Thoughts on Demo?

I was very pleasantly surprised. I had plated CivII on PSone way back in the day and while it was playable, the controls were definately cumbersome. The controls on this are so streamlined and they seem to be very intuitive. Combat is easy enough to get ahold of and armies (especially with a general) are hella fun to use. My only complaint really is the short length of the demo and the fact that the US release was pushed back. Oh well, wouldn't have money to buy it right now anyways with MGS4 coming out soon.

Some pros and cons on the demo.

+ Fun. Very refreshing to play a civ game without any micromanaging.

+ Combat is IMO the best part of civ4, and combat works great in civ rev.

+ Good graphics and interface.

- I miss a mouse to controll things. Mass unit movement is somewhat tedious with the gamepad.

- Some parts a little boring. Im a quite tired of civ4, maybe civ rev is too similar.

- No religion (other than a tech), lame.

- No vassals, i like vassals.. :sad:

- No map selection. Where is the love for us terra map-fanatics!?

- No gamespeed options. Tech progress is way way way too fast. Might be good for MP-games but not for me.

Im not completely won over by the demo but ill definitely pick up a copy when its out. Is it the 13th in EU?

Kudos to the developers on this one, could have been very easy to get this whole thing wrong. There was a lot of worry that it was going to be too simplified - well I think the balance is spot on for console users. When I was younger I had time to devote to days of Civ play, now I don't - this console version looks like it is going to provide the strategy fix I need and not take all day to do it.

Well done developers. Retained the essence of civ perfectly.

This truly is Civ Evolution not Revolution.

okay, a couple of comments/questions really.

Firstly what is with the stupid advisors etc talking in "Simspeak" i mean jesus as long ago as civ2 the advisors spoke actual English so why deevolve to "Simspeak"or is that unique just for the demo?

Second and maybe this was just my 360, what is with the annoying pauses? albiet very brief ones , but enough not to go unnoticed none the less. I talking about when one gets an advisor or event coming up, really annoying.

Thirdly and i think this has been said, will there be a way to slow it the hell down? like most i am used to marothen speed, i dont expect that on the console version but it would be nice to have some basic options.

Lastly, in the full version will we be able to raise tax, science, cultral levels directly? maybe i missed it but the closest i could see was the city build screen.

Other that all this i quite liked it, my advise however is to view it as something new and stop comparing it to civ4. The presentation is pretty and easy on the eyes, and i for one would almost buy it to see the end of excesive units spawning. something civ4 never got a handle on. oh , is there map window like in all the the over civs? so u can navigate using that?

A few more pros and cons.
+ Massive Armies are much easier to produce
+ roads move the amries perefectly for the game speed
+ One time a surprise attack led me to lose an early city. Then i was able to enjoy the battle the ensued between the road connected cities.
+Naval fleets make for fun, and take away from early naval combat probelms like in civ 4
- Time goes by quickly for builders, Military might seems like a more efficient way to start off.
- Advisors are very annoying, however i find the barbarians and leaders great, they have better dilect.

Top Bottom