Has this game been delayed till July 7th?

Doesn't make sense to me. Unless the UK started speaking a new language the game is already translated. Same for Australia although it might be because companies are gun shy since the AU seems to have a stricter censor then in Canada. I was just as mystified with BTS and Dead Rising, which came out a couple days later then in the US. :confused:

I wish we Europeans had a release date.

Well, we don't actually have a release date either, but I've heard rumours that it'll be late in June.

Same for Australia although it might be because companies are gun shy since the AU seems to have a stricter censor then in Canada.

We don't really have a strict censor, we just don't have a R18+ classification for video games. So if a game is too extreme for a MA15+ rating it's effectively banned.

If we want it before its released here, can't we just order it from a store in a European country?

nope...systems and games are region coded so that you can't import them unless you've got either an imported system(from that same market) or a modded system

Doesn't make sense to me. Unless the UK started speaking a new language the game is already translated. Same for Australia although it might be because companies are gun shy since the AU seems to have a stricter censor then in Canada. I was just as mystified with BTS and Dead Rising, which came out a couple days later then in the US. :confused:

not sure about dead rising, but BtS came out in the US after it came out in the UK and in AU. Also, UK sometimes doesn't get a unique version, but one that also has french and german so that the same version can be released across most of Europe at once, thus delaying UK releases sometimes.

Nope. Euro games only work on Euro consoles, besides, the color system they use is PAL and we (in the Americas) use NTSC.

PAL and NTSC aren't coloring systems...they are the region coding. NTSC is the name for the region coding for the Americas, while PAL is the region coding for Europe and Australia

Just to move the thread back to the orignal question but Amazon.co.uk and Play.com both have CivRev on the DS available for pre-order with a release date of 6th June.

Trouble is I'm sure I read that the DS version would be a month later than everythign else :crazyeye:

I've been buying PS3 games for a while now, and this has been a trend I've noticed with a few of them. It seems they prefer to release games in Europe first, because stuff's more expensive there. If they released it at the same time everywhere, people would simply order online from the US, to save money, thanks to weak Dollar vs Euro.

im sure it has nothing to do with the exchange rate, the post and packaging cost from ordering internationally would make it more expensive, not less.

im sure it has nothing to do with the exchange rate, the post and packaging cost from ordering internationally would make it more expensive, not less.

In Australia we pay double for games as the US. Taking shipping into account, it's still significantly cheaper. We get ripped off horribly here, and I'm not sure it's much better in Europe.

Yes i suppose it probably is a little cheaper to buy from abroad, but i think you'll find many people would still prefer to buy domestically for various reasons.

None of us know the reason fro teh delay in the US civ rev, but i can assure you that it has nothing to do with the exchange rate.

uk release date for 360 and ps3 is not june 13th so guess they wanted to move it back a week.

NTSC and PAL are coloring systems. It has nothing to do with region coding... that's a completely different thing, though the effects are the same on a TV.

Just to derail the conversation to clear things up...

From Wikipedia.org:

The standard [NTSC] called for 525 lines of picture information in each frame, and 30 frames per second; the frame rate was later slightly adjusted for the color standard ... NTSC was the first widely adopted broadcast color system. After over a half-century of use, over-the-air NTSC transmissions will be replaced with ATSC in the United States in 2009.

PAL has a similar description... :D

- John

NTSC and PAL are coloring systems. It has nothing to do with region coding... that's a completely different thing, though the effects are the same on a TV.

Not entirely correct. NTSC & PAL also have different resolutions, differently shaped pixels & different frame rates, so video needs to be formatted differently to appear the same on both platforms. You're right that it doesn't have anything to do with Region Coding, but NTSC/PAL do pretty much fall into the Region Coding schemes. Looks like my Telecommunications degree is starting to pay off! :lol:

Top Bottom