Guide to installing Civ V on Macs

In case anyone needs more data, I'm running on my Mac Mini that I bought about six months ago. Windows 7 via bootcamp. DX10/11. Plays slow with graphics on all high, but still playable. I have everything set to medium and I've found that it's just fine. Clouds, shadows, pretty water, etc.

Now, the game still seems slow loading and in between turns, plus Civ5 just plays slower than 4 (my opinion so far).

Other than than, it works acceptably.

Anyone had any luck with MacBookPro. Mine's 3 years old (which Windows users will laugh at, but Macs have a longer working life) -
Running 10.5.8, 2.4GHz Duo, 2GB RAM and - I think this is the killer - Nvidia 8600M GT.
Crossover/Steam and the demo version - game seems to start okay, but text is corrupted and illegible on all screens. I'd like to try running in windowed mode to see if it helps, but can't read any of the introductory screens to set that up.
Has anyone managed to get any joy out of kit like mine?

nb I note that the current 15/17" Macbook Pros have graphics that come in only just above minimum tech requirements - and the 13" versions may be borderline. Anyone with good or bad news on this?

Just to let folks know, I had no luck using the Steam (PC) port that was posted earlier.

I'm running a recent MBP.

The game would load ok but when presented with the game itself the normal terrain view was totally grey instead of showing the 3d gfx.

I decided to try Wine 1.3.3 (dev version) installed using Mac ports. Google for info on installing it yourself...

The game is only working at 1024x768 and on the lowest gfx settings at the moment.

CPU usage is through the roof in this config. think I might try Parallels/Win7 soon instead...

edit: I'll post a question in necessary after I do more research ;)

EDIT EDIT:
Some 27" iMacs from late fall 2009 have a known black screen issue that arises during installation of Windows via BootCamp. I had this problem, and I thought there was something wrong with my retail copy of windows. There is a fix that Apple has worked out - you'll need an empty flash drive. It worked flawlessly for me.

Here's the article on Apple's support site:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

Currently running Civ 5 on dx11 in windows 7 through boot camp. 27" iMac, ATI Radeon HD 4760 graphics card, 4 gigs of ram, 3.0 gHz processor.

Game runs smoothly on high graphics settings, but I'm only about 30 turns in so far.

DarinDC: I have your hardware setup w/ 12gigs of ram. I have tried to play the game in Parallels, but can only select DirectX9, and the view is pretty crappy.

Are you saying that using Bootcamp and Windows 7, you can play the game using DirectX 11?

If so, at what resolution and how much of the graphics options are turned up?

Yes, I'm using Bootcamp 3.1 and Windows 7 64bit version. The game defaults to the optimum resolution of 2560*1440. Just finished my first full game and no issues. Graphics are beautiful.

Ok, I got some questions...and noob ones...
What is Direct X 11? I have a Macintosh OS X and can you check it? If so, how?

Also, I got my Civilization 5 game from the Applestore, and works good in Medium and low settings with lag sometimes as well. I was wondering how do you make a Mac handle higher settings with NO lag whatsoever? Some videos in YouTube I saw was high graphics on "Huge" maps with NO lag, and extremely fast switching between units (Unlike my Mac, I was playing medium and low video settings, Standard map size, and I STILL get lag...)

And is it necessary to install bootcamp for my Mac in order to run much higher settings?

Yes, you need to install bootcamp to run much higher settings, for now, what Mac do you have?

Ok, I got some questions...and noob ones...
What is Direct X 11? I have a Macintosh OS X and can you check it? If so, how?

Also, I got my Civilization 5 game from the Applestore, and works good in Medium and low settings with lag sometimes as well. I was wondering how do you make a Mac handle higher settings with NO lag whatsoever? Some videos in YouTube I saw was high graphics on "Huge" maps with NO lag, and extremely fast switching between units (Unlike my Mac, I was playing medium and low video settings, Standard map size, and I STILL get lag...)

And is it necessary to install bootcamp for my Mac in order to run much higher settings?

DirectX 11 is a type of API that allows newer graphics. DirectX doesn't run on OS X.

For higher settings run in boot camp

Those people are playing on Windows.

Yes you need to do boot camp to get it to run much better

boot camp is basically putting Windows on your Mac

I'm new to Macs. I have the newest MacBook Air, bought CivV from the Apple store and have played a few times totaling 3-4 hours - just about done with the tutorials.

It's taking longer because I can't figure out how to save a game, so I have to start the tutorial section I am on over again.

My display resolution is defaulted at 1440x900, but I have also reset it to 1024x768 before starting the game and I don't see any menu items I missed before.

Control-s doesn't seem to do anything, nor do F11 or function-F11. When I restart the game later I'm not given any choice of continuing a saved game.

How can I save a game? What a stupid question, but I can't figure it out.

Top right hand-corner of the screen you will see the word "MENU". Click on that. That will bring you to the save/exit screen. Click Save. Now when you exit it will ask if you are sure and that your game won't be saved. It was saved, but that dialogue box still says it. If you are saving and then planning on continue playing, you hit save, then "return to game." I usually save every 5 turns or so in later eras. Sometimes every two turns.

Top Bottom