The City States of Greece

OOC: I now wish to kill the server. I had a nice long speech typed up and ready. When I hit post... you get the idea. And then my internet cut off and I couldn't retrieve it. So I rewrote this and hoped I didnt forget the major points. [pissed]

IC:
Public Speech
(Ainos Tambien Fotismenos)

People of Athens, Agamemnon Jehoshua Megakyrios has recently attacked me for being a coward because . In reality, all I want is to fix a problem that, if left unresolved, will plauge Athens forevermore. When this problem is resolved, then and only then will I will consider Agamemnon's challenge.

Let me clear something up right now. I am not and never have been Prinkipas. One of Agamemnon's major arguments is that I have tried to appoint myself to that position without following the ruled outlined in the Syntagma. However, he seems to forget one major point. There are NO rules governing this in the Syntagma. If we do not fix this now, it will weaken Athens in the present and in the future. Let us imagine a world in which this problem is not fixed. In this world, every time a Prinkipas dies a period of disorganization, chaos, destruction, civil war, and ruin ensue until one faction manages to weaken the others far enough to take control. Is this a world you want your descendents to be born into? A future you want this glorious city, which you helped build, to endure?

Agamemnon also told you to "look upon this coward, who cannot even meet an older man who is past his prime in a duel out of cowardice." Is that so? If I am afraid of him, then why does he shrink from fixing this problem? Is it because it might stop civil wars before they begin? Because he worries that a lawful succesion process, if created, might stop him from trying to seize power in violence every time a Prinkipas dies? Am I really "a beggar prince pitifully grovelling before you," as Agamemnon stated, or is he a beggar noble, who grovels before you and asks you to sell your future? I do not ask you to lift me out of ANY position of "my own making," as Agamemnon said, for no such position exists.

If I am not selected for the position of Prinkipas, by the resolution decided upon, then I shall not attempt to overthrow or ortherwise impede whomever is rightfully selected. All I want is to solve this potentially deadly problem.

May Athens always prosper by the grace of Athena.

OOC: Once again, I dont hold it. Even my player stats reflect it. I have a civilian's income. And I actually have an OOC reason for wanting this. If we have to go through this everytime a character dies then not only will it slow the game, it will take some of the fun out of it too.

It's your own fault. You let the first player in the game basically rule your city, next time you should be more careful. You should have to fight it every time until one of you concedes.

Just to clear up any confusion, these squabbles wont slow the game. I haven't updated because I don't have time. More often then not the game will only get updated on the weekends.

EDIT: Ironically enough I have enough time today, update coming.

blah blah "Im too afraid to meet Agamemnon in mortal combat" blah blah

~ Ainos Fotismenos

*This message may be extensively paraphrased and editted by the Censors of House Megakyrios:p *

IC

Public Speech

Once again Ainos shows his unworthiness to rule. Firstly he decieves you in saying that if he accepts my challenge like a man that the problem will recur. This is false considering that in the Syntagma the Prinkipas has the power to decree changes to the articles contained therein. As such the victor of the duel could merely amend the Syntagma upon becoming ruler of Athens to ensure a method of succession in Athens for posterity, ensuring the stable transition of power to those to whom it belongs. As such all his frantic talk of potential civil wars, or a vicious cycle of violence should he accept the honest duel for the throne I have challenged him too is a simple lie. It is mere scaremongering to cover up his own craven cowardice, and his mortal un-greek fear of meeting me in a duel.

Furthermore on Ainos being Prinkipas, of course he is not prinkipas, indeed he has no legitimate position in government not being a member of the megalis or holding an advisory position under his father, all things which I posess. Thus indeed by his very proposals and attempts to produce a illusory facade of authority he is trying to decieve you into believing that he is equal to his father. He does this so that he can by deceptive "resolutions", which he like a beggar, asks you the people to provide, he can wriggle his way into the position of Prinkipas which he neither deserves, nor merits on a flimsy and ultimately false veneer of authority. The reality is he has neither stood in long service in the government as I have, and he does not have the right of succession via constitutional means according to the Syntagma, therefore any claim Ainos has to the throne is baseless, thus the need to create a false base by his scaremongering, and through vain and flimsy attempts to conjur up the illusion of authority in his statements.

Therefore considering that Ainos lacks any authority to even propose "resolutions". I once again call upon him to meet me like a man in trial by combat before the monument of Athena. Let the gods decide through their providence who is worthy of the throne. Or are you so weak, impious and pitiful that you even now cannot meet me on the field?

Glory to the Athenians!

:popcorn: RP :popcorn:

Around the campfire the common people feel the weight of the world more than ever. The nobles have ordained that no citizen of Greece will ever be able to settle new lands without the express permission of the prinkipas. To make matters worse, the nobles fight among themselves in a naked grab for power.

"Isn't the prinkipas commanded by god to serve the people?", one common woman asks.

"yeah" said another, "since prinkipas is supposed to be a position of servitude, perhaps a commoner should be elected each time the prinkipas dies".

The crowd around the campfire erupted in shouts and cheers for this motion.

"Ha, do you seriously think the nobles would ever share any power with common street scum like us?" a farm hand jeered. "They won't even let us settle the wilderness without charging us our very souls. You think they will hand us the key to the city?"

"Well" said another, "We commoners do greatly outnumber the nobles after all". A great deal of murmuring and agreement followed this statement.

"Perhaps we should expect nothing but misery in this sun burnt dusty kingdom", said a quite well known mother of eight. "Let us hear stories to take our minds off of our pathetic existence."

Aaronyssey Part IV: Battle at Lesbos

Spoiler :

It was the dead of the night when I awoke. Everyone was asleep including the night watch. The moon had set and no sign of dawn showed in the east. The stars in the heavens showed thru in patches of a somewhat overcast sky. It was very dark, and very quiet. The sail was completely limp, and yet the movement of water along the hull was perceptible. Also perceptible to me was the familiar sound of the Neriedes, who I could tell were surrounding the hull and obviously guiding the ship. This was obvious to no one else however, as not a man was stirring. In front of us I could not see, but I could feel the loom of the land. I could also feel the nearby presence of Calypso, and I found myself feeling strangely optimistic about the coming day.

Soon enough however, others began to stir. The Neriedes vanished just as stealthily as they had arrived, and the sail drew just the faintest breath of air. The great man with the beard awoke to find his crew asleep and all hell broke loose. The two crew members responsible for the night watch were reprimanded quite severely, beaten as well as berated before the slaves. The slaves fared no better, being whipped into activity as the first signs of a lightening could be seen in the east. The sail came down and the oars were ordered out. We were driven hard by men in charge, grunting the rhythmic “all praise be to Oceanus” phrase repeatedly through our labored breath. As the sky began to ignite into dawn, a faraway sound became audible over the oars; the sound of surf in shallow water.

As morning advanced the men in charge announced the sight of land and a protective reef. We were ordered to steer through a gap in the reef, towards a long narrow bay with a village at the very end of it. The moment of truth came and went as the galea shot through the gap in the crashing surf, and now the water was green and placid all around. The forested land rose up on either side, growing ever higher and closer, as the long bay lured us into its pincer shaped grasp. After so many days at open sea, the land felt like it would smother our boat as it loomed well above our rails.

Smoke could be seen in the village ahead and the men in charge set a course for a sandy beach on one side of it. The sun was now rising well into the sky. The turbaned and robed crew of our galea consisted of 19 men, and the slaves at the oars numbered nearly 100. Of the slaves, another 25 were chosen to join in the raid, presumably based on seniority or loyalty or perhaps fighting qualities. The raiding party carried all manner of wooden implements; some designed to bludgeon, and some to thrust. The sight of them brought back bad memories of the day in my village long ago. As the raiders gathered in the bow, the rest of us were flogged mercilessly as we were ordered to drive the craft upon the shore at the greatest possible speed.

The moment of truth arrived as the hull came into contact with the shoaling sand and we ground to a sudden halt. The raiders were away over the front of the craft, leaving behind the two members of the crew who fell asleep during their watch, and the rows of exhausted slaves. The last act we were ordered to perform required that a few of the slaves be freed from their shackles. Most of the oars were brought inboard, but a few were lifted nearly vertically and driven into the sand to stabilize the craft in the slack water. These oars were fastened in place with rope and effort, and the craft was thus stabilized for when the tide should fall. The slaves were returned to their shackles, and we had nothing more to do but wait.

From my seated position through my oar port I was now free to watch the men running in a clump towards the nearest huts in the village. Those of us on the village side relayed the action to those on the other side. The remaining crew members seemed not to care as they were wholly taken up with watching the raid as well. As the raiders were within fifty yards of the village warnings began to sound. The leading men reached the first hut and the first scream pierced the morning air. Now raiders were at other huts. There was yelling from a few defending men now, and screaming from the women mingled with the cries of children, all set against the exultant roaring of the raiders. Villagers were fleeing their huts now, running from the direction of the attack. A group of raiders had circled around the back of the village, thus preventing most from escaping into the forest behind. The far side of the village ended at a rather broad but slow moving river mouth. Presumably an excellent source of fresh water at most times, it now served as a mostly effective barrier of escape.

Now the attack was into its second phase. The women and children were being funneled towards the coast and no men were visible, save the raiders. Almost all of the raiders were working in harmony, selecting and grouping those women and girls of the best health and discussing how to bind them together. A few raiders however were busying themselves in one or another of the huts, raiding for objects of value or satisfying other needs as a few isolated screams and sobs testified. Last minute arguments were taking place as a few of the women were debated between the two groups, and some of the children were crying at being separated from their parents. The raiders dealt with most of this with rather harsh blows however, and it appeared as though a group of as many as fifty or more women and girls were being prepared to return to the ship.

Out of the corner of my vision I noticed a movement in the forest. Between the village and the boat there were figures crouching on the very edge where the thick growth met the beach. Were there twenty? No thirty. More? Suddenly a harsh cry erupted and as many as forty hunters emerged from the forest running in a perfect angling line towards the village. Unlike the villagers, these men were armed. There was something strange about the way they ran however. The raiders saw the hunters approaching and gathered their forces. A few of the rowers were tasked with corralling the new prisoners while the rest advanced towards the oncoming threat. The last of the raiders that had been looting the huts joined the line as the two forces approached. It looked as though it would be a very even battle, with almost identical numbers on either side.

The hunters repeated their harsh cry, and the raiders their yell as the two lines came together. Something about the hunters must have caught the raiders by surprise however, because several raiders pulled up in confusion at the moment of meeting. We couldn’t tell who was winning for a moment or two, but soon it became apparent that the hunters had some advantage. They were using what looked like what my village called doru (spears), but rather than just using them to thrust, they were slicing with them as well. In my village people used smaller versions primarily to catch the ichthys. These hunters had longer spears and seemed to be able to injure their opponents while remaining out of reach. Soon, the battle became a rout with several raiders down, several more dropping, and the rest running. Much to our amazement the hunters chose not to chase. Instead they threw their doru at the retreating raiders. Several of them struck a target, bringing a raider to the ground.

Now the prisoners were turning on their guards, as the few surviving raiders tried to rejoin the few guards. The hunters were taking their time, methodically stabbing each raider several times with the points of their staffs, sometimes retrieving a doru from the back of a dead body. Now the raiders realized their predicament. They were trapped between the river and the shore, the hunters between them and the boat. The raiders made a furious charge to break through the line of hunters but they were chopped down to size in very short order. Now on the ground in the village there were the bodies of the raiders strewn about. Most were still, though a few still crawled or moaned. These were stabbed one by one until the village was silent while the rest of the hunters saw to the women and children and inspected their huts. Only perhaps four or five hunters had gone down in the battle. Truly their long doru and the skill with which they wielded them were formidable.

At this point the two remaining crew members ordered us to shove the boat off of the shore. This was not an easy task and required a great deal of manpower. Unsticking the oars that were supporting the ship would take at least ten men on each side. Perhaps another twenty would need to get out and push from the beach. As the pair released more and more slaves they reached the rows with me and my uncle. They were no longer untying the ropes that bound us, but simply cutting them as quickly as they could. Now free, we tried in earnest to get the craft back afloat but the tide had dropped quite a bit. One of the crew was urging the men ashore to push with all their might, while the rest of us combined all of our strength on the oars to leverage the craft backwards, but to no avail.

A quick look to the village showed that the hunters were now gathered and moving toward us. The crewmen were whipping us furiously and some of the slaves turned on them. There was a great commotion that ended with the crewmen dead. The slaves ashore simply ran down the beach away from the village as the hunters were almost to the ship. Those of us on the ship simply stood around not knowing what to do. A few decided to jump down, while my uncle and I were using the crewmen’s knives to free the rest of the slaves. A look down showed that the men who had jumped were now floating in the water, face down with the water turning red all around them. I was working frantically now trying to free the last of the slaves on my side, my uncle was working the other side. The slaves were getting frightened now as some of the hunters appeared climbing over the bow. A few slaves tried to fend them off, but we were unarmed, and a flying doru from the ground went through one of the slaves eyes and out the back of his skull. We watched as he spun around on the spot and fell to the ground writhing in death agony. This was enough to cause the rest of the slaves to retreat to the back of the boat, and just as I was cutting the last slave free the hunters were coming over the bows two or three at a time.

I now saw what the confusion had been about on shore. These hunters were not men at all… They were women! Some tall, some strong, some lithe; all with paint on their faces, short cropped hair, nothing but a cloth around their loins; each armed with a long sharp spear; and very menacing. Once ten or so of them were aboard they began to advance down the central gangway towards the mass of frightened slaves at the back. A quick glance to my right showed that those slaves who ran away down the beach had been caught as they ran, impaled with the flying doru. The hunting party that had killed them were retrieving their staffs and heading for us. Meanwhile slaves were dropping off of the rowing platforms and gangways down into the bottom of the ship as the hunters advanced. Several were being wounded and killed before they fell, or as they fought to get further back. I was trapped near the very back but there was not a lot of time left. The hunters continued to advance. Now there was only one man in front of me, now none. Perhaps this was the end.

One of the hunters thrust at me with her doru. I moved to one side avoiding the thrust, but she slashed it sideways and to my surprise it cut me deeply in my ribs. There was some sort of sharpened shiny stone blade on the end of it that made it a cutting as well as a stabbing weapon. When the hunter thrust again, I dodged again and this time I grabbed the staff and pulled it toward me with all of my might. In doing so, I caught the hunter off balance. She had been reaching from a rowing platform, and as I pulled she missed her footing and fell below, leaving me with the weapon. I now faced the hunters on equal terms. Only five slaves were left at the back of the boat; two were dead, two were down and bleeding, and me. One of the men still alive was my uncle. The briefest glance below the deck showed three or four of the hunters stabbing their way through the writhing masses and turning up their noses at the awful stench.

Two of the hunters could advance side by side down the gangway, a few more could balance and thrust with their spears from the aftermost rowing planks. I stood alone on the rear platform fending off any who tried to advance. One of the hunters leapt from the rowing plank towards my platform. I stabbed at her as she leapt and put my doru through her abdomen. The tip stuck in her guts and I lost it as she fell. The two on the gangway immediately advanced as I tried some fancy maneuver to avoid their doru thrusts. One staff struck me somewhere in my arm, the other in my thigh. This is when I became possessed. I charged insanely at both of the hunters who had struck me, advancing as both of the doru penetrated right through my flesh and out the other side. There was a chaos of kicking scratching biting yelling and punching wherein I advanced like a maniac. The two hunters nearest me could not retrieve their staffs that had gone through my arm and my leg, and they in turn served as a shield for the last two hunters, who could hardly get at me with the points of their doru Somehow, I managed to force all of them backwards. Three of them fell as I rushed forward, and I was left with one of them who had slipped on some blood and was now returning to her feet. I pulled the doru that had gone through my arm the rest of the way through. My injured arm no longer had feeling and I could not control it, but my other arm was fine, and I waved the staff at my enemy in defiance. At this moment there was a sharp cry and all of the hunters below stopped what they were doing. Several more hunters had come over the bow, presumably those from the beach, and one of them was issuing a series of harsh orders in a language that I realized I understood. “Cease fighting”.

As the new hunters advanced down the gangway the leader told me to drop my weapon if I wanted to live, that the battle was over. I was growling like an animal and holding my bloody doru. Looking down I realized I was standing in a puddle of my own blood. My arm was streaming, two of my ribs were bared, and my leg was bleeding pretty badly as well. Looking back at the leader I fell back against the side of the boat, my strength suddenly waning. “Drop your weapon”, the hunter ordered. I dropped it and the hunters advanced. Immediately a hunter lifted me at each of my armpits, raising me up, and the leader pulled the staff the rest of the way through my thigh. Amazingly, it didn’t hurt at all. In fact nothing hurt right now. I watched as the leader wrapped a cloth around my leg and pulled it tight. Another cloth was pulled off of a dead slave and my arm was dressed in a similar fashion. I was then dragged to the front of the boat where I was obliged to jump to the beach below. This is where my injuries began to tell. Now neither my arm nor my leg would respond, and I could not conceive a way to get over the rail and somehow land on my feet. As it worked out I sort of tottered on the rail and just flopped over the side. I do not remember hitting the ground.

The previous three chapters of The Aaronyssey can be found here :coffee: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11254665&postcount=271

Sorry guys, I'm close to finishing, but I forgot about previous engagements. Tomorrow I will update for sure.

• Ainos Tambien Fotismenos was assassinated. Leadership of the house is passed to Homer Tambien Fotismenos
  • Elektra Megakyrios died of a mysterious sickness.
  • Athena Jehoshua Megakyrios died of a mysterious sickness.
  • Athantos Jehoshua Megakyrios died of a mysterious sickness.

The city was in turmoil. The noble, Ainos Tambien Fotismenos was found dead in his palace. Those at the scene suspect foul play, but no one is quite sure. Meanwhile, the wife and two children of Agamemnon Jehoshua Megakyrios died of a strange and sudden sickness. The people wondered if maybe the gods were punishing the Megakyrios for their supposed prophecies. In any case the disputed succession was resolved, with the Megakyrios being the only noble family left with a male head old enough to rule. All the deaths were certainly disheartening, and the populace has become somewhat unstable.

Spoiler :

We need to finish prerequisite technologies for resources within our borders. We should build a settler in Athens. The standard of living in Athens is low compared to other places, we should watch it doesn't fall into desparity.

We need to watch the Japanese. Ever since our meeting with the shogun, relations have been shaky. We should introduce our selves to the other nations. We should learn more about Hinduism, an organized religion can bring great benefits to our society.

The Japanese are currently our only threat, with the recent addition of a new warrior they have a larger military than we do. Before we even consider building another settler I suggest we think of expanding our military.

We should research technologies that will help us connect resources within our borders. We should use our advanced Archery Technology to our advantage before others discover our secrets.

Notes:
-From now on I'm going to include advisors. It will not be the whole picture, it will only be the titles, not sure what is going on with Photobucket.

ooc: mysterious sickness my arse, looks like that duel did occur in a certain form. So Dot... I presume I get the throne yes

ooc: Huzzah, now to decide whether to throw down the guantlet and get veangence on Tambien for dishonourably taking the dispute to my characters wife and kids.

Oh and Tambien: Thats a very nice Syntagma you have there, shame if something were to happen to it :p

-

IC:

Public Speech

People of Athens today we have witnessed sorrow, and the end result of a grave dishonour on the part of the Fotismenoi. Ainos Fotismenos' utter depravity has been shown through the deaths of two of my children and the death of my beloved wife. He proposed a peaceful resolution while behind the backs of hte people of Athens he send his poisoners, poison is the cowards weapon, to target innocent women and children who had nothing to do with the personal dispute that existed between myself and him. Yes people of Athens it was not the gods who slew my wife Elekra, and the innocent children Athena and Athanato, It was nothing other than those deceptive serpents of the House Fotismenos who spoke of peaceful resolutions while plotting murder behind closed doors. Fortunately Ainos has paid the price for his actions, and has been struck down as he dishonourably cowered in his palace refusing to fight an honest battle, and plotted the deaths of innocents. For the gods have surely answered my plea and smote him down for his cowardice and for his deceptions and evils. As such I give my thanks to Athena, namesake of my beloved daughter slain, and patron of Athens, and to Zeus the Lawgiver and bringer of Justice, for the evil one has paid with his life for his attacks on the innocent and that the gods have indeed interceded in favour of the just and prevented the accursed Ainos from taking power and casting Athens into ruin.

However, the depravity of his actions mars the entire House of Fotismenos with its sickly and abominable taint, and thus it is necessary that Athens is purified lest the corruption fester and anger the gods. As such I proclaim the dispossession of the Fotismenoi of all titles, assets, monetary holdings and lands and proclaim their banishment from Athens unto the wilds, never to return to Athens upon pain of death save a clemency granted to them once their iniquity is repaid. Consider this a mercy, for before the gods I will not stoop so low as Ainos Fotismenos in murdering children and women, even when it is a just price for the evil dealt to my house in their name.

But on other matters. The title of Prinkipas is now marred by association with the House Fotismenos, which despite my respect for Prota Fotismenos, is marked forever by the evils of the son. As such the title of the ruler of Athens shalt be renamed "Archon". Furthermore using the constitutional powers granted to the ruler of Athens I have decided that it is necessary, in light of recent events, to amend the Syntagma significantly as is my right, in order to rectify the errors and problems present in the original document.

Behold the Syntagma of the Athenians.

-

SYNTAGMA OF THE ATHENIANS

Spoiler :
Government Structure:

Are there divisions between powers (local, national governments)?
No

Are there separate branches?
No.

Is religion a part of government? If so, what do they do? What can the leader of the religion do?
Not currently

In-Game decisions

What to build in Athens
The Archon

What to research
The Archon in council with the Archons of any other Hellenic Poleis

What social policy to choose
The Archon in council with the Archons of any other Hellenic Poleis

How will the things mentioned above be decided?
Decree

Military

Who controls the units? Is there a general for each unit, for each group?
The Archon is supreme commander. The Archon retains the right to appoint a general to control a unit, or a group of units in times of crisis.

Who has the power to declare war? To order an attack?
The Archon

Diplomacy

Who has the power to make agreements with foreign leaders?
The Archon

Who will travel to other civilizations or receive foreign leaders?
A representative of Athens, or the Archon. If it is a multi-polis exercise a representative mutually agreeable to all archons will be sent

Policies

Who has the power to make domestic policies (which involve migration, crime, value promotion)?
The Archon

Who has the power to make foreign policies?
The Archon

Offices

What are all the possible positions in government? What power do they have (what do they do?)

The Archon: The Archon is the supreme Autocrat of the Athenian state and hold supreme executive and legislative power. Judicial power is shared with the Areopagus.

The Areopagus: The Areopagus is a council consisting of all resident nobles in the Polis of Athens. This council exists to advise the Archon and it serves as the jury in trials occurring in the city. Members of the Areopagus can be delegated specific duties at the Archons will in order to aid and serve him in the administration of the Polis. Such delegated duties include the duties of Strategos (general) or ministerial authority over a specific area.

What will be the salary of each position? Will they keep the current benefits? (land and city gold production)

The members of the Areopagus receive no salary for it is an honour to serve in the council and an aristocratic duty. The wealth of the Archon is that of the Polis itself and of his direct land holdings in the rural regions under the dominion of the city.

How will positions be chosen?

The Archon: The position of Archon is hereditary amongst the heirs of House Megakyrios by right of descent . Should an Archon die without a direct heir the position goes to his closest living male relative. Should no heir be found the accession of a new house and their claimant is to be determined in a trial by combat to the death amongst the nobles vying for the throne. The successor to the throne in this extreme situation shalt by Athenian law be the last man standing alive in this trial. Let it be known that accession by any other means is unlawful, and that the one who accedes by such illegal means is an usurper, and illegitimate bastard Archon and hated by the gods.

The Areopagus: Any noble resident in the city of Athens is eligible by right to sit on the Areopagus. The Archon also retains the right to ennoble a commoner and in such a situation the new noble by right also sits on the Areopagus. A family can be disenobled by the Archon for crimes against the State.

Land

How will land be distributed and administered?

All land in the Polis by right is owned by the Archon. The Archon however can at his pleasure grant plots of his land to tenants who then gain the proceeds of that land and all the benefits of ownership. However since the land belongs to the Archon he retains the right to return it to his direct control at his will or to transfer tenancy to another.

Taxes

Are there taxes? What are they and to who?
Taxes are determined by the archon and can change as he in his wisdom sees necessary. Unless a tax law is otherwise decreed there are no taxes.

(current tax: 10% security tax, funds the security forces in Athens.)

Law and Justice

Who has the power to make laws?
The Archon

Who has the power to reform laws?
The Archon

[/B]How are laws made?[/B]
The Archons decree

Who can punish criminals? How?
The Archon by his just judgement in any specific incident has the power to punish criminals. The guilt of criminals is determined by trial by jury with the jury being the Areopagus. The Archon at his pleasure may appoint a member of the Areopagus to serve as judge should he desire it to serve in his function as judge as he desires. Punishment is determined by the Archon or his delegated judge on a case by case basis.

Members of the Areopagus charged with crimes against the polis and who violate their duties are judged by the Archon as he pleases. The Areopagus in order to remain united and unsullied by such criminals is exempted by law from intervention and involvement in such cases.

The Archon reigns by the grace of the gods, is sacrosanct and immune from all prosecution. His judgements are final.

Who is in charge of enforcing the laws?

The Archon and the Areopagus in co-operation and fraternity as the aristocrats of Athens have a duty to defend and enforce the law by the laws of this fair polis by their public conduct. More generally due to the archons many other duties the cities security forces and the military under his command shall be responsible for enforcing order and sending criminals to the Areopagus for judgement.

Nobles, due to their aristocratic state have a special duty to follow the law and promote it as examples to the commons. The Archon by the gods is honour bound to punish most severely aristocrats who sully themselves with criminality.

-

Now onto what to do with the appropriated holdings of the former noble House of Fotismenos. I have decided to parcel their former lands to the people of athens, so that by their tenancy the people will prosper with the bountiful grain that the Fotismenoi took for their own. However in order to ensure that I have the drachmas to ensure security and peace in the years to come I bring into my direct governance the wine fields, and parcel out to the people the fishing rights of one of the sea tiles in my current governance. As to the Fotismenoi and their monetary assets, I appropriate all their monetary holdings to the office of Archon to use for the good of the state where the Fotismenoi sought only the deaths of innocents and their own advantage.

Finally. I will be reviewing the orders of Ainos Fotismenos with the aid of my advisors and will confirm or alter them shortly.

---

ooc:

:I order the appropriation of all of Tambiens monetary and land holdings, and dissenoble House Fotismenos.
:I banish all members of House Fotismenos from Athenian territory, under pain of death should they return to it, excepting some future clemency on my part.
:I amend the Syntagma of the Athenians as according to the above document and change the names of the leader and council to the Archon and the Areopagus respectively.
:I parcel out Tambiens former lands into the tenancy of the common people
:I parcel out gulf of Athens 1 to the people and bring into my direct control the Wine.

Roleplay-ish. Just feel like possibly putting some bad blood for future generations of people :)

With the information of Agmekskyieiyjseiyos's rise to power, the people were disheartened. Grief filled the streets of a small community, separate of the city of Athens but still apart of the Greek nation, and many of the people simply refused to accept it.

The parcel of the former land was not seen as generous, as it was simple bad land that the new ruler had no need for, and he took the best of the land for personal gain. Many people we're crying for a rebellion, and hoped someone would lead it. until then though, no one would have the guts to stand up and fight.

REVISED PLANS FOR ATHENS

-

What will we do about the Spanish?
Invite them to send a delegation to Athens

What will we do about the Egyptians?
send a message of acknowledgement and a desire for good relations in the future between the people of Athens and the Kingdom of Egypt.

What will we do about the Barbarians?
Ignore them for now

Techpath: mining > bronze working > calendar > animal husbandry > writing > the wheel > philosophy

Builds: > worker > archer/hoplite (if we have BW hoplite, if not build an archer) > settler > hoplite > Statue of Zeus (might change to Collossus depending on situation, keeping it as SoZ for now in consideration of Japans potential threat)

Social Policy: tradition > liberty > collective rule > citizenship

Worker upon completion: build a mine on the hill, farm the wheat, farm the second wheat, plantation on the wine (push forward as soon as we get calendar if possible)

Warrior orders move one south west of their current position onto the hill.

-

ooc: you know Dirk, considering it has no effect atm since your not in-game so to speak I dont really care, but still, such obviously partisan negativity only makes me more likely to frown upon your endeavours once you are actually in the game.

OOC: Dot hinted to people being unhappy, and I didn't actually start a rebellion, I just mirrored what he already said. And that was a random peasant, if you hate me for what a completely unrelated peasant said in a completely different area in a completely different time, then you're one crazy bastard!

ooc: I know it was RP, and related to the IC events. But it seemed a bit of an elaboration on the disquiet amongst the athenians, and potentially indicative of an ooc antagonism to me. Such a thing naturally would affect how I view you ooc in my calculations for IC actions. Still I digress, plenty of time to see what happens in regards to you ;)

OOC: Not necessarily, I am not infallible, and besides the structure of city-states means I wont have nearly the power I had in GaP which had a rather centralised system.

OOC: Judging by the fact that everyone wants to spoon feed you victory, you can't be too confident.

OCC: Now now, I am not being spoon fed victory, even tambien didn;t just roll over, he just made a number of massive political mistakes which namely included being overly autocratic and not discussing things with me as is a natural expectation in any agreement, and taking unilateral actions that were clearly contrary in my calculations to my interests. This led me to conclude that he was not keeping to the political concordat we made thus leading me to make the decision to swifly act to counter his ascendancy.

Furthermore, I note that as it stands I only barely won this little standoff, he managed to kill my wife and kids! Unfortunately a public clash was necessary politically imo despite the messiness of the whole thing. Anyway theres a lot more I could say in response to your points, but I would rather not make the thread an OOC debate board at the moment, so I shall finish with this.

Well like Jehoshua said, the structure of the game allows for a lot more freedom for players in different cities to do what they want. I'm an interested to see how the inter-city state relations will pan out; hopefully one person, or group of people, wont control all of them, but it's entirely possible.

Top Bottom