Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, let me work. I'm going out now. I'll leave the PC with a macro program. When I'm back (after midnight +1GMT) I'll see if the experiment was succesful or not.
I will release the 2.6 with Israel and America in, and an alternative version with Sumeria instead of Israel. You can remove America very easily.
For now, I have enough work!

America has done more to color history in the past 50 years than any nation on the planet. Also we are not "English"really though we remain excellent friends. WE also did fight a war against the British in 1812, after independence. I would see a modern civ game with no USA and with, say, the Incas or Aztecs, as pretty outrageous. The native American civs do have their chance, as they had historically, to stop the American growth westward...admittedly the result will probably match history as well, unless , playing the native civs, you make better choices, but isn't that what the idea is anyhow? I could not imagine playing the US as say the English though, as it was not only the English who settled and colored "America"..Spanish,French, and here even German influences weigh heavily. Lastly, all the basic rules of what defines a civilization fit America..overwhelming military power, scientific advances, culture..not sure of any "civ" related point we are missing except longevity, and that would change as your game moved into 2050 lol, as that would begin matching the record of many of the past civs high water marks at nearly 300 years.

America deserves to be in the mod. Period. I can understand why people could want to play without it, but that can be done with current versions. Just select all civs but America to play as your rivals. Yes, that means it takes maybe 30 seconds extra to set up the game, and yes, it means there are only 30 civs in as opposed to 31. But it's far better than removing America from the mod entirely.

If America is gone completely, the people who want it in won't be able to play with it at all. That is far, far, worse than the current situation.

tacfun said:
I have another point that I forgot to say. America is only a little over 200 years old. They are such a new Civ they don't deserve to be added to the game time-line.

tacfun

PS... Also to those who play America do as I do and pick a European Civ and Colonize North America and then you have America as well..lol!

How about the losers that don't exist anymore not be added to the timeline. Survival of the fittest I say :nuke: . On a lighter note, I enjoy playing any civ that currently exist, playing some anceint lost civilization doesn't have the same appeal as playing the ones that are alive and well today. I have played and enjoyed them all, but for the sake of roleplaying it's a more believable experience for ME to play an active civilization.

Remove america? Then remove all the Modern techs, as we would be using things completely different. Going back in time and altering the past would turn this into a fantasy mod. Why assume that nukes, modern armor, stock exchange, rubber, seti, computers, planes etc. would have become a reality? The particapation of ALL our currently active governments in last 200 insignifacant (you might think) years have had an absolutely amazing impact on mankind.

And I'm not making some political statement for America. And I'm not saying that the inventions mentioned above are all from America. And I'm not condoning using Nuclear weapons, or any weapons of any kind on anyone. But to say in anyway that the last 200 years don't deserve to be in our timeline sounds somewhat absurd. And you can feel free to substitute the word America in my post with Russia, Germany, England, Spain, France etc.

I don't mind the addition of Isreal or Poland, I think that either would be great :) . Though I would rather see a civilization that isn't represented anymore be removed first. But this is where we are at today, and I just love blowing up digitized representations of our current governments! :mischief:

Oh and Rhye, get to work :crazyeye:

Some very good points. Im also working on a mod right now that uses a 140x140 world map and is about 5mb download so Rhye can I upload it to you for your webpage when done??

tacfun

lhc, you don't understand.
The grand scale in Civ3 is too grand to seperate England from the US, Australia, etc.
It's not like I think they're the same nation, it's just that having a 200-yr old civ start in 4000BC is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. As I said, on the grand scale of civ England and all its colonies (including those that got independance eventually) worked together in history. Remember, we're talking about a very very large scale. There hasn't been enough seperation between the US and England so far in history to warrant two seperate civs.
Please, just cool off from your patriotism and think about this.
Just because we happen to live in the US's golden age doesn't mean it's the most siginificant nation in history. World powers come and go.

tacfun said:
Some very good points. Im also working on a mod right now that uses a 140x140 world map and is about 5mb download so Rhye can I upload it to you for your webpage when done??

tacfun

tell me more....what is it about?
what map are using? I guess Kal-el's.
By the way, in case you don't know, I've nearly finished a 134x130 map of the world. I will use this to make the version for Vanilla, with only 16 civs

Cool..I'd like to see the 134x130 version. Yes my Version 1 is ready and is compressed to 5.6 MB for upload/download. I used your terrian pack and color pack and I used Kal-el's 140x140 world map. I have adjusted some rules..units,governments..ect. I did a little map altering and placed 31 Civs even America and placed Jerusalem under Hitties control for fun. It plays basically as Civ C3C under patch 1.22 but with some modified rules and for just an easy fun game. This is my version 1.0 so there will be alot of room for improvement, just did it for a different feel and for something to do.

tacfun

It is basically a smaller version of mine...same projection (robinson's)

Attachments

• shot.jpg
    shot.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 221
Hey uh, Rhye 1350 is damn good. its within 150 years of when it was actually discovered. Considering the 6000 year span, thats not bad.

Ya don't get to picky trying to make it exactly like history! Like remember we do have the USA in 4000BC lol!

tacfun

PS..Give us the dam update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... :)

See what all that talk about switching Sumeria for Israel did, Rhye? ;)
All the sudden all those civs that were offshoots of other civs are obsolete and to be replaced by something better! America? Bah, they're just England in disguise. And the Byzantines are Roman, so they aren't need either! And scrap Japan, they were founded by immigrants from the Korean peninsula. And Korea? No, that's just an offshoot of China. And scrap the Mongols, too, they're practically Chinese as well... (And I don't even want to think about what would happen to the Middle East if the same logic was applied to the Civs there.)

Of all these civ removals that have been tossed around, the only one that seems to hold any water is removing the Byzantines. While yes, it is true that when Rome fell, the Byzantines rose, and they held power in two different time periods, the period between where both Rome and Byzantium stood at once as seperate nations was so small I don't think it even counts as two Civ-turns. While in most other cases, the off-shoot nations warred to get away from their parent nation, the Byzantines didn't. To elaborate, I quote a webpage that says things better than I can:
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/MA/BYZ.HTM said:
It is not possible to effectually distinguish between the later empire in Rome and the Byzantine empire centered around Constantinople. For the Byzantines were the Roman Empire, not simply a continuation of it in the East. The capital city, Constantinople, had been founded as the capital of Rome by the Emperor Constantine, but a uniquely Greek or Byzantine character to the Roman Empire can be distinguished as early as Diocletian. When Rome was seized by Goths, this was a great blow to the Roman Empire, but it didn't effectively end it. Although Rome was under the control of foreigners who themselves claimed to be continuing the empire, the Byzantine empire continued as before, believing themselves to be the Roman Empire.
When you look at things by a gameplay perspective, the Byzantines would be the ideal civ to remove in order to add a much requested civilization - the Polish. With the Byzantines gone to the south and Poland to the north, the Austrians would expand further south, taking on a much more historical shape than usual, the Greek would expand further north as well, making their shape closer to that of the Macedonia that Alexander knew, and the Ottomans would gain access to the civilization defining region of Istanbul.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like it. I've wanted a Poland ever since you said there was going to be a new civ, and I feel that the removal of Byzantium would help this realism of this mod tremendously.

On a completely and utterly unrelated note, did anyone here ever play the Diplomacy: Blood and Iron map on Starcraft? God I loved that map... And I always found it funny how there was a bunker in the Ottoman's territory right where Jerusalem is.

I was a little bit skeptical of the Byzantines in C3C at first. But I've fallen in love with them as one of the funnest civs to play.

Just a little more on America:

Saying America is a 200 year old nation in a 6000 year game span is misleading. Civ3 is divided into 4 eras. America was around by the end of the second one; more than half the game. Sumer, on the other hand, was gone by 1600 BC, or roughly the mid-ancient age. America has them beat 2 and a half eras to one half.

I think the overall accuracy of America depends on who you play as. If you're Iroquois, Aztec, Maya, or Inca, they should be out, because it's more important to have that feel of the arrival of the first colonists. Also, you'd have to actually relate to an anachronistic civ. However, from a Eurasian perspective, it's just fine. You discover the Americas mid-game, when it's actually appropriate to have an American civ.

This is what I think... remove Byzantines and give its boat UU to Rome and its Capital City name to Rome and so when Rome is building eventually it will build Constintople and if they are invaded maybe the Capital will move there lol. Also no matter how I look at it we must REMOVE AMERICA! It just does feel right having America at 4000BC. Sumeria yes may have only lastest 1600BC but yet in the game maybe it will last longer this time. Israel=Byzantine America=Poland... I have decided..now Rhye get to work..lol...kidden!

tacfun :)

The problem I have with the idea of people considering America to be simply an extension of England is that America forcefully removed itself from England's rule. I find it fairly suspect to call America and England one and the same under the Civ perspective when England has no direct pull on America's government, and the two are most certainly separate.

Like Jaguar said, from a European/Asian/African perspective, having America in is not a problem at all. It's the Iroquois/Aztec/Mayan/Incan perspectives that make America a problem - and thus, if you decide to play one of the Native American civs, it would probably suit you best to manually remove America via the technique that Rhye and others have suggested.

The Byzantines, although being powerful and fun to play, are mildly redundant under Civ standards. That's why I believe that if anyone should be removed now, it's them.

On just a very light and funny note...
It is amusing that a unit which was invented by the Americans..the aegis cruiser (and overall the aegis combat system) is not the American UU..though it is a naval unit..irl there are no other nations with this system yet except those who we have sold the rights too..and tacfun..hope you don't use it ;) just kiddin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom