Question about European AI initial colony placement

Labrat19

Chieftain
I bought this game about a week and a half ago. Finished one game on vanilla on pilgrim and have downloaded the AoD2 mod/patch and am experimenting around with lots of different strategies. I am having lots of fun overall, and have enjoyed reading comments on this forum.

However, one topic I didn't see was about the "logic" of initial colony placement by the AI. More often than not, the European countries will plop down their initial colony as close as possible to another European colony (including sometimes me!!). I have seen ridiculous situations where there's a nice empty landmass and 4 european countries have their settlements bunched together in one place. It isn't even always where the best resources are. I usually play on standard maps but I've seen this on small and large too.

Even when they start out initially on the map equidistant from each other, there seems to be cases where they will travel quite a way up or down the coast (bypassing some pretty good spots) just to find another European settlement to be next to. It doesn't happen all the time but far too often.

Anyone else notice this? Why does this happen? I don't like to cheat/peak at the world builder but I don't like playing a game for a while only to find the other countries all bunched together in one place. So I look and then keep restarting until I get a more even spacing.

Is there some way to mod this, like making the AI choose to start their initial colony some minimum spacing away from another european civ?

I've seen the other few things that bug me adressed by others on this forum so I won't get into those. Still, overall, I do like the game (especially the AoD2 mod).

That's not a bug -- that's a feature.

Since they use their soldier to form the colony and the pioneer to improve the land, it's an opportunity to get a new colony cheap. Arm your soldier, wander over and take it.

And if they are all close to you, that means you can collect the whole set.

Since they use their soldier to form the colony and the pioneer to improve the land, it's an opportunity to get a new colony cheap. Arm your soldier, wander over and take it.

And if they are all close to you, that means you can collect the whole set.

That's not a feature -- that's an exploit. :lol::mwaha:

Since when bad AI is a feature?

Bad AI always helps the player win. So by your definition, every instanse of bad AI is a feature, and the coolset feature of all would be the AI's dibanding their ships on the first turn, allowing you to win.

Many games simply provide heaps of free resources instead of programming the AI. That's still bad AI but it doesn't make the game easier to win.

It does. In case of horrible AI compensated with huge bonuses, you only need to find the AI exploits which help you win. If there are no exploits for you to find, the AI wasn't that bad in the first place.

And my example of AI disbanding ships (and the REF disbanding itself on landing, for extra cool) still stands.

Top Bottom