Civ V slow (unplayable) on Windows 10

flamand_quebec

Chieftain
Hi,

I just recently joined CivFanatic, but just to say that I have been enjoying everything that has been posted here as it has definitely helped me with progressing in Civilization V.

Now onto my issue. I used to play Civ V on my HP laptop for a long time but now got a new gaming rig that I was looking forward to play Civ V on. My system specs are:

- AMD Radeon R7 360 (GPU)
- AMD FX-6300 (CPU) 3,5 Ghz
- 8GB of RAM
- Windows 10 came with the gaming rig pre-installed.

I just have installed this system like only for a couple of days and haven't really installed a lot. Only anti virus I have is Windows Defender (which I believe should be enough as long as I don't download from anything weird -> I'll use my laptop for movie downloading) & Malwarebytes.

The issue that I have with the game is lagging or being really slow. For example, I start the game up and the intro movie doesn't really play, it just freezes. But when I click on the screen it will bring me eventually to the Main Menu. I can move my mouse around, no problem. However, if I want to choose for ex. Singleplayer and move my mouse to it and click it, it will take at least 4-6 seconds before it recognizes the action. Same thing when starting a game, it takes too long before I can actually make a move.

I have tried a lot of troubleshooting steps, so just to sum up what I have done so far:

1) Verify game files
2) Reinstall VC Redistr. (from in-game folder)
3) Reinstall DirectX (from in-game folder)
4) Removed "read-only" from the game's .exe file and the complete folder
5) Tried compatibility mode for Windows 7/8/8.1
6) Tried launching the game's .exe file as an administrator.
7) Put the game in Windowed mode and see if it causes for some reason stress on the CPU (only uses 2-25% at times, so I think it's OK)
8) Change the video resolution, disabled Vsync and so on in-game.

Nothing of the above changed anything or improved it. I will try perhaps to change the entire Steam folder and remove the "Read Only" as well as to try to launch Steam as administrator. Also my PC goes into sleep mode alot so Hibernation could be affecting it. I'm hoping others might be able to help me and provide some additional steps for me to try.

Thanks in advance for all those replying.

Moderator Action: You also posted in Bug Reports, but the best place for these posts is Tech Support. Thread moved.

The most likely culprit is the XBox App, particularly for those with AMD processors. Use power shell to disable it.

If it's been less than 30 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can rollback to Windows 7/8 and try Windows 10 again in say May or June after some more patches come out.

I have similar problem like flamand _quebec, so i would be grateful if you could you be more specific with the instruction. Exactly where to find xbox app and how to find and use power shell?
Thank you for your help in advance and sorry for noob request.;)

Just to report that my problem is solved..i deleted cache, recover and verify files in steam. I also update drivers for graphic card.
Obviously some or all of a/m acts did the change in my case. Perhaps just to know if this can help also in your case.

Top Bottom