Let's Fix "Renderer Error" Once and For All

I had this error randomly happen to me for several weeks recently, but I've fixed it for now. I also had an issue with flickering red and blue pixel dots on the menu screen. I am using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M.

It started as the DXGI error, and I tried playing in windowed mode, rather than fullscreen as I've seen suggested, but that didn't fix it. Instead, It crashed and I got the kernel error instead. I investigated it which lead me to the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9xyjPM_bCQ

As stated in the video: open up NVIDIA Control Panel, go to Power management mode, and set it to "prefer maximum performance." Then set Vertical sync to "off."

Doing this has fixed the DXGI error, kernel error, and flickering. I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it fixed it for me.

Up until relatively recently, this game worked just fine. But over the past couple of months, my Civilizations have had a very short shelf life...that is, if I have to do anything away from the computer, the moment my screensaver kicks in my game crashes, about 50% of the time taking my whole computer with it. (very frustrating when I'm doing a work project as well!)

The game works just fine until the screensaver kicks in! I can play for hours and hours (and do) but as soon as I turn away or go to the washroom...bubye.

To say I love this game may be an understatement (the 3300++ game hours (that is close to a full year @10-hours a day) attest to this.) I have owned every Civ version that has ever existed, from 1 to 5 and even Alpha Centauri (colossal disappointment) and Beyond Earth. I don't know why this game is doing this now? I don't want to consign this game to the bottom of a drawer, but right now the game is unplayable because of this unless I stop my screensaver altogether. I can't have it keep crashing the comp and destroying any work done. (and yes, I am always doing more than one thing at a time?)

I have made sure that all drivers are completely up-to-date. I have stripped Civilization off the computer entirely and reinstalled it from Steam twice. (the second time I wiped out all my saved games and history (sob!), all my mods, everything. Then reinstalled the game from scratch. It continues to happen. My comp well exceeds the min specs. I even tried what was suggested above.

Any advice? Robyn Barrett

Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/20/2016, 12:08:41
       Machine name: BARRETTDSKTP
   Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.160119-0600)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/22/12 11:46:01 Ver: 04.06.05
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8140MB RAM
          Page File: 2446MB used, 6972MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

Hello, Civ Fanatics :)

There is a 10-page thread on this forum full of Civ5 players whose gaming experience is plagued with this infamous "Renderer Error" crash aka "FGXRenderer11::present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure."

More to come...[/QUOTE]

Hi All,
As a fellow gamer, and Civ fan, I thought I might share my experiences with the render issue. While non technical, I seem to have found a way to extend the time before the error kicks in. This was purely a random event and Civ V was working so well, I paid a little more attention. I duplicated my findings and it worked well a second and third time.

Basic System:
Win 10 - 64 bit
Civ V - Gods & Kings Expansion (played in DX11) (compatibility mode is used to run the exe)

Edits made so far after reading these forums:
a. changed auto saves to essentially never run ( i think it accepted save every 999 turns)
b. disabled the video card setting. (Apologies, I forget exactly which one and my nvidia control panel is not being user friendly atm)

Random Event
a. after a clean boot. (no other apps running.)
b. I use dual screens on the nvidia card.
c. i deliberately run VLC media player with a movie (could be anything. just mute it) on the second screen.
d. start civ V as normal on screen 1.

Results
The game would normally give me 5 - 15 min before giving me render issues on the screen which would crash the game and sometimes the PC.
Using the VLC player method, I can run the game for over an hour without issues. Including saving along the way. It is not a permanent workaround, as the issue will eventually return.
But at least I can enjoy the game for a bit.

Good luck
pabda.

tl;dr: I've been trying to fix the Renderer Error by myself by debugging the Civ5 application. I've found a common pattern across the crashes that I experience, and need other affected forum members' help to fix this.

Hello Aprel and everyone -

The fix for me is to go into GeForce Experience > Settings ("gear" icon) > General tab > IN-GAME OVERLAY (set to off).

This is late news, but hopefully good news nonetheless.

In case anyone has out of date GeForce Experience, the "IN-GAME OVERLAY" was previously referred to as "SHARE" and before this, it was called "SHADOWPLAY", so look for any of these names in the GeForce Experience settings and turn it off. This is also the culprit of various issues in several other games.

Before realizing this, I had tried all or most of the items on the usual list of solutions that other people have tried and suggested on various forums over the years.

I hope this helps!

Jealot

Hi

what seem to fix it for me was that my graphics card vram was getting too hot, so i used afterburner to change the temp limit from 84C to 71C and now its stopped crashing

Top Bottom