4 hours a day. But if all players are available to play at the same time then there is no real need for Pitboss anyway...

Boh Firaxis went full re-tard, I don't understand this company anymore.

This is why in Civ4 they made a Pitboss App which was essentially a stripped down version of the game without the games UI, you could run it and the game at the same time.

CS

I suspect that Steam is the problem with a stand alone App, as Steam wants all "games" to be run with a valid steam login, in their mind a Pitboss App could give hackers a back door to bypass the Steam security system. I"m sure Steam and Firaxis is trying to find a secure way to do Pitboss and not cause a security problem for Steam.

CS

This is why in Civ4 they made a Pitboss App which was essentially a stripped down version of the game without the games UI, you could run it and the game at the same time.

CS

Why you speak of it at past tense ? I still run it :)

I suspect that Steam is the problem with a stand alone App, as Steam wants all "games" to be run with a valid steam login, in their mind a Pitboss App could give hackers a back door to bypass the Steam security system. I"m sure Steam and Firaxis is trying to find a secure way to do Pitboss and not cause a security problem for Steam.

CS

Have you played any of Valve's (the company that runs Steam) games? Many of them are multiplayer online FPS games, and they have a separate app that can host a server, as well as the ability to host a server in-game. Those separate apps are run through your Steam account, but are "tools" not "games", so you can run them at the same time as a game.

So I am sure there is some sort of confusion between Steam and Firaxis, and they will hopefully figure out and fix the issue, because Steam is not the problem. Or at least it has a solution to the problem, if it is currently causing the problem.

at the moment pitboss looks like this:
UI info

Configuration windows:

Critical issue to fix:
1) there is no pause (or I can't find it). Pause is necessary because pitboss games take weeks and sometime you have to make break for holiday or sth.
2) there is no possibility to substitute player for one or two days
3) there is no slots password protection. I think that they use some STEAM protection but is is not a good idea for pitboss
4) and the most critical, during restart you have to restart game with all players logged in. Host should be able to start game without any player.
5) there is no www notification and status info available.

In my opinion at the moment is not playable for classic epic pitboss game and it is not a pitboss as it was in civ4. It is standard steam civ5 mp game with added email notification. Nothing more . They have named it a pitboss only for marketing reasons.

Top Bottom