Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I have a question, how can I be sure what type of Great Person I am going to get? If I want to get a Great General(not the kind you get from battles) how can I be sure I'll get him and not a Great Scientist? I know that you need a certain amount of culture points to get a great person and that what you receive is somehow based on a tech.

You can't. It's random. Some players believe they can influence what GP they get by researching an associated tech just before getting the GP. The list is here: http://www.civfanatics.com/civrev/great_people. But I've never seen a 100% reliable method of producing the GP of choice. The most reliable ones I've seen are play as France and research only Masonry before your first GP. It is often a builder. Play as England and research Iron Working just before your first GP. It is often a leader. Pick any civ that doesn't start with a tech and research only Bronze working in the early game. Your GP will almost always be an explorer.

But none of that is 100% reliable. It's possible to get a GP despite having no associated tech.

Just from casual observation, if you build a barracks in your capital before getting your first GP, then you often get a leader. I cannot prove that. I can say that even if there is an affect, it is increased likelihood, not 100%.

This is pushing it, but does anyone here ever discuss the DS version of Rev? I'd like tips and tricks for that, too.

For the most part, the game is the same (though it looks a little different). I know you can't sell units on the DS, which some people get annoyed by, and I don't think the DS ever got patched, so stuff like mega-city strategy still works (join a bunch of settlers to make a huge city). Most of the tips and tricks will work pretty much the same regardless of platform.

Alright, thanks. Also, is there anyone who still plays the Wi-Fi version (not expecting you to know because by the sounds of it you don't have the DS one)?

Quick DS question for you: Is there any way to see what unit is defending a city?

Thanks in advance!

Quick DS question for you: Is there any way to see what unit is defending a city?

Thanks in advance!
Hmm, have not played this in a while, but I think spies will do this, and maybe one of the promotions will do it as well? Civ Rev info center should have the definite answers, I would think.

dV

I dont think you can see what defender is in the city until you attack.
Oracle will tell you if it isnt going to go well/.

Hmm, have not played this in a while, but I think spies will do this, and maybe one of the promotions will do it as well? Civ Rev info center should have the definite answers, I would think.

dV

I dont think you can see what defender is in the city until you attack.
Oracle will tell you if it isnt going to go well/.

Scout promotion does this ... "Scout Unit can see its opponent in a city battle, and has increased sight range" from Units, Military, and Combat section of http://www.civfanatics.com/civrev/info

I now recall what I have done ... stack a scout promoted unit in the group, propose an attack with the scout to see the enemy, but don't attack with the scout. Use other units (with infiltration, for example) to actually make the attack.

You would think that the spy would be good for that too ... but I don't see a reference to it.

dV

Thanks for the replies, all! I have had success using Scout, so I'll keep that up. :)

One more and then I'll leave you to your own devices: Is there a spreadsheet or list that shows all of the attack/defense/movement values for the various units? I used to live and die by that in Civ4 and I need my fix. Thanks again, of course!

Dave

in the past weeks news of CivRev2 have been rising. as Great General of the CivRev2 Revolutionary Army its my duty to ask can we expect a CivRev2

I was attacked in 3100 BC by an american horseman army. My question is; is this possible without modding? I've run multiple scenarios over in my mind and can't come up with a realistic one. Army was 4 squares from Washington when it attacked me.

I'm on PS3. How does one see the leader boards for the GOTW? I also notice that I can't save the game in GOTW. Is that normal?

I was attacked in 3100 BC by an american horseman army. My question is; is this possible without modding? I've run multiple scenarios over in my mind and can't come up with a realistic one. Army was 4 squares from Washington when it attacked me.
He could've had some luck and received one or two horsemen from nearby goodyhuts. Also the AI can sometimes spawn units in fog of war, perhaps that had something to do with it.
I'm on PS3. How does one see the leader boards for the GOTW? I also notice that I can't save the game in GOTW. Is that normal?
Not sure about the leader boards but you can't save the game in GOTW.

I assume you're talking about a multiplayer game? If the AI is getting a horse army that fast, then...well...I don't know. I'd be amazed.

Experienced players can do it and America is one of the civs that they use. It doesn't take a whole lot of skill. There are just a few tricks. One of them is that you settled Washington and put your workers on trees (pick Stonehenge or something for production because you don't want a warrior). Now walk your great person around. If you see a friendly village, set your research to horseback riding and walk your great person in. Often the friendly village will give you horseback, saving you 5 turns to research it. Now set your production to a horseman. Even if you don't get any gold, you can have your first horseman out by 3500 BC. Pick up gold and it's faster and of course this is a snowball effect where the more gold you grab, the more horsemen you can get. I don't play America much because they are boring and overpowered, but I have had a vet horseman army by 3600 BC before.

The other strong America openings are if you get a great explorer, you can use him immediately to send out a warrior in 4000 BC and obviously this puts you way ahead of the game, especially since you can send another warrior in the other direction in 3900 BC. If you start with a great builder, there's a trick where you set production to a galley, use the great builder. Now it will say you can rush the galley for 0 gold. Instead of doing that (unless you want a galley), switch production to warriors and now use the rush for 0 gold. Voila! Three warriors in 4000 BC.

The point is, what you've experienced is very possible without cheating. Aztecs can do it as well. Any civ can really with a good amount of luck, but America is the best at the super fast horse army. Also, there are no mods for CivRev.

Like snerk said, you can't save. I'm on xbox but the way to view the GotW leaderboards for me is off the options menu, leaderboards, Game of the Week. I assume it's something similar for you.

Hi. This is my first post here. I was wondering if it is possible to get my hands on the game's soundtrack. The main menu music may be my favorite video game music of all time, yet I can not find it at all on the internet. Does it have its own name or something? I really want that song so I can just play it while I'm exercising or doing paperwork. That song alone could motivate me to do the stuff for hours. :lol:

Please help. :(

Top Bottom