Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

I really hope their success with a sim-city leads to a remake of sim-ant. I would LOVE a good sim-ant remake. Extra props if they hire a good entomologist to consult.

A virus took out my computer so I had to wipe everything. That just means I can get started on Portlandia 2!

Spoiler :

Just an overview. With this map and learning how to place roads for best effect, I'm also including some features from the real Portland like distinctly laid out neighborhoods, split roads and lots of highway overpasses.

Spoiler :

A look down Burnside. I think I'm going to be putting in one way roads to deal with the traffic into the main arterial's.

Spoiler :

A small version of a distinct neighborhood in Portland. I may move it to a different tile where low residential zones would be best represented.

Spoiler :

Downtown Portlandia with Grey Square and the city hall

Spoiler :

You can see the city hall spire poking out of the trees.

Spoiler :

Further down south with green belts and split roads.

Spoiler :

Another residential district across the highway.

Spoiler :

The primary industrial zone where railyards and ports are located.

Spoiler :

And finally, a hikers perspective of the city from the hills.

I'm not new to city-builders per se, but from what I've heard the game seems alright for city-building noobs; like the good old SimCity it appeals to a lot of different people regardless of age/gender/interests/whatever and is sort of like one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" things. It might take you a couple of failed cities but if you aren't that stupid you should get the basics down pretty quickly (for instance keeping residential areas away from pollution, making sure your water system isn't clogged with sewage, etc.). There isn't much a tutorial (there are pop-ups and tooltips at the start of the game to help you, but it isn't a true tutorial per se), but there's already plenty of guides and youtube videos that should help you out if you can't figure things out.
I went ahead and bought it. It seems good and the devs/pubs have made all the right decisions. Pretty fun so far, reasonable learning curve. Don't like the constant twitter updates. I'm still not sure if this kind of game will make me feel entertained rather than occupied with work. It's a pretty open game like minecraft and the elder scrolls series. Time suckers that don't really offer more than you put into the game. Kerbal is another example. Great game, but demanding in time, effort and doesn't come to a great conclusion either.

So it seems that Paradox dev Groogy is using his spare time to create a C:S mod (thread here) that incorporates political and military elements (a la Tropico) into the game. So you'll be able to track demographics and military and religion and etc of each citizen, manipulate them to stay in power, and (eventually) be able to declare yourself independent and have to fight.

It sounds really fun and I shall keep an eye on it.

If he pulls this off, not only with Cities: Skylines make up for the mess that was SimCity, but make up for the ongoing disaster that is Tropico 5.

I've postponed playing until the commercial/parks bug is fixed. Until then I'm keeping myself amused on the map editor.

Truronian's very first map:

Whole area
Spoiler :

Central 5x5
Spoiler :

It's called Kernow Estuary, and it's on the Steam Workshop if anyone wants to try it.

I went ahead and bought it. It seems good and the devs/pubs have made all the right decisions. Pretty fun so far, reasonable learning curve. Don't like the constant twitter updates. I'm still not sure if this kind of game will make me feel entertained rather than occupied with work. It's a pretty open game like minecraft and the elder scrolls series. Time suckers that don't really offer more than you put into the game. Kerbal is another example. Great game, but demanding in time, effort and doesn't come to a great conclusion either.

Yeah it's a sandbox game like TES or whatever. Do wtf you want, that sort of thing. Some folks don't like that sort of freeform gameplay, I guess, others like me do. Anyways, for the faux twitter, given how controversial it is, there's already several mods that take care of that if you want to get rid of that: this one gets rid of the thing entirely, while this one allows you to toggle it on/off if you want to keep it around but don't want to bothered by it most of the time.

I've postponed playing until the commercial/parks bug is fixed. Until then I'm keeping myself amused on the map editor.

Truronian's very first map:

Whole area
Spoiler :

Central 5x5
Spoiler :

It's called Kernow Estuary, and it's on the Steam Workshop if anyone wants to try it.

I need to finetune my Franconia Notch-based map and upload it.

Also, re: the parks/commercial bug, while it does need fixed, so far I've managed to play around it.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?844893-PSA-Official-Progress-Update

Official progress update; 500k+ copies sold now :eek:, they will take good QA time on the first patch, and they have some nice official curated mod collections going to try to bring some order to the mess that is steam workshop.

Some reassuring words on their stance on possible simulation bugs or gameplay issues:
We're also keeping a close eye on discussions on gameplay related issues. Specifically...

Commercial demand possibly being "killed" by parks and rec.
Potential traffic AI issues/improvements
Cause/effect for workers getting to their jobs

If there are bugs causing these issues, we will of course strive to fix them. In case they are design decisions from CO that the players disagree with; we monitor the discussion and take the feedback into consideration going forward. We understand there's a lot of passion for this game and many of you want to see it grow in the best possible direction - your feedback is highly appreciated - but this does not mean we will "blindly" do everything people ask for. CO are very collected, down to earth developers. Do not expect knee-jerk balance/gameplay changes due to active feedback on a specific topic.

Looks like the good times keep rolling for Cities: Skylines.

500k+ copies in less than a week? Damn, at this rate, beating SC2013's 1.1 million in two weeks doesn't seem impossible to me any longer (though still difficult).

There's no such thing as an over-engineered interchange, so long as all the ramps are kept smooth.

I've seen people make much more horrendous interchanges that look more like disgusting hives of wriggling maggot-zombies feasting on a dead carcass. That, by comparison, is alright.

I do think the flexibility with th ramp system is pretty awesome, nevertheless.

I love it. I spent half an hour last night setting up a single mega-interchange over a river (there's an island in the river, but the expressway bridge is elevated so doesn't actually touch the island itself - there are exits to the expressway that form their own bridges from mainland to island...then more connections from the avenues on both sides of the river to the highway.

I've got a city up to 40,000 and am having a LOT of fun. I pretty much spent the whole weekend playing. Haven't had that much involvement and intimacy with a game in a while, although Train Fever got close...

Why do they start you off with such stupid off/on ramps though? Yeah, that's right, I'm complaining about them again. I have taken it upon myself to redesign them. Destroy everything, put a 6 lane highway going overtop the highway on a bridge, then on each side of the bridge add 2 onramps. easy peasy and a lot more efficient than what they start you off with.

Well, I've been playing this game and it's totally worth the price! ^^

It's even gotten a positive review from one of the Youtubers I follow

Link to video.

This guy needs to seriously stop trying to play with his voice so much. Just talk normally, don't try to pretend that you know how to be a voice actor. "HELlooooooo it's me again.. " "Oh God, I hope he doesn't talk like that for the whole video" .. okay so gets a bit better but every once in a while he still tries to do that thing that he does where everything sounds annoying. I think he thinks that he's making things seem more interesting? Well, I don't get why you'd follow this guy, but it's good to see that the game is getting good reviews all around.

I made a groovy compact (and were it to be built IRL: extrememly dangerous) interchange on the asset editor:

Spoiler :

It's called "Slalom Interchange" on the Workshop if anyone is after a compact inner-city highway interchange.

Truronian, I tip my hat to you. That is beautiful.

In a train wreck-ish sort of way, but still, beautiful.

Top Bottom