Blue Monkey's Bharata Varsha Bazaar

My thanks to everyone who has encouraged this project.

I've finally got my ever expanding list of bookmarks fairly organized. The Units post is newly revised and vastly expanded.

Expect other parts of the Bazaar to get the same treatment over the next few days. Key images will be added after the links are up. Any squeaky wheels out there?

Looks nice! I kinda ish my Greek scenario streched to India, now :p

I'll give the ancient Greek use of elephants a read later, too.

Also, the naga link is broken. It seems to go to http://site/

it went to Starwars.com a few hours ago :lol:
the indian attire through the ages is bust too.. it says problem loading page, server not found

the indian attire through the ages is bust too.. it says problem loading page, server not found
That is a complex site that is transiting from a .com to a .org. Even the links within their new site are flaky and end up with those errors. I'm going to remove that one temporarily; I hope it gets straightened out, because the site is a virtual encyclopedia of Indian culture.

Mauryan Cities
Pataliputra :king: (capital)
Rampurya
Nandagath
Barabar
Sahasram
Bodh Gaya
Sarnath
Rupnath
Sanchi
Ujjayini
Bairat
Toprah
Mirath
Niglivah
Rummindei
Kalsi
Taksasila
Shanbargarhi
Laghma
Mansehra
Girnai
Sopara
Govimath
Palkigunda
Brahmagiri
Maski
Yerragudi
Siddhapura
Jatinga-Rameswar
Sopara
Barygaza
Broach
Kalinga
Tamralipti
Varanasi
Ajanta
Ulain
Gata
Ayodhya

Chola Cities
(to flesh out the list, cities from other Tamil regions of southern India are included)

Uraiyur :king: (oldest capital)
Muziris
Tamraparm
Arikameda
Kaveripattanam
Crancanore
Trangulbar
Paazhi
Vanci
Muciri
Thondi
Overy
Madurai
Mudirai
Thirchendoor
Thilai
Thagadoor
Kanchi
Pugaar
Hampi
Hangal
Uchchangi
Dharwar
Naalai
Poandhai
Koodalpattinam
Eyilpattinam
Pidavoor
Sirukudi
Kaanappaereyil
Azhunthur
Moagar
Vallaar
Aali
Cellur
Eernthur
Poompuhar
Pazhaiyaarai
Thanjavur
Gangaikonda
Cholapuram

Indic-influenced cities in Indonesia & the Malay Peninsula
Samudradvipa (name of Sumatra)
Javadvipa (name of Java)
Varunadvipa (name of Borneo)
Kaserumat (name of Malayan Peninsula)
Nakravaran
Lamuridesam
Srivilata
Madhura
Simhapura

Just realised that I never subscribed to this thread before - corrected now. :)

Should the Mauryan city list maybe include Bodh Gaya? Nice lists though, I always thought that Asoka would have made a better leader for the Indian faction in Civ rather than Ghandi.

From the Rise of Asia take 3 thread:
I haven't seen what map you're using, but from the civ list one suspects India is gonna be rather empty. Maybe slot down a minor kingdom or two to give the Palans and Cholans some opposition?
I don't know much about South Asian history so I'm needing some input on it.
Problem with South Asia is that in most periods there were at most two major powers - one in the north and one in the south. If you want relatively minor players (maybe they could be AI only):

In the south try the Cheras directly confronting the Cholas; for a mid-subcontinent group the Rashtrakutas would be an excellent choice.

In the northwest the Rajput culture (superb horse and even camel cavalry warriors (UU ?) from an arid/desert region) ruled as the Pratihara dynasty (aka the Gujarats).

What resources and finished goods were people on the subcontinent famous for or commonly exported during the Chola and Pala periods?

What resources and finished goods were people on the subcontinent famous for or commonly exported during the Chola and Pala periods?
Exports are pretty consistent throughout history (in random order):

• several kinds of spices
  • incenses such as sandalwood
  • hardwoods and decorative woods
  • medicinal herbs
  • tropical fruits
  • rice
  • hemp (rope, oils, medicine)
  • cloth (cotton and silk)
  • exotic animals (including birds)
  • gemstones
  • mobile works of art (jewelry, furniture, etc.)
  • religious and scientific texts
  • both elephants and ivory

The Cholas in particular were a major trade transhipment point for exports of all kinds between the Mediterranean cultures and SE Asia & China. The rulers of South Asia were always wealthy due to its exports. The many Roman Emperors, for example, were very concerned about potential bankruptcy of the Empire due to the imbalance of trade (gold to India in exchange for renewable resources such as spices and other plant products).

Blue, do you think you could develop city lists for some of OtM's other RoA civs(especially the Indian ones)? Thanks
Readily done; please post the names of the civs you want lists for here. By a peculiar coincidence I was looking at a map of ancient Bengal (Pala territory) earlier today.

One caution: Since those empires took and retook territory from each other, and the maps usually show "@ greatest extent" there will be some overlap between lists. I'll try to list the "core" areas first.

Top Bottom