The Royal House of W

General_W

Councilor & Merlot Noble
The Royal House of W

Welcome to the meeting hall for The Royal House of W.

As Lord-General of the House of W, I welcome all nobles of Merlot to my estate.

Of course, while all who are of noble blood are welcome here, any who wish to join my house shall receive special rights and privileges and honors – as befits any contributions you may make to add glory to the House of W, the Empire of Merlot, and his Majesty the King.

But of course, you must have some questions...

Lord GeneralW, what is this royal house for?
The House of W has been organized to provide loyal service to his majesty the king, advance the organization and structure of the nation of Merlot, provide a means for like-minded nobles to band together for increased influence, and to generally promote good governance of the Empire.​

Can you be more specific?
Sure. I intended to campaign vigorously for a well defined forum structure with appropriate stickied threads to make it easy for even lesser involved nobles to figure out what’s going on and be able to participate. This house will lobby the King (may he live forever) to post regular and informative turn updates so that all the nobles can be appraised of what’s going on in the Merlot Empire. If, perish the thought, the monarch gets too far out of line, the House of W will be a voice of reason to rally the nobles to restore order.
The House of W will also endeavor to bring together the creative talents of the nobility (even working with nobles from other houses) to produce a vibrant Merlot culture both internally – and to add flavor and color to our dealing with foreign teams. This may be realized, at least in part, by producing materials for the general UN forum.​

How will this royal house be run?
As Lord of the House of W, I have the final say here. However, I do plan to grant fancy sounding titles and make impressive looking coats of arms for loyal members of my house. As for actual authority… I’m not ruling that kind of thing out… we’ll just have to get to know each other first! See where it goes from there.
I like to think of myself as the benevolent dictator type – so I like to get lots of input and include people in the fun stuff.
In addition to the actual game and team-management stuff, I hope to have the House of W host several games and tournaments. These will be anything from internal PBEM Civ games to any kind of forum game that might be fun.​

Lord GeneralW, can I join your house?
Think you have what it takes, eh? We shall see! If you’d like to petition to join, just post your oath of fealty in this thread. If I choose to accept your oath, and welcome you into the House of W, I’ll formerly acknowledge you, and issue you your own Patents of nobility . From there, you are authorized to use the Great Seal of the Royal House of W. Based on your participation and contributions, you may be granted further titles and ranks (Knight, Duke, Bishop, etc) – and even your own customized coat of arms and makebelieve land holdings!​

Oath of fealty?
Sure! Something along the lines of “I will to the House of W be true and faithful. I will love all which it loves, and shun all which it shuns” – or some variation thereof would be good. :)

Can I be a member of your house and still be king?
Of course!! Such a thing would bring great honor and prestige to the House of W. You still don't get to boss me around in my own house though. ;) But outside of that - know that if you ascend to the throne from the House of W, you'll have a loyal ally at your disposal. The House of W is the faithful servant of the King, no matter where he comes from... but special consideration will be given to any of our own house, naturally.​

Lord GeneralW, isn't this a near treasonous power grab?
Ha! Nonsense. His Majesty has no more loyal servant than House W. The goals and motivations of this house are exclusively oriented around advancing the welfare of the Merlot Empire and an iron commitment to see every nation eventually swear fealty to the King. I'm confident, that when his Majesty chooses to reveal himself to us, he will be pleased with the contributions of the House of W.​

Current Nobles aligned to the House of W:
  • General_W
  • Zorag "Primoris Nobleus"
  • DPyro "Valiturus Nobleus"
  • Tboy "Castellum Nobleus"
  • Ronnie1 "Antiquus Comitis Nobleus"
  • hanl0r "Artifex Nobleus"

The estate of Lord GeneralW, seat of the House of W:

Your estate is beautiful sir, you're blatant grab at power while we are in a political vacuum is not! :). I for one will await our lord to announce our proper titles and land entitlements (if we are deemed worthy!) before I gallop off with my harem. As we are without a Monarch at the present, I must insist that you put down your political skills and welcome you to visit my noble establishment where the fine ladies of the house of VTEC will see to your every wish.

Lord GeneralW, isn't this a near treasonous power grab?
Ha! Nonsense. His Majesty has no more loyal servant than House W. The goals and motivations of this house are exclusively oriented around advancing the welfare of the Merlot Empire and an iron commitment to see every nation eventually swear fealty to the King. I'm confident, that when his Majesty chooses to reveal himself to us, he will be pleased with the contributions of the House of W.​

Can we leave the clique-ing up until after the game has started please? Technically it is indeed possible to try to form a "permanent club of 51%" whereby that club always choses its own single member to elect and thereby wins every election. But think about it -- what it promotes is effectively a smaller Team Merlot -- and then someone can do it again (the 51% of 51% club) and get an even smaller team, and participation can be driven to zero very quickly.

wow - I'm seriously shocked by the level of misunderstanding this thread has generated! :sad:

Maybe because most (all?) of you are new to Multi-team Democracy Games, it's contributing to the negative reactions. As a veteran of every MTDG so far, please let me offer my personal assurances that I wouldn't do anything to diminish team participation. To the contrary, If you ask around, I think you'll find that I have a well established reputation as a big booster of team participation. Enhancing team fun, and therefore participation, is the entire goal of this "royal house" idea. Every MTDG team I have participated in has dominated the other teams in terms of participation (at least according to thread post counts) - and I hope it's not arrogance to claim that I was at least a part of why that happened.

Hopefully as we move along you'll all see that this is true.

In the meantime, if you could please try to keep a check on your skepticism, and try to believe me when I say that I'm just as dedicated to Team Merlot as anyone else - I won't do anything to knowingly harm the team.

The House of W is not a clique, cabal, or secret society. Obviously this thread is open for anyone on the team to read (see: first post. All nobles are welcome) and the business about "I have the final say" is supposed to be obviously in good fun. Even if I could control the way people voice their opponions and who they supports as King (which I certainly cannot) - I wouldn't anyway.

So yeah - everyone please chill :) - this is just for fun! :D

Any sovereign would be lucky to have the council of the House of W. Patience, alot of good will come from this way.

wow - I'm seriously shocked by the level of misunderstanding this thread has generated! :sad:

Maybe because most (all?) of you are new to Multi-team Democracy Games, it's contributing to the negative reactions. As a veteran of every MTDG so far, please let me offer my personal assurances that I wouldn't do anything to diminish team participation. To the contrary, If you ask around, I think you'll find that I have a well established reputation as a big booster of team participation. Enhancing team fun, and therefore participation, is the entire goal of this "royal house" idea. Every MTDG team I have participated in has dominated the other teams in terms of participation (at least according to thread post counts) - and I hope it's not arrogance to claim that I was at least a part of why that happened.

Hopefully as we move along you'll all see that this is true.

In the meantime, if you could please try to keep a check on your skepticism, and try to believe me when I say that I'm just as dedicated to Team Merlot as anyone else - I won't do anything to knowingly harm the team.

The House of W is not a clique, cabal, or secret society. Obviously this thread is open for anyone on the team to read (see: first post. All nobles are welcome) and the business about "I have the final say" is supposed to be obviously in good fun. Even if I could control the way people voice their opponions and who they supports as King (which I certainly cannot) - I wouldn't anyway.

So yeah - everyone please chill :) - this is just for fun! :D

No worries man, at least from my standpoint I know it's all in good fun, and my response was purely a rp one :). I'm sure most of us will RP some of our own estates, etc.

Furthermore this kind of thread is exactly what we need to keep the game interesting long term.

I personally think some individuals here take things way to seriously. I'm just here for some fun and this idea sounds like an excellent one, very much appropriate with the theme of our team. I would advise other active members start their own houses.
As for me, I will to the House of W be true and faithful. I will love all which it loves, and shun all which it shuns.

Can we leave the clique-ing up until after the game has started please? Technically it is indeed possible to try to form a "permanent club of 51%" whereby that club always choses its own single member to elect and thereby wins every election. But think about it -- what it promotes is effectively a smaller Team Merlot -- and then someone can do it again (the 51% of 51% club) and get an even smaller team, and participation can be driven to zero very quickly.

But that is why our Administrator has illustriously chosen to make support for the King known only through secret messengers. As for me,

I will to the House of W be true and faithful. I will love all which it loves, and shun all which it shuns.

Long live the House of W! Long live Merlot! Long live the King! :king:

Allright! Now we're cooking :high5:

Welcome Zorag and Dpyro. I accept your pledges of fealty and welcome you into the House of W.

Sir Zorag, I bestow upon you the honorary title of "Primoris Nobleus" [first noble] and do grant you the right to use the seal of the House of W and all the privileges due your new station.
Welcome brother. :salute:

Sir DPyro, I bestow upon you the honorary title of "Valiturus Nobleus" [powerful noble] and do grant you the right to use the seal of the House of W and all the privileges due your new station.

Now that we have a king - and I have a little bit of free time - I'll shortly be presenting my ideas to advance the organization of our team forum. If either of my new affiliated Nobles have any ideas - please PM them to me or post them here! (of course, anyone else is welcome to post here also)
I hope to make my official and humble suggestion to His Majesty in the next 12 hours or so.

Also - a final bit of business - I have my first honor to bestow on a Nobel of the House of W....

:trophy2: Meritorious Loyalty is hereby awarded to DPyro, for being the first noble in all of Merlot to pledge fealty to our glorious King in his royal court thread!
Nice work, Dpyro! :thumbsup:

Organization Proposal:

Mission & Philosophy: The fundamental goal and guiding philosophy for my proposal is that #1) All members should be able to quickly and easily access all the key information for the game (without having to log onto to the pitboss server) to be able to know what’s going on and offer informed input to the glorious Monarch. Also, #2) the information should be presented in such a way that new members can quickly orient themselves to what’s going on and how team Merlot operates.

With that in mind, I propose the following threads be created & maintained by edict of the King.

The Gatehouse: Welcome to Team Merlot! *sticky
This thread will house key information about our team, how we operate, how they can get involved, etc. It should be sticked so that new members can find it quickly – since most people will rarely post in this thread. If the King approves this organizational model, I’ll PM a moderator and have the current “merlot lounge” thread renamed, and I’ll edit the first post so that it can takeover this function.​

The Great Hall: Played Turns
This thread will be for the King, may he live forever, (or his appointed agent) to post in only. Here the king can post information about each turn that he plays, informing his loyal nobles of what he’s doing and how he’s managing the Empire. No one but the king will be allowed to post here. Since this thread will be updated continually, it doesn’t need to be stickied.​

The King’s Chamber: Pre-Turn Discussion
This thread will be for all nobles to post comments and suggestions for our glorious King, to aid him in playing the turn. This thread is just for short-range comments about anything taking place in the immediate future. Discussion is encouraged to focus on just the next 5 turns or less. Any official ministers or advisers the King may appoint can use this thread to make sure the King sees their comments. It is humbly suggested that the King make a habit of checking at least this thread before playing the turn.​

The West Tower: Domestic Planning
This thread will be for all nobles to post long range planning and ideas for the domestic development of the empire. Planning city locations, technology research strategy, wonder of the world goals, religion, civics, tile resource development, etc. All items related to cities, settlers, workers, and the economy. This is where we can use our collective wisdom to help the King, may he live forever, consider and choose the best strategies.​

The East Tower: Military Planning
This thread will be hub for the military operations of the empire. Figuring out what kind of defensive forces we need, where exploring units should go, and creation and composition of armies, etc. Anything that has to do with military units.​

The Stables: Diplomacy HQ
This thread will be the hub for all diplomatic endeavors. If an ally becomes so important or such a large topic of conversation that it merits its own thread, our Glorious King can and should authorize a spate “embassy” thread for focused discussion on a specific team. But in my experience, it’ll generally be better to keep things in one place, so that the inter-related stuff doesn’t get lost.​

The Anteroom: Imperial Advisors Only
Our current King has proposed a system of advisors to aid him in running the empire of Merlot. I propose this thread as an exclusive forum for those that the King has tapped to be his inner-circle. Posting in this thread will be restricted to those who have been appointed by the reigning monarch. This has the benefit of keeping conversation in the open where we can all read and learn (vs using PMs) – but also keeps the discussion from getting cluttered, so that the King can more easily get input directly from his inner circle. (I’m not sure if this will work under the model Indiansmoke has proposed – but I hope so! If not, of course, this thread can be eliminated.​

The Treasure Room: Saved for later use! *sticky
This thread will be our spot to store important items, documents, maps, etc – that we want to make sure we can easily find later. Did someone create an awesome dot-map for city locations? No need to hunt through the domestic thread trying to find it – we’ll store it safe and sound for easy viewing in the treasure room. We sign an important treaty with another team, and need to go back and see exactly what the conditions are for declaring war? No need to rely on your shoddy memory and risk an international incident! A quick trip the Treasure room will show you the full text of every treaty we’ve signed. Etc.​

Outside view of the castle I used for the floorplan :)

Lord General W, I am most impressed by the level of effort you have put into the design both of your castle and of the administration of the realm in the service of the king - long may he reign! I would therefore like to respectfully request that I may join your most distinguished order, so that my humble self might better serve his imperial majesty.

EDIT: The official oath: I will to the House of W be true and faithful. I will love all which it loves, and shun all which it shuns

Long live Lord General W! Long live the King!

Glad to see you again GenW! I hereby submit my request to join the house of W, and kneel in your presence. May the Kingdom of Merlot have a long and prosperous reign!~

Finally getting some time to check back in with the kingdom!
And more friends for the House of W! :band:

Welcome Tboy and Ronnie1. I accept your pledges of fealty and welcome you into the House of W.

On a personal note, it's a real thrill to be in another game with Ronnie1! Double welcome to you, my old friend!! this should be fun :D

Sir Tboy, I bestow upon you the honorary title of "Castellum Nobleus" [castle noble] and do grant you the right to use the seal of the House of W and all the privileges due your new station.

Sir Ronnie1, I bestow upon you the honorary title of "Antiquus Comitis Nobleus" [old friend noble] and do grant you the right to use the seal of the House of W and all the privileges due your new station.

Well gentlemen and friend nobles, it looks like our royal house has helped to shape the organization of the empire. :beer: a toast to the wisdom of our King, may he live forever!

Now we just need this game to get started.... whoo hoo...

Updated diagram for the layout of the official Castle for Merlot.
Any comments from my fellow nobles?

Will be making a post with links and descriptions for all these rooms when I get some more time.

:salute:

You are so AWESOME GW!

Hear this Sir General_W and noble members of the Royal House of W:

On my honour I, hank0r, swear true Faith, Allegiance and Fealty
to God and the King and the glorious Royal House of W.
May the Royal House of W prosper and be honoured through my contribution
and may I be bound to its fate, be it triumph or decay!

Welcome hank0r! Sorry for the long delay in welcoming you into House W! :blush:

Sir hank0r, I bestow upon you the honorary title of "Artifex Nobleus" [artist noble] and do grant you the right to use the seal of the House of W and all the privileges due your new station.

Also - some very exciting news! I've been toying around with a new idea to add some flavor to this game... and, of course, I'm always trying to up the bar... set the standard high!

I've hit on the idea of producing a series of animated movies... kind of like Merlot: The Miniseries. :lol:

Here's my first test video. If His majesty thinks it's good enough, we could release it in the UN... and then we can work on new videos. (With the help of all the nobles - particularly nobles of the house of W).

I'll need help adding voices, if we don't want to stick with the computer generated sounding ones.

without further ado... here's my first video for your enjoyment!

Thoughts?

Top Bottom